Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2015, 03:52 PM   #61
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really like Home Evolution down south...
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:05 AM   #62
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks for the suggestions guys, def going to check out Showhome Furniture in Deerfoot and Furniture Extreme!

Don't really have a set budget but looking in the $2000 range for a bedroom set and a few grand for couches and stuff. We don't want to break the bank but also don't want cheap Ikea crap either.
Hi-Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #63
Chingyul
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I still have to check out a bunch of the suggestions from this thread (only popped into Ikea and EQ3 so far), but has anyone used the online sites? Prices are quite a bit less, and it makes sense considering the middle men in the furniture business.

http://www.bryght.com/
Mostly looking at sofa and chairs, but the quality is there on paper with kiln dried wood frames and legs, with some of the dining chairs having engineered (read: particle board?) backs.
Chingyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #64
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ the prices at this place did not really blow me away - but that being said i have not looked at buying furniture in a while.

i guess my concern would be that you are buying a picture, what if you don't like it, then how much to ship it back? at least when you go to a bricks and mortar store you can see what you are getting
Old 01-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #65
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I made the mistake of sitting on a down-filled sofa at Cricklewood when we were shopping for living room furniture. Many $k later, I own an unbelievably comfortable sectional. All their stuff is really top quality, and it isn't all as "country" as the name would lead you to believe. Some very nice more modern styles there too.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #66
FFFLife
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hey guys, first time poster, long time lurker, life time flames fan... blah blah blah...

Anyways I am looking for an oversized sectional for my new house, most sectionals I have seen are too short on one end for the space I have, does anyone have any recommendations for large sectional couches in the city? I'm willing to spend more for the right couch.

Thanks!
FFFLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:09 PM   #67
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

wrong thread

Last edited by topfiverecords; 01-26-2015 at 02:12 PM.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:43 PM   #68
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFFLife View Post
Hey guys, first time poster, long time lurker, life time flames fan... blah blah blah...

Anyways I am looking for an oversized sectional for my new house, most sectionals I have seen are too short on one end for the space I have, does anyone have any recommendations for large sectional couches in the city? I'm willing to spend more for the right couch.

Thanks!
My sectional from Cricklewood I could have made with a variety of lengths on either side and corner styles. Mine is 20' long if you add up both sides. Most places that build to order have a range of what they can build.

Here is an example of pieces you can put together for a sectional http://www.lazarind.com/sites/defaul...ics/Panama.pdf

We printed and cut out the pieces and then drew up the room to the same scale. We could then mix and match the various pieces to get an idea of what would fit in the room.
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2015, 03:22 PM   #69
FFFLife
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
My sectional from Cricklewood I could have made with a variety of lengths on either side and corner styles. Mine is 20' long if you add up both sides. Most places that build to order have a range of what they can build.

Here is an example of pieces you can put together for a sectional http://www.lazarind.com/sites/defaul...ics/Panama.pdf

We printed and cut out the pieces and then drew up the room to the same scale. We could then mix and match the various pieces to get an idea of what would fit in the room.
Thanks for the info, I will go check them out soon, do you remember how long it took to actually get the couch once you spec'd it out?
Old 01-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #70
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFFLife View Post
Thanks for the info, I will go check them out soon, do you remember how long it took to actually get the couch once you spec'd it out?
Therein lies the catch - probably 2 months plus.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #71
FFFLife
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Therein lies the catch - probably 2 months plus.
ahhhh damn, well I move in March but could really wait till April 01 for the couch, I'll go check it out and see what they say, thanks again!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #72
Schraderbrau
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We are also looking for new stuff for our house. Went to surplus furniture by chinook mall. They had some cheap sets in there.
Schraderbrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:27 PM   #73
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Might sound a bit old school, but I picked up a sectional from the Bay for a good price. Leather, with recliner chairs on the ends. Very comfy.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #74
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We ended up getting a really nice bed set at Ashley, we spent a little more than we had planned but are extremely happy with the end result none the less. We wanted to buy from Extreme Furniture as they did indeed beat Ashley's prices but they didn't carry this particular model and Ashley had it in stock so we could have it for the possession date on our house. It was a real wood set instead of the particle board inserts or whatever it's called that the cheaper Ashley sets have.

We also bought a cheap living room set from Ashley for our room that we won't use much. Now we're looking to get some of the leather furniture from Costco before they sell out.

Overall happy with our purchases so far, thanks for the help guys!

Jason
Hi-Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #75
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I had this issue when I first got my new place too. It really depends how you want to decorate and the general them you are going for. It's an older home so was it already renovated with a certain design and color scheme? If you have a coherent theme and idea, it's easier to hunt for furniture bargains depending on the aesthetic you are looking for.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #76
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Urban Barn has a 15% off sale on couches currently. Might be worth checking out ~ http://www.urbanbarn.com/?gclid=COy4...FQVafgodYBUA4g
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #77
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I know there's really no haggling at places like Urban Barn and Crate & Barrel, but how about places like F2 and Revolve? Where are some non-Brick/Ashley/ect places that can move on prices a little bit?

I have a condo to furnish and have a few ideas in mind so I'm curious which places can do what.
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:16 PM   #78
lorenavedon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Calgary is just overpriced junk. Wayfair is the best, 1/3 the price of the junk sold here and free shipping. Oops too bad they're in the US and charge like $200 to ship a chair to Canada. Too bad. Out of luck
lorenavedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:10 PM   #79
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really find the Urban Barn stuff to be of good quality.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote