Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #41
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bumping an old thread rather than starting a new one.

I just bought a condo and would like some recommendations on furniture. I am looking at getting some modern, high quality furniture, would like to say that price isn't an issue, but it is. I will spend money if I find something I like however, so no recommendations for Ikea please.

My plan for now is to get a fairly large sectional, a bed, stools and all the associated accessories in terms of lighting, end tables. etc.

Thanks.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #42
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sweet, glad you bumped the thread! I never pass up on an opportunity to slag Ashley furniture (see previous posts). I have nothing else productive to add, except that we had a custom piece made at Modern Country Interiors in Inglewood for a hard to fit wall (custom bookshelf/wine rack). Reasonably priced and looks great. Also got some decorating odds and sods there, which seemed to be a fair price.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #43
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What I do is look up the manufacturer of a particular furniture piece and then either try and deal direct or with a rep. Some manufactuer's won't let you buy this way but many will. The price you get is usually 30% less than the "deal" you get going the retail route.

Also on some of the higher end "classic" or "contemporary" pieces. (Think Bauhaus era) you get get those pieces from the office furniture dealers for a better price than the retail outlets.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #44
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

People should go to more auctions. Good pieces can be had for cheap.

Our kitchen table was $1.00.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #45
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Bumping an old thread rather than starting a new one.

I just bought a condo and would like some recommendations on furniture. I am looking at getting some modern, high quality furniture, would like to say that price isn't an issue, but it is. I will spend money if I find something I like however, so no recommendations for Ikea please.

My plan for now is to get a fairly large sectional, a bed, stools and all the associated accessories in terms of lighting, end tables. etc.

Thanks.
If price isn't too much of a concern, and you want high quality modern furniture, I would suggest Revolve, 4Living, or even Soujourn.
For similar style, but a lower price point (without a huge drop in quality) I would suggest EQ3.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #46
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I'm not too fond of revolve, I don't fell they have the same quality as the others. EQ is Canadian made as well.

I will suggest F2 Furnishings, they carry EQ3 product as well and they are good guys. I will plug them as they carry my product line and if you buy as much as you are looking at they will give you a good deal and potentially throw in one of my clocks! If you are into that style.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #47
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have checked out EQ3, revolve and sojourn and some of their stuff is nice, but a lot of it is meh. Haven't heard of 4living or F2, but will definitely check those out. I think part of the problem is I have exactly what I want in my mind, but can't find a real example of it.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #48
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because you said you are looking for "modern, high quality furniture", I think that eliminates The Brick, but just in case, I will say it: AVOID THE BRICK! They are complete garbage and horrible to deal with.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #49
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a designer I've been through a ton of stores in town for all types of clients and where I always go back to for decent quality, affordable pricing, and good current/classic styling is Urban Barn. You'll find some of the same stuff in other stores for up to 50% more.

Almost bought my own sofa at a more boutique furniture store for $1800 until I looked up the manufacturer online to check out my leg finish options. I then realized I could get the same one at Urban Barn for $1100 (with a bit of a designer discount mind you).
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #50
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Revolve is not the same company it used to be. Lot's of offshore (China) product in there now with nice European names.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #51
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I made the guy at the brick give it to me in writing that they wouldn't contact me for any promotions (before I'd sign to purchase anything) and would only use my contact information for delivery purposes. I get ~3 calls/month from their automated system.

I've also called, written, and emailed their privacy officer asking to be taken off their marketing lists, and have gotten no reply and no reduction in calls. They have a privacy policy, but it's a lie.
Blake: These are the new leads. These are the Glengarry leads. And to you they're gold, and you don't get them. Why? Because to give them to you would be throwing them away. They're for closers.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #52
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thought I would bump this thread, I just bought a new house so looking to furnish pretty much the whole place. So far I've been to the Brick, Leons, Ashley and a few others and most of the stuff looks and feels like crap. I'm gonna check out EQ3 and Urban Barn but anyone else have any suggestions?

Has anyone ordered bedroom sets from Costco online? I don't doubt they are awesome quality considering their price but it sucks ordering something site unseen.
Hi-Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #53
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Sears Home stores have been good to us however Jacques has been very, very good to deal with.

PM me if you'd like the name of our sales associate. She was fantastic to deal with and absolutely not pushy at all, definitely the first stop for me to go to the next time we need something.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #54
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure on your price range, but I recently bought a lot of furniture on a somewhat tight budget. Went with a place called "Furniture Extreme" - its on MacLeod in the Brick Plaza.

Basically, its a mail order system but all of their stuff is Ashley Furniture. So you go to Ashley, find what you like and then order from there for about 40% or so less than Ashley. I know you mentioned Ashley in your post already, but I think the quality is there for the price you get at Furniture Extreme.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #55
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you end up liking EQ3 you might be interested in checking out Kit as well.

http://www.kitinteriorobjects.com/

BoConcept is another if you're into the minimalist design first aesthetic.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:18 PM   #56
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

There is a really cool place in Deerfoot Mall. I just recently bought a bed from there.

http://showhome-furniture.com/

From my understanding they buy items from show homes and re-sell them as well as order new pieces that would be in a show home. Reasonable prices too.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:20 PM   #57
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We have ordered our better stuff from 4Living. It is on 17th Ave SW and 14th St.

They have excellent quality furniture. The price vs. quality is good, although it is more than Ikea but less than BoConcept. A couch would run you about $2500ish-$4000ish depending on what you want. It is excellent quality and very current styling.

My opinion is if your going to go cheap, go to Ikea. If you are going to spend more, make sure it is good stuff, but not over the top expensive. Home Evolution, 4Living, even some of Crate and Barrel (on sale) is where I think value is.

However, when I win the lottery then I will be heading here: http://www.montauksofa.com/
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #58
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
However, when I win the lottery then I will be heading here: http://www.montauksofa.com/
I've only peaked through the window when they were closed but now that I know what store that is... very nice stuff! Huge fan of the Chieftain Chair.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #59
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I talked with the owner of F2 Furnishings today and he is have a sale on right now. They also carry EQ3 as an FYI.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:40 PM   #60
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ so does this mean that F2 = EQ3

have you thought of just buyinag about 1,000 pillows and just throwing them around your place?