Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
Lt.Spears
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Where to buy Furniture.

Hey guys, so i just bought a new place and i need to fill it with some furniture, now i don't have the kind of money for real leather or Crate and Barrel type furniture so im asking CP where i should start looking for some stuff, i need a couch, chair, love seat, some end tables etc.

I already know IKEA has some stuff but ive been warned its kind of crappy and wont last long.

Thanks.
Lt.Spears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

IKEA have some good stuff and some that won't last. I've got stuff from there that's still doing well after 15 years or more. Leon's has some reasonably priced furniture as well (so do the Brick, but my experiences there have been pretty bad). In general if you're not paying much for furniture you can't expect it to last forever, but so long as it's relatively sturdy it should do reasonably well under normal use. Usually it's the furniture with moving parts (e.g. drawers) that falls apart quickly if you cheap out.
Ashartus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You can always buy used. There are some quality stuff in good condition that can be had for much cheaper than the original price.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=115601
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Don't go to Ashley furniture. Worst experience ever. It took me 6 months to get my order and I'm still missing a piece. Crooks.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been buying furniture recently and I would say in most cases you get what you pay for. If you are really limited with your budget I don't see any reason you can't go on Kijiji and get some decent second hand items for a bargain price.

Buying cheap stuff just because its brand new probably isn't going to get you anything of great quality. What I've tried to remember is that furniture is somewhat of a long term purchase so get something you like at a price you feel comfortable with, don't just focus on the lowest price option unless you really have to.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you are looking for budget type stuff try United Furniture Warehouse. They are located in the SE furniture district (Heritage/Glenmore/Deerfoot).

You might also want to look into estate sales - although this would likely require more legwork and would be more hit and miss.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Higher end shopping in the design district.

http://www.stylenorth.ca/blog/2009/0...trict-calgary/

Reading fail on my part, thought you said that you could afford, I know I can't. However the link is there for those that can afford the "higher end" stuff.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Don't go to Ashley furniture. Worst experience ever. It took me 6 months to get my order and I'm still missing a piece. Crooks.
+1

Heard nothing, but bad things about Ashley furniture and issues getting warranty work completed or missing pieces from my circle of friends.

Stay away.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

If you are crazy and go to The Brick, give them a fake phone number and email address. I cannot stress this enough. I bought a freezer from them 2 years ago and still get a monthly phone call and several emails. They even get my name wrong in the automated message... makes my blood boil. it's been persistent and annoying enough for me to caution anybody against buying anything from them.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you have the cash, Kijiji can get you some really great stuff at awesome prices. There are tons of furniture ads on there.

If you need to finance, places like the Brick or Sears can work as well.

Might be a bit out of your price range, but yesterday I was at the Brick looking at a rocker recliner for my newly built man cave.

http://www1.thebrick.com/brickb2c/js...ump&navCount=5

That thing is ridiculous!

- power reclining
- massage vibrate on back and seat
- two level heat controls
- a "Frosty Fridge" compartment under the left arm. Holds 4 beer and keeps them cool by enclosing them ice packs that are molded to hold cans
- storage in the right arm for remotes, etc.

I am currently trying to convince the wife that this chair is an absolute necessity!

P.S. - Should also add they had it for 750

Last edited by Top Shelf; 03-26-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For a decent couch setup I would recomend Nordesign. They have some funky Eurotrash type furniture but if you look they have some decent non funny looking furniture/leather couches for a decent price. Definately better quality than the brick or united.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
+1 for Ashley furniture being douchbags
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
Mattington
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
if you are looking for budget type stuff try United Furniture Warehouse. They are located in the SE furniture district (Heritage/Glenmore/Deerfoot).
We shopped at this United location last year when looking for a bed frame. Probably the sleaziest sales people I have ever encountered. The salesman showed us 2 bed frames that we didn't like before trying to sell us a mattress instead. I would stay away.

We ended up buying a sectional at La-z-boy, might be a bit on the expensive side but it was well worth it, very well built. Also the sales person was pretty good, pretty much just showed us a few couches in the style we were interested in, then stayed out of our way while we sat in a bunch of couches and made our decision.

We also bought a bunch of furniture at Leons, decent quality stuff for a reasonable price.
Mattington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #14
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
If you are crazy and go to The Brick, give them a fake phone number and email address. I cannot stress this enough.
So what happens when they call you to confirm delivery, or anything else?

I simply tell them I do not want to be contacted for any promotions; and they don't.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Cargo XS is great for dirt cheap odds and ends (tables, cookware, cleaning supplies, etc). Definitely recommend checking them out.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #16
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently bought some stuff at Timothy Fred's on McLeod Trail. They just opened up, and it's a stupid name, but they had good prices and a distinct lack of the usual DB vibe from the salespeople. I'd recommend them.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post

I simply tell them I do not want to be contacted for any promotions; and they don't.
I made the guy at the brick give it to me in writing that they wouldn't contact me for any promotions (before I'd sign to purchase anything) and would only use my contact information for delivery purposes. I get ~3 calls/month from their automated system.

I've also called, written, and emailed their privacy officer asking to be taken off their marketing lists, and have gotten no reply and no reduction in calls. They have a privacy policy, but it's a lie.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #18
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

There is a "Scratch and dent" area in the Brick location by Sunridge. Some furniture is ripped but mostly it is floor room stuff that they rotate out every 3 months. I bought a reclining sectional a few months ago for $1100 that was regularly 2200. It has a few scuffs on the leather part where your feet rest when you recline but nothing a little cleaning could not take care of.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #19
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post

I have no idea how you managed to do this. Much like bizaro86 I've talked to people on the phone and sent emails, and neither worked to get me off their list.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #20
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird I got stuff from Ashley like 7 years ago when I moved out and never had a problem. Bought a couch, recliner, bed set and it was delivered on time and haven't had any quality issues yet.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote