Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Jan. 28th 2015 Let's Talk Mental Health Awareness

http://letstalk.bell.ca/en/

I know last year, rubecube started a similar thread about this, but it's a new year so I felt a new topic would be appropriate.

I am very thankful for Bell for this campaign. And am very glad as someone who has battled mental health over the years, that we can raise awareness over mental health issues instead of hiding.

So much like last year, lets use this topic as an open discussion where people can share their experiences and those who don't know a lot about mental illness can ask questions and not be ridiculed or accused of being ignorant for doing so.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #2
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taking some images from last years thread. Credit goes to rubecube and Dion.

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2015, 10:05 PM   #3
vegasbound
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for starting this. As someone who "came out" about struggling with borderline bipolar, just last week (I posted a thread on it), I am especially appreciative of Bell for raising awareness.
vegasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:31 PM   #4
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Patrick Burke shared his story of depression on Twitter tonight. I love how this campaign gives people the chance to share their stories and experiences.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:44 PM   #5
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

An excerpt from an interview with Clint Malarchuk where he mentions this campaign. His book is incredibly insightful, and I very highly recommend it for everyone.

Quote:
DW: Do you think the NHL is doing enough to help players' when in comes to the issue of mental health and mental illness?

CM: I don't think it's the NHL, I think it's society in general that has to do more about mental health awareness. Bell is probably the biggest corporation doing the most with mental health. The program Let's Talk nationwide is extensive and high profile, with high profile people involved. It's really what we need. To me they're [Bell] at the forefront leading what everybody else has to pick up on. The NHL, NFL, NBA and even including corporations worldwide need to pick up on this. The statistics are unbelievable on days lost in the workforce due to mental health reasons. If corporations looked at those numbers, they'd figure out they need to do something here. It's a win-win if we get going on this. It's no different than physical health, if you've got cancer or a medical problem where you're going to miss work you would tell your boss. If you have a mental health problem you don't go to your boss. But if the company saw those numbers they would say, “hey, if you have problems like that, just come to us, it's totally confidential, and we'll get you some help” because let's face it business is about money. Having people out of work is probably losing companies money. If there can be preventative medicine, they would do it.
http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.asp...chuk&id=465916
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2015, 11:54 PM   #6
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Just signed up for my first course of antidepressants this morning. My first go around with mental illness of any kind. It was a long time coming and the product of a lot of denial, bottling up, and neglect of relationships and other support structures.

So far it strikes me as very different from just worry or being down. It really is more like a flu of the mind. Something you can't reason or shake yourself out of, or rely on the passage of time to save you.

On the bright side, it's forced me to open up for the first time in a long while. Re-connecting with people close to me.

It's a bugger though. Just pervasive. I'm pretty optimistic I can lick it though. At least right now.

It is interesting how much more stigma I feel about it, from talking to friends, taking leave from work, or just picking up a prescription. That's why it's important more people talk about it. It's hard enough as it is without pressure to isolate yourself further.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2015, 01:31 AM   #7
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Been on medication since 2007, for mainly anxiety and some depression, it was the best decision I made to get help and start dealing with a problem I knew was there long before.

I am very happy to see these campaigns, Iceland has come a long way as well. 2 Must watch videos for those who want help understanding what we go through.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:58 AM   #8
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The end goal of these talks should be about reducing the stigma that goes with mental illness. It's a huge barrier that prevents people from reaching out for help.

Quote:
Silja shares with us what it is like to be in a state of depression by conveying her own experience. She seeks to destigmatize depression and mental illness and encourages us to take a different look at how we as a society deal with these issues.

Silja is a film theory student at the University of Iceland, columnist and motivational speaker who focuses on depression and related matters.

Quote:
Mark Henick is the youngest member of the board of directors for the Mental Health Commission of Canada. In this video he talks about his personal experience with suicide as a teen

Last edited by Dion; 01-28-2015 at 02:09 AM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2015, 02:01 AM   #9
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Silja is awesome!
Old 01-28-2015, 06:56 AM   #10
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was diagnosed with depression in 2000, and shortly thereafter decided that I'd be open about it. First thing I discovered was that when you talk openly about being depressed was that so many others would say "I've never told anyone, but I have that too". There's more of us out there than you'd think, and we can help each other if we know we're there.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:55 AM   #11
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I love this campaign, becuase I think the stigma around mental illness goes away a little bit each and every year. That's not to say the stigma isn't there, but this awareness campaign every year has done a world of good for breaking down people's hesitation in talking about this.

Help is out there, friends are willing to listen, no one should have to fight this battle alone. All the best to everyone today, those with mental illness and those who are helping others fight the battle.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #12
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Read a blog and trying to find their source that with Bell's released numbers from last year, social media only accounted 3% of the $5.5 million that was raised.

Though even if that is true, I'm comfortable with Bell still counting all of their customers usage and the increased awareness discussion on mental health.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #13
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was diagnosed with depression a number of years ago and put on medication and given coping tools to deal with it. Friends and family were shocked when I told them and advised they never really saw any signs. However, I think that a lot of people don't know what to look for.

It's not just about the discussion for me and raising awareness; I think one of the biggest things we can do as a society is learn the signs of depression in ourselves and others so that we CAN talk to people we care about when we see these things.

I have been off the medication for years now as I continued utilizing the coping techniques they gave me until I was able to tackle my depression head on. Not all are fortunate enough to be able to deal with the disease as I was and I continually watch for signs in my friends and family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireFly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #14
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Super important day, as the stigma truly needs to end. I have a ton of people in my family diagnosed with various forms.

It really is a silent killer and in some cases impossible to detect in people, unless they're comfortable enough to talk about it. Never has it been more apparent as it was with Robin Williams, who was seemingly one of the happiest persons in the world.

Goon on Bell for raising awareness.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #15
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #16
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 01-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #17
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recall stumbling on this artist a while back (no idea how) and I read the 200 ish strips that were there at the time.

Eye opening.
Not sure if the below would be considered NSFW... mainly for language.

http://www.depressioncomix.com/posts/001/

These comics are definitely a perspective I had never considered before. I would not dare say it's the exact same for all individuals with depression, but it helped me to understand more about depression. These comics won't help you understand it. I think that's the point. If you don't have it, you can't understand it. But it also doesn't mean you can't support someone, which these strips highlight as well.

Just to note, I don't have depression. I found the comic strips good for identifying topics of discussion though.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #18
FiftyBelow
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was formally diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder a couple of months ago. However, I was struggling through the symptoms for the last 5 years without fully comprehending what was going on. The biggest thing for me was mustering up the courage to get help. The first step is always the hardest but wow do I ever feel like an entirely different person nowadays.

As an aside one organization that I follow really closely is the Mental Health Commission of Canada. They do amazing work and have come out with some fantastic publications. Now if only we could get their stuff into the right hands... politicians, businesses etc. Nonetheless, witnessing their initiatives gives me great hope for the future that the stigma will be overcome.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:19 PM   #19
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Here's me Facebook status today:

Quote:
If you've ever wondered what it's like to live with Anxiety & Depression I highly recommend reading Clink Malarchuck's autobiography "The Crazy Game".

The book has more to do with mental health than hockey, both Clint Marlarchuck and co-author Dan Robson do an amazing job to convey how Clint was thinking when he OD'ed on pills & alcohol, his Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder after having his jugular severed during a hockey game; and the thought process both before and after he shot himself in the head.

In the book he makes the stellar argument that if your pancreas doesn't produce enough insulin, no one treats you any differently and help you get the help you need; however if your brain doesn't produce enough serotonin there's a stigma and people treat you differently.

This is what makes today important.

Read the book!

Tweet, share, support

‪#‎BellLetsTalk‬
I've worked with people who have suffered from mental health issues, I have family members who have and still do suffer from mental health issues, and I have friends that have suffered and still suffer from mental health issues.

To me a mental health issue isn't any different from a physical one. I guess that's not entirely true, I do treat you differently if you have the flu or a cold (I won't shake your hand and stay 15 feet away, haha).

I think we've all suffered from some form of mental health issue in the past, it's part of growing and getting stronger.

I think I've battled depression on some level, but I don't know if it was serious like others have suffered (maybe that's part of the problem thinking we're not as bad as others so we don't get help?)

Regardless, I think the stigma needs to be lifted.

Bell Let's Talk is a great initiative, we need more companies to jump on this.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2015, 08:39 PM   #20
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've posted about some of my matters a couple times but I am going to go into more detail this time.

I am male and 30 years old. I was diagnosed with ADHD at 6, at 19 I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder and depression, at 20 I had the diagnosis of ADHD re-affirmed while going to SAIT.

At 26 I had another bout with depression that led to panic attacks that forced me to quit my then new job with Siemens. It took six months for me to recover, unfortunately I then walked into a mentally toxic workplace. I 'manned up' and held down that toxic job for a year and a half while it drove me into the ground by reaffirming all of the fears that I have carried with me since I was a child. I was apparently a rather anxious and emotional child.

After that year and a half I finally left, I was depressed, angry and jaded. I was being pushed into a dark place I fantasized about being hurt so I wouldn't have to go in. I made a big mistake in not seeking help after leaving as I thought I would get better after removing myself from the problem. I was already on an antidepressant from my bout at 26, but I was really just a time bomb and I detonated June 3, 2013.

June 3, 2013 was the day I tried to start a new job that met all of my needs. Everyone was friendly, which made the fact that I nearly burst into tears every time I tried to speak more than two words all the more puzzling and frustrating. None of the coping techniques I had been taught before were working and I was having thoughts of self harm as away to try and escape the panic. And when I say self harm I mean only that I wasn't thinking of suicide, yet.

At this point I realized I needed to enlist professional help again. I ended up seeing a very nice therapist. But despite all this the next four times I tried to start a new job I was greeted with ever stronger panic attacks. Therapy wasn't working nor were any medications, I was literately shrugging of Zanax or Adivan like it was a placebo.

I got to celebrate my 29 birthday with a panic attack, but just a few months later on my 4th attempt to start a job I ended up at the Foothills Emergency Room, suffering from the worst panic attack yet and seriously considering suicide. I was tired of the humiliation, fear, anger, self hatred and financial struggle.

But as it turns out the Foothills is where they have the ADHD clinic and after an assessment I was enrolled in the clinic. Turns out that what I was being told about how and when to take ADHD medications was wrong. It was also at the clinic that I learned why the anti anxiety meds I had been given did not work; I have an elevated level of norepinephrine and reduced levels of dopamine. Norepinephrine is key to the fight or flight response that had been hitting me like freight train. When I was in the mist of panic over a new job it really felt like being caught a grizzly while on the edge of a cliff, either get mauled or jump.

And so with the right help I am no longer playing russian roulette quite so much. It still hasn't been entirely smooth, and I was terminated at a job for the first time ever, which I was always worried about having happen, now doubly so. But I think I am stabilizing as I continue to learn about myself and the changes that I have undergone and continue to under go. Some of these changes are quite interesting, but I don't think I will write about them in this post.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Duruss For This Useful Post: