Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #301
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Has anyone used this Inverter Generator?

http://www.costco.ca/Champion%c2%ac%...100118537.html

I've had my eye on it for a whille, and think that it just might be exactly what i'm looking for without going up to a Honda.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #302
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

that's the exact one I'm looking at as well, that and the Kipor 3000 watt one

http://www.generatoremporium.com/kipor-IG3000.html

Last edited by MacDaddy77; 01-20-2015 at 09:20 AM.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:51 AM   #303
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
so based on that chart if I have a 3000 watt inverter and went on a 3 day trip making say 6 pots of coffee and have 2 12 volt deep cell marine batteries I should be good to not run out of power right?
Let's go with the following numbers:
1200 watt coffee maker
Brew cycle takes 15 minutes
Two 12 volt batteries at 100 amp hours each
And we don't want to push the batteries below 50%

So each brew cycle would draw 25 amp hours from your batteries
(1200 watts divided by 12 volts is 100 amps; divided by 4 (1/4 hour)= 25 amp hours)
Conceivably you could get 4 brew cycles out of your batteries, assuming the following things:
- nothing else is drawing power. Not even a clock or single light.
- There is zero loss when using the inverter. (which is not true, there is always loss.)
- The last big assumption is that your batteries could provide that amount of continuous power for that long. I know I ran into issues providing power for a 200 watt Xbox from battery power in my SUV, the power level kept dropping.

I think that if you have to have electric appliances running, the generator is the way to go. Personally as mentioned I've gone away from needing AC power for anything; to the point that on my last dry camping trip a buddy gave me his generator in case I wanted it, and I left it behind.

You might be able to get it to work with a lower power coffee maker, or rigging something to run from your vehicle and have the engine running while making coffee. However like Bob said, having a vehicle running to make coffee would just kill the aroma factor.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2015, 11:05 AM   #304
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

How many people?
If for a few http://www.amazon.ca/The-Coleman-Com.../dp/B001K7IDVU
I'm not a coffee drinker but my addicted friends use that.

If youre making a solo cup get the jet boil java. Coffee in two minutes.
I have one and use it for soup. Amazing as it burns in extreme cold and ridiculously fast.
http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Flash-Java-Kit-Tomato/
Old 01-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #305
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had absolutly no idea it would draw that much! definitely getting the insulated french press mug X2

thanks,
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #306
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The champion generator is loud, but does the job. I have a honda eu2000i and it's pretty quiet, but expensive. I just bought a goal zero yeti 400. One thing I found is that most sites we go to, only have limited generator use. It helps having a quiet one, because sometime I've had to run beyond the hours, and never had a complaint, but it's also the reason I got the Yeti.

For coffee we use an Aeropress. Awesome coffee and super easy cleanup.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #307
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Did you have the champion one? My buddy has the 2000W one and although is not quite on the same level as my other friend's Yamaha, it still was surprisingly quiet.

Or are you just compairing the Champion to your Honda? Because that I get for saying that it's loud
Old 01-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #308
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
Did you have the champion one? My buddy has the 2000W one and although is not quite on the same level as my other friend's Yamaha, it still was surprisingly quiet.

Or are you just compairing the Champion to your Honda? Because that I get for saying that it's loud
sorry, yes, I'm comparing it my honda. I borrowed a friends Champion once. Then a neighbours Yamaha 2400, which I quite liked. Had enough power to run AC (with nothing else running), and was quiet. I searched for used Yamaha's and Honda's and ended up with the Honda because it was in great shape and a good price. My Honda will not run my AC. But I've only ever wanted and used AC once while camping, so I'm not too worried about.

Also, if you are down in the US, go to Costco. They have this one with a Yamaha engine for $599

http://www.costco.com/Smarter-Tools-...100121916.html
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #309
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post

Also, if you are down in the US, go to Costco. They have this one with a Yamaha engine for $599

http://www.costco.com/Smarter-Tools-...100121916.html
Thanks for that. I'm going to look into this one as well. I like the idea of the 3100W for the Champion as I do run my AC once in a while in the summer when we dry camp. It's just nice to have the option.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #310
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quick bump.

Anyone who needs tickets for free admission to the RV show tomorrow, or half price Friday, shoot me a PM, and I can arrange to meet you in the concourse before the show with passes.

They are good for free admission tomorrow, or 1/2 price Friday until 1:00.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2015, 11:30 AM   #311
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

thread title might need a change to just "camping thread". Not sure the year is relevant.

Anyways, we just bought a used 2004 Mallard 20N trailer. I grew up camping (in a tent trailer) but my wife never did. We compromised on the hard-walled trailer (with a toilet/shower for her) and I'm hoping to get some good camping trips out of it this year!

The previous owner didn't give us a really good run-through of how things work, so I'm wondering if there are any tips/tricks/things to watch out for?

He seemed to take good care of it. upgraded the batteries to 6V and everything looked good inside (and roof had no leaks or damage at all).

I also know he winterized it every year, so I guess my first step will be figuring out how to drain the antifreeze.

and the black water draining. eww, not looking forward to that.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #312
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just read through this entire thread again.

Great information, good work all
Old 03-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #313
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

De-winterizing is the easy part. Just run fresh water through until everything runs clear. I use bottled water for drinking, so I don't run my system as long. If you want to use it for drinking, I'd run a bleach solution through your water lines.

I buy disposable gloves for dumping the black tank. Also my trailer now has an outside enclosure for the hose. Don't buy a cheap sewer hose. Dump black tank before the grey; so the hose gets rinsed.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #314
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Do you save the antifreeze to use again next year? I don't imagine that it gets used up at all?
Old 03-26-2015, 01:48 PM   #315
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Do you save the antifreeze to use again next year? I don't imagine that it gets used up at all?
When you run fresh water through all the antifreeze will empty into your grey tank, and you will dump it when you dump the tank. so there is no way to save it (and no point).

Also for future reference you aren't using typical antifreeze like you would use in a car. You will be using special antifreeze that is pink.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #316
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
When you run fresh water through all the antifreeze will empty into your grey tank, and you will dump it when you dump the tank. so there is no way to save it (and no point).

Also for future reference you aren't using typical antifreeze like you would use in a car. You will be using special antifreeze that is pink.
Thanks, that makes sense.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #317
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If anybody needs a small genny I will be putting a honda 1000 for sale shortly.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #318
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bumping this one for what looks like a lack of better options...

It's the annual scramble to find a campsite on May long where it isn't going to be freezing cold!

We don't own an RV, so we'll be tenting, but the family we're going with does have an RV. We were going to go to Sibbald Lake, but the weather is looking less than ideal there. It looks like the weather might be OK near Red Deer. So with that said, anyone have any campsite recommendations for that area?

Thanks!
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #319
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

CBC had a segment on the radio this morning about last minute camping for the long weekend. They listed some sites which still have spots. Maybe check the podcast out.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #320
ruddstud
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default .

We have room at our group camp site this weekend. We are all 35-45 y/0 with kids so theres lots of noise!! If you have kids and fit the age range PM me and i can send you the info...

Last edited by ruddstud; 05-14-2015 at 10:00 AM.
ruddstud is offline   Reply With Quote