Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2015, 03:42 PM   #221
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
My god, if they could somehow convert the westhills location into a Costco... It would be amazing (and horrid for traffic in that already-horrid area)...

But I am sure the store is less than 1/3 the sq. ft Costco needs.

TLDR: Find a way to add a few more Costco's to Calgary.
Pretty sure there are some two-story Costcos.

Shows what I know about malls: I didn't even know there was a Target at Westhills, and I live a few clicks away. That'd be an even better place for a Costco!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:53 PM   #222
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
Grandpa! You joined CP!
If I was grandpa, I'd be telling everybody to go shop at Sears. Ugggh. How does that dinosaur still exist?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #223
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
He would have called it "Costcutters".
Well, there is no question he'd only shop for clothing there, only if he couldn't find it at SAAN's!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #224
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
If I was grandpa, I'd be telling everybody to go shop at Sears. Ugggh. How does that dinosaur still exist?
I have a friend that works there. It sounds like quite the place.

It's like they don't even try anymore and are just waiting for someone to make them an offer they can't refuse on each parcel of land.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #225
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I saw on the news last night something about Home Depot and Sears wanting to hire ex-Target employees. My first thought was.. Sears? How do they still hire people? Aren't they dead yet?
woob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #226
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
Well, there is no question he'd only shop for clothing there, only if he couldn't find it at SAAN's!
Please direct me to the nearest FIELDS or THE BARGAIN SHOPPE! in Calgary please.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #227
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Please direct me to the nearest FIELDS or THE BARGAIN SHOPPE! in Calgary please.

I remember my mom trying to take us shopping at SAAN / FIELDS in Ponoka as a kid . . Before the bargain shoppe days
Pretty sure I told her I she was going to get me beat up
Old 01-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #228
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uniqlo is planning to open their first store in Canada next year. I've never followed the company but I've seen and heard quite a few people rave about the brand. If they have any sort of expansion plan for Canada I can't help but think either the Chinook or Market Mall locations would be a great flagship store for them.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #229
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Uniqlo is planning to open their first store in Canada next year. I've never followed the company but I've seen and heard quite a few people rave about the brand. If they have any sort of expansion plan for Canada I can't help but think either the Chinook or Market Mall locations would be a great flagship store for them.
I'd describe it as a Japanese GAP/H&M that's a bit fresher & brighter and a little more upscale.

Also, this:

http://www.uniqlo.jp/uniqlock/

(Not just a clock, keep watching for a few minutes)
Old 01-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #230
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
They're very similar to a store like Zara or H&M in terms of price, style and store apperance, but they also have some athletic wear. They sponsor Novak Djokovic (Serbian Tennis Star). They have very high quality materials too. I bought a rain jacket that works great, looks good, has a hood and zips up properly while fitting entirely in my pant pocket. Lots of neat stuff like that.

I like them a lot but I only went to their location in Paris so that might have been a flagship location. I'm not sure if they have smaller locations.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:50 AM   #231
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I saw on the news last night something about Home Depot and Sears wanting to hire ex-Target employees. My first thought was.. Sears? How do they still hire people? Aren't they dead yet?
Welcome to Sears, ex-Target employee. Here is your name tag as well as severance package.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #232
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
They're very similar to a store like Zara or H&M in terms of price, style and store apperance, but they also have some athletic wear. They sponsor Novak Djokovic (Serbian Tennis Star). They have very high quality materials too. I bought a rain jacket that works great, looks good, has a hood and zips up properly while fitting entirely in my pant pocket. Lots of neat stuff like that.

I like them a lot but I only went to their location in Paris so that might have been a flagship location. I'm not sure if they have smaller locations.
Every Uniqlo I've visited is quite large, even in congested cities where space is at a premium. Just like every multinational retailer, the clothes are made all over the place like Bangladesh, Malaysia, Korea, China, etc. but it's quality with clothes that are less-disposable as H&M, etc. and more colorful and hip than the stoic and anemic funeral-scape of Zara. They also have a line of interesting licensed pop-culture t-shirts that change every season and cost pennies. Everything from Fender (guitars), Snoopy, anime characters, Andy Warhol, Classic Rock, Walt Disney, Star Wars, Comics, etc. sort of like what Urban Outfitters has but cheap.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-27-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #233
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Target Canada's list of creditors.

http://www.alvarezandmarsal.com/site...02015%29_0.pdf
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #234
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Because I'm a fricking nerd...

All creditors over $1m.

Spoiler!
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #235
DigitalCarpenter
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammer403 View Post
Oh and a Starbucks where Shoppers is too in Market

On another note, anyone know why Easystreet went out of business in Sunridge and Chinook? too young to rememeber. A spot like that would be good for a business like that.
I worked for them back in the day.

They tried to expand into Toronto and left the Calgary locations to fend for themselves, when they failed in Toronto they took down the whole franchise.
DigitalCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #236
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would absolutely love a Uniqlo in Calgary. Majority of their stuff I won't buy but I certainly would take my time looking and trying things out which is a rarity.
If they could somehow keep the relative low cost of it when they expand into Toronto (and beyond), that would be fantastic for consumers.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:20 PM   #237
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Because I'm a fricking nerd...

All creditors over $1m.

[spoiler] 3,068,729,438 – Nicollet Enterprise 1 S.A.R.L.
102,081,587 – Target Corporation
21,870,101 – Target Brands Inc
Nicollet is also Target isn't it? Confusing when they owe so much money to themselves...
Old 01-28-2015, 02:21 PM   #238
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalCarpenter View Post
I worked for them back in the day.

They tried to expand into Toronto and left the Calgary locations to fend for themselves, when they failed in Toronto they took down the whole franchise.
Well that model would not have lasted anyway as arcade games and stuff just aren't popular anymore. What else was there to do at Easy Street? I can't remember. It was just like a bigger Chuck E Cheese without the animatronics.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:34 PM   #239
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well that model would not have lasted anyway as arcade games and stuff just aren't popular anymore. What else was there to do at Easy Street? I can't remember. It was just like a bigger Chuck E Cheese without the animatronics.
You are underestimating the power of children liking crappy prizes.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:40 PM   #240
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If I remember correctly, the Chinook location had laser tag (which is always popular among kids) and there may have been mini-golf as well.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 01-28-2015 at 02:42 PM.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote