Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2024, 01:27 PM   #1041
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Having a good Friday afternoon?

A few months ago people were swearing that the Flames would never sell the UFAs if they were close to a playoff spot. Also many were outraged that the Flames would never in a million years retain salary. Let's see what happens before being outraged.
It's a speculation thread so all I can do is speculate based on the bread crumb info they let out.

Maybe it's all lip service and their fully on the rebuild track.
Only time will tell.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 01:32 PM   #1042
Pickle Juice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Totally a pipe dream but is there any way the flames target Sam Reinhart in free agency?
Pickle Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 01:33 PM   #1043
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Having a good Friday afternoon?

A few months ago people were swearing that the Flames would never sell the UFAs if they were close to a playoff spot. Also many were outraged that the Flames would never in a million years retain salary. Let's see what happens before being outraged.
I don’t think anyone said either of those things. At least not anywhere I saw.

I actually think that the fact that simply trading UFA’s who aren’t re-signing, and retaining to maximize return, when you aren’t in a playoff spot - is even a debate in this city shows we have some deep seeded organizational issues.

For literally every other team in the league that is just standard operating procedure. It would be absurd to do anything else in that situation.

And I don’t blame Conroy at all. He’s done the best he can. He inherited an absolute mess
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 02:30 PM   #1044
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Juice View Post
Totally a pipe dream but is there any way the flames target Sam Reinhart in free agency?
Hard to imagine why he would come to Calgary, as he needs a very good centre to produce.

Face it, Calgary won't be a destination for any premium UFA's as they rebuild/retool.

Even Conroy indicated they'd be looking at shorter term UFA's. No use signing a guy like Reinhart to a 7 year contract as he'll be starting to decline before Calgary is a playoff team.

Calgary is not going to get out of its hole by signing UFA's. That's likely just digging a bigger hole.

They'll need to build up its core from the floor up through the draft and current prospects.

Once that is established, they can presumably supplement through UFA.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 02:33 PM   #1045
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
"Conroy has stressed he wants the Flames to be competitive. More than anything, Markstrom wants a chance to be competitive. Is there a way to do that in Calgary on this contract?"

"Conroy said he intends to lay out the plan for Markstrom, including his intentions for free agency. It sounds like if Markstrom prefers to move on, the Flames will oblige, as Conroy said he wants players who want to be in Calgary.

“We need to sit down and talk,” Conroy said. “I need to see where Marky’s head is at – if I can add something [in free agency], see what he is thinking. We just need to sit down and have a conversation after the season. Right now I just want him to play and focus, he’s been banged up a little bit, and hopefully he is back soon.”"

Steinberg also reiterated this on flames talk yesterday.
To me it's all lip service. He has to downplay the Markstrom trade talks and that there are any bad feelings. Just like he had to downplay the talk of the pending UFAs all wanting out.

The more telling quotes are we want to get younger, and we don't want to sign anybody long term.

You're not making this team into a competitor by signing fringe UFAs for 2-3 years.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 02:48 PM   #1046
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
To me it's all lip service. He has to downplay the Markstrom trade talks and that there are any bad feelings. Just like he had to downplay the talk of the pending UFAs all wanting out.

The more telling quotes are we want to get younger, and we don't want to sign anybody long term.

You're not making this team into a competitor by signing fringe UFAs for 2-3 years.
Yeah definitely, I fully agree with the last part about not being able to make the team competitive in that manner, and for that reason I hope it's all lip service.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 03:07 PM   #1047
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Anyone who thought the Flames were going to just sit on all that cap space next season hasn’t been paying attention.

The Flames want to be a playoff team next season. They want to be a playoff team every season. They aren’t going to risk losing assets for nothing - which is why they moved some pending UFAs for picks (after trying to re-sign most of them). And they aren’t going to trade picks for short-term help. But this team is not deliberately taking a plunge to the bottom of the standings. They’re going to use their cap space in the summer to improve the roster.

I doubt they’ll take a swing at the biggest UFAs. But they’ll probably be in the mix for guys like Myers, Demelo, Carrier, Henrique, and Wennberg.
On short term deals like a year or two. I agree. Suspect Conroy perfects the pump and dump in the next two years.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 03:32 PM   #1048
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Toronto has multiple 1sts available and the hottest prospect in the OHL.
There is a better prospect on that Leafs prospects team that will be drafted this year. I like Cowan but a guy like Colby Barlow and Calum Ritchie are probably better. If the Avs flame out or even if they win the whole damn thing with mediocre goaltending are a team that I could see looking at giving a big package for a retained Markstrom. If they could clear out Girard and Georgiev in the same trade they might be inclined to throw a pretty good package of prospects and picks for Markstrom.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:34 PM   #1049
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Juice View Post
The Reinhart ship sailed the minute he was acquired by Florida.

We should NOT pursue any UFA that wants term past 3 years.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 03:38 PM   #1050
Number 39
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Agreed 100%. Its not the $ that cripple a team, it’s the term.
Number 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 03:45 PM   #1051
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd go even shorter. I'd be 2 years max and hopefully only sign one or 2 UFA's
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM   #1052
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I'd go even shorter. I'd be 2 years max and hopefully only sign one or 2 UFA's
I would sign three recently underperforming mid-tier UFAs to 1-year show-me deals with the intent of pumping up their values and trading them all at the TDL with 50% retained, then rinse and repeat the following season.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 04:24 PM   #1053
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
The Reinhart ship sailed the minute he was acquired by Florida.

We should NOT pursue any UFA that wants term past 3 years.
Plus he would want 10 million per from any other team except Florida.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 04:28 PM   #1054
Calgary Highlander
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Would love to bring Lindholm back on a 1yr deal and flip him again at the deadline. Calgary is the only team that would provide him the opportunity to play the 1C role, put up numbers, and earn that retirement contract.
Calgary Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary Highlander For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 04:49 PM   #1055
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
Would love to bring Lindholm back on a 1yr deal and flip him again at the deadline. Calgary is the only team that would provide him the opportunity to play the 1C role, put up numbers, and earn that retirement contract.
Hell no. Dude was basically useless here, has been useless since being traded, and was part of the last failed core. I cannot stress enough how terrible of a decision bringing Lindholm back under any circumstance would be.

Doesn’t matter anyway. If he turned down anything close to what was rumoured to have been offered the guy has no interest in Calgary, thank god.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 04:49 PM   #1056
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Except he's likely to drop to 40 points next year looking at his work in Vancouver and we'd flip him for a 2nd round pick at best. Not worth the trouble. Plus, we want players that want to be here. Not sulkers that don't.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 04:52 PM   #1057
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He has chemistry with no one here, and drags down his linemates.

So.. No.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 04:52 PM   #1058
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol, this just happened and didn't work
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 04:55 PM   #1059
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also don't think he would have any interest in coming back.
He probably needs to look for a 1 or 2 year deal where he will be playing with some talented payers. If I were him I'd be calling up CBJ.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 04:56 PM   #1060
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Would only take him if we could trade him in January to the Canucks for Willander and their 2025 1st.

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good