Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2024, 09:13 AM   #81
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
1931-1932

With the great depression destroying lives, Hockey was the last thing on peoples minds and attendance suffered. The Senators and Quakers folded leaving the league as an 8 team league,

[...]

Trivia

• The league shrinks to 8 teams as Philly and Ottawa fold their franchises.
Correction: the Senators suspended operations for the '31-'32 season. They resumed play in the '32-'33 season.
Quote:
c'mon man I was trying to create some drama here for the 32-33 season with the dramatic return of the Sens.
The fact they suspended operations wasn't drama enough? You should strive for accuracy.

It makes me wonder what you're going to say with respect to the Amerks after 1942...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 09:35 AM   #82
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Going back a few years in your summaries:

Quote:
1926-27

Trivia
  • [...]
A point of trivia to add for this season: the Americans put players' surnames on the backs of their sweaters in '26-'27. It was the first time it had been done. The practice only lasted the one year, and wasn't resumed again in the NHL for over 40 years. The jerseys worn at the All-Star Game included names on the back beginning in 1969, and the Kings, Rangers, Penguins and Golden Seals added names on the backs of their home jerseys beginning in the '70-'71 season. The Red Wings and Flyers adopted the practice in 1972, the Blues and Capitals in 1974, the Scouts and North Stars in 1975 (Penguins also dropped the names in '75), and finally the Board of Governors passed a new rule in 1977 mandating that all teams had to add names to the back of their sweaters—home and away—going forward. When you eventually get to the '77-'78 season I'm sure you'll note the trivia about one vehement dissenter...
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 09:43 AM   #83
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
The fact they suspended operations wasn't drama enough? You should strive for accuracy.

It makes me wonder what you're going to say with respect to the Amerks after 1942...

Oh the American's story of their end is actually really interesting as is their owner.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 12:42 PM   #84
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh the American's story of their end is actually really interesting as is their owner.
I agree.

Red Dutton, folks. Watch for that name!
Old 02-29-2024, 07:28 PM   #85
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

1936-37

There were lots of ways to describe Howie Morenz. Generational, legend, best ever, and we wouldn't be wrong, in his time with the Canadians he was a legend, one of the fastest players in the game on old tube skates, he was one of the first true generational players in an era where there were very few rules against acts of violence against your opponent. Its sad that in this day and age when we debate who is generational and who is not that Morenz's name doesn't come up more.

But his story is also one of tragedy and grief.

Morenz was the darling of the Canadians, but as he got older and his skills and speed started to decline the fans and the organization itself slowly turned on him. When he hit 32 he had already seen a sharp decline in his production going from 24 goals to 14 to 8. The Canadians finally had enough and traded him to the Black Hawks after the 1933-34 season in one of the first NHL blockbuster trades as Morenz and star goalie Lorne Chabot were traded to the Hawks for Lionel Conacher (was immediately sent to the Maroons) Leroy Goldsworthy and Roger Jenkins.

Once in a while a change of scenary can be a good one, but it wasn't for Morenz who faltered badly in a season and a half in Chicago and was dumped to the Rangers where he scored 2 goals in 19 games.

Eventually the Rangers gave up and Lester Patrick traded him back to his beloved Habs, and reunited with Aurel Joliat and Johnny Gagnon, and while he wasn't as fast, Morenz occasionally recaptured his magic and bought the forum to its feet.

On Jan 28, 1937 Morenz was caught by a stiff body check from Chicago defenseman Earl Siebert sending Morenz feet first into the boards, and with a snap heard around the arena the crowd went silent. Morenz was rushed to the hospital with a badly broken leg and many feared that it was the end of Morenz.

Once in the hospital Morenz started brooding and his condition got worse, he had a nervous breakdown and all visitors except for his wife were banned.

Then he started suffering from heart trouble.

Nobody really knew what happened in the hospital but the theory was that he was overwhelmed by visitors as Morenz was intensely shy and quiet. Then on March 8, 1937 after his doctor gave him a positive checkup, Howie Morenz was dead. Perhaps he was just tired out, or was heat broken about a future without hockey.

The funeral was held in a packed forum, and an allstar game featuring palayers from the Habs and Maroons facing off against the NHL allstars with the proceeds going to the Morenz family and his uniform being given to his son Howie Morenz Jr. Tragedy would follow the Morenz family as his wife would become so sick that Howie Jr and his brother Dan were sent to an orphanage and Dan would die not long after that. Howie Morenz Jr played on, though he never reached his fathers heights he did carve out a career in professional hockey refusing to play in the NHL on his fathers reputation.

Trivia

1. The NHL takes stewardship of the New York Americans who are in serious financial trouble (more on them in the upcoming days)
  2. The NHL introduces the Calder trophy for the leagues best rookie, its named after NHL president Frank Calder.
  3. Joe Primeau retires in Toronto at the age of 30.
  4. The Red Wing repeat as the American division champions.
  5. The Maple Leafs replace George Hainswoth with 21 year old Turk Broda in goal.
  6. The Canadians rebound from disaster and take the Canadian division.
  7. Detroit's Norm Smith wins the leagues GA title with a stingy 2.13 gaa.
  8. Red Horner pounds his way to a 5th penalty crown with 124 minutes.
  9. The NHL changes its playoff format as teams play a best of 3 series instead of a 2 game total goals series.
  10. The Maroons beat the Bruins 3-2 in their opening series, The Rangers sweep the Leafs 2-0. In the semi finals the Rangers beat the Maroons as Ranger's goalie Dave Kerr puts up 2 shutouts.
  11. Detroit and the Canadians battle in a best of 5 semi final. The Emotionally wrecked Canadians battle back from a 2 games to 0 deficit only to fall in game 5 to the Wings.
  12. Red Wing's goalie Norm Smith is hurt in game 1 of the finals against the Rangers. Detroit turns to unknown Earl Robertson and he gets bombed in game 1 5-1. Detroit bounces back with Robertson in net in game 2 and win 4-2. Detroit and the Rangers then trade 1-0 games as Earl Robertson steals the show.
  13. In game 5 Earl Robertson completes his dream as he blanks the Rangers 3-0 to win the Wings their 2nd straight cup. Robertson would go on to play for the American's for 5 years.
  14. Sly Apps wins the Calder trophy.
  15. The Canadians Babe Siebert wins the Hart Trophy.
  16. Detroit's Marty Barry wins the Lady Byng and his team mate Norm Smith wins the Vezina.

Old 03-01-2024, 08:09 PM   #86
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

1937-38

The NHL is full of surprising hero, last season Earl Robertson stepped in when Detroit's star goalie Norm Smith was injured and got shelled in game 1 before backstopping the Wings to their second straight Stanley Cup. David Ayres made headlines as the Zamboni stepped in for the Canes and beat the Leafs. But the 1937-38 Chicago Black Hawks created an incredible story of the hero out of nowhere.

The Hawks were expected be terrible, They finished the regular season with a pathetic 14 wins and backed into the playoffs. They lost their first game of the playoffs in a laugh-er and then rallied to stun the Canadians. They then took on the New York Americans, who were heavily favoured and you guessed it, the Hawks got shut down in the first game but they won in double ot in the second game and closed out the Rangers in the 3rd game to move onto the Stanley Cup finals where they were off to face the Leafs. Who had upset the league powerhouse Bruins in their semi final match up, those Leafs that had finished first in the Canadian Division. Of course they'd beat the terrible Hawks and win another cup right? right? umm.

What made things worse, was that Hawks starting goalie Mike Karakas had broken his toe in the final game of the semi finals and was out for the finals. Chicago coach Bill Stewart asked for permission to use the Ranger's stud goalie Dave Kerr, but Toronto owner Conn Smythe noped that suggestion. So Stewart literally pulled a goalie off the street. He found Alfie Moore who was enjoying a pint in a Toronto pub and signed him. Alfie who had some experience in the American's minor league system probably balanced having another beer and playing the Stanley Cup finals for a moment before saying "Why the hell not".

Moore stood on his head in game 1 shutting down the Leafs 3-1. To show his gratitude Stewart decided to go with another minor leaguer in game two and promptly got shelled. In a panic the Hawks designed a new skate boot for Karakas who then backstopped the Hawks to a stunning upset of the Hawks. This was equivalent to the LA Kings upsetting the Oilers in the 80's. And we can all raise a pint to Alfie Moore.

As for Moore, he played another 4 years of hockey with 2 NHL regular season games 2 NHL playoff games, but it didn't matter, he was the first NHL Emergency goalie.

Trivia
  • The NHL adds a rule calling for a faceoff when the puck is shot from the defensive side of center past the goal line. They called the rule icing
  • Penalty shots will be awarded if anyone but the goalie falls on the puck within 10 feet of the goal.
  • The league stages its second all star game Its a fund raiser for the family of Howie Morenz.
  • The Maroons prepare for their final NHL season, First year coach King Clancy is behind the bench.
  • The Black Hawks hire their 13th coach in 12 years when they name Bill Stewart as their coach.
  • The Bruins assemble one of the greatest lines in history Milt Schimidt, Bobby Baur and Woody Dunmark, they're dubbed the Kraut line.
  • The Bruins power their way to the American Division title.
  • Toronto takes the Canadian Division.
  • The Bruins give up 89 goals in 48 games.
  • Toronto with the line of Sly Apps, Busher Jackson and Gordie Drillion power the Leafs offence which leads the league with 151 goals.
  • The Rangers becomes the Patrick show with manager Lester Patrick, his sons Lynn and Muzz are players.
  • A year after winning their second straight cup the Red Wings fall to last in the division.
  • Habs winger Toe Blake combines with Paul Haynes for 30 goals and 68 points. Aurel Juliat scores 6 goals in his last NHL season.
  • Tiny Thompson leads the league with a 1.85 gaa.
  • Red Horner of Toronto goons up the league with 92 PIM and leads defencemen in points with 24.
  • Earl Robertson the Stanley Cup hero from last year turns in a 2.31 gaa and he'll tend the net for the duration of the franchise.
  • In the opening round of the playoffs the Hawks upset the Canadians. The Americans and Rangers goes to OT in game 3 when the American's Lorne Carr wins in triple overtime.
  • In the Semi's the Hawks beat the American's in 3 games. The Leafs and Bruins battle but the Leafs win 3-0.
  • The Underdog Hawks beat the Leafs 3-1 as the Hawks carry off their second Cup.
  • Eddie Shore wins his 4th Hart Trophy.
  • Tiny Thompson wins the Vezina.
  • Cully Dahlstrom wins the Calder.
  • Gordie Drillion of the Leafs wins the Lady Byng.

Old 03-01-2024, 08:34 PM   #87
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
  • The Maroons prepare for their final NHL season, First year coach King Clancy is behind the bench.
Imagine the disappointment the time travelling hipster must had to travel back in time and realized that he missed seeing his favourite team by 3 years.

Spoiler!

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ti...eling-hipster/
Old 03-02-2024, 01:57 AM   #88
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The Legendary story of Alfie Moore

Quote:
" We had a noon meeting before the first game in Toronto that night, and Bill Stewart (player/referee Paul Stewart's grandfather) told us that Mike Karakas couldn't play, his toe was so bad. Our minor league goalie, Paul Goodman hadn't arrived. Alfie Moore was a minor league goaltender who lived in Toronto, so Stewart told me to go get him.

" I knew Alfie. I went to his house and his wife, Agnes, she said he's down at the tavern, you can find him there. I went down to the tavern and a guy told me Alfie just left here, you can find him at another one. I caught him at the second one, and he's sitting there with three or four other hockey players who were through for the season.

" I walked in and Alfie looked at me and said, ' By God am I glad to see you. I'd love to get a couple of tickets for tonight's game.' And I said, 'Boy, Alfie you got the best seat in the house.' When I told him he was going to play that night, he said, ' Boy, it's about time. That Connie Smythe is going to rue the day he ever sent me down to Pittsburgh. I should have been playing up here instead of Broda, I'll show that Connie Smythe.'

" Then he said let's have one more drink on that before we go. He'd had about ten or a dozen before that. We brought him back to the hotel, when Stewart, who was a non-drinker, saw him he said, ' Get him out of here, he won't play for us tonight.' I said, ' Hell, I'm not going into those nets Bill, and I don't think Mush March will (also a forward). This guy is going to play or else.'

" ' Well,' Bill said. 'It's your money fellows, if you want to use this guy go ahead and use him.'

"We took him out to the rink and put some coffee into him and put him under the shower. By game time he was in pretty good shape. The first shot they threw at him, it went in, the first shot of the game. But after that they couldn't put a puck by him and I guess that night he did show Connie Smythe."
Quote:
Chicago won that first final game, April 5, 1938, 3-1. And beside the Gordie Drillon goal after 1:53, Alfred shut out the Maple Leafs. Gottselig by the way had two goals in that game. It was Alfred's only game of the playoffs, as the Leafs insisted the Hawks had to use Goodman now that had arrived. But Chicago went on to win the Stanley Cup and Alfred got his name inscribed on the Cup. As further show of their appreciation, the Hawks gave Moore an engraved watch.
https://blackhawkslegends.blogspot.c...fie-moore.html

Last edited by Dion; 03-02-2024 at 02:01 AM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 05:52 PM   #89
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

1938-39

The first player to score 3 overtime winners in the Stanley Cup finals in a career was Mel Hill, the fact that he scored them all in one series that earned him the greatest nickname of all time makes it awesome.

During the 1938-39 season the Bruins returned to their power house ways finishing first in the American division with 36 wins in 48 games. In the playoffs it was expected that the Kraut line would dominate, instead the playoffs belonged to little known Nel Hill who sadly had no nickname.

During the regular season Hill played on the third line, scored 10 goals and most people would have a hard time picking him out on the ice.

But during the semifinal matchup against the Rangers he was about to become a household name, especially in Boston.

In the first game the teams battled to a 1-1 time and nobody would score during the first or second overtime. In the third overtime Boston coach Art Ross looked at the Rangers efforts to stifle Roy Conacher that he directed centre Bill Cowley that the Rangers were blanket checking left winger Roy Conacher and instructed him to feed Hill, it worked and Hill scored at 19:20 of the third overtime.

In game two the Rangers and Bruins battled to a 2-2 tie after regulation. But at the 8 minute mark Cowley on a rush heard the ghostly voice of his coach in his head "Feed Hill". who took a drop pass and scored the winner.

The Bruins won game three in regulation then watched as the Rangers reeled off 3 straight wins setting up a game 7 in Boston.

As fate would have it the game ended regulation time tied at 1-1 and the game went to the third overtime period. In the third overtime Cowley recovered the puck in the corner and probably heard the Yoda like ghost voice of Art Ross in his head "For god sakes pass it to Hill". He did and Hill took the puck and beat Ranger's goalie Bert Gardiner to put the series away. The Bruins went to the finals and stomped on the Leafs 4-1 to take the Cup.

For Mel Hill he'd earned the nick name Sudden Death, and probably spent the rest of his life asking people "Is that a Hill that you want to die on" while putting his pinky to the corner of his mouth Dr Evil style and smirking.

Trivia

• The NHL Penalty shot rule is changed to allow players to skate in on the goalie

• The NHL abandons the two ref system and returns to 1 ref and 1 lineman.
  • The Montreal Maroons announce that they are withdrawing from the NHL due to financial problems.
  • Eddie Shore of the Bruins turns his angry eyes on the Bruins threatening to hold out over a contract dispute. League president Frank Calder steps in and negotiates with Shore getting him to sign a contract worth $7000.00 (153,111.00 in today dollars)
  • The NHL outlines per Diem expenses for players of $5.00 per man for food and $2.50 per man for hotels. ($110.00 for food today and $55.00 for hotel).
  • The Divisions are ended for the 7 team NHL and 6 teams make the playoffs.
  • The Black Hawks last years surprise champions don't make the playoffs. Chicago fires coach Bill Stewart who finds more time to umpire MLB games.
  • Boston's uber rookie Roy Conacher leads the NHL with 26 goals.
  • Toe Black of the Habs wins the scoring title with 47 points.
  • Boston goalie Tiny Thompson is injured and loses his job to Frank Brimsek.
  • Brimsek leads the league in shutouts with 10 and gaa with a 1.58.
  • Tiny Thompson is sold to the Detroit Red Wings.
  • Red Horner wins his 7th straight PIM crown at 85 minutes.
  • Bobby Hull is born on Jan 3rd in Porte Anne, Ontario.
  • The playoff system is changed, the top two teams earn a playoff bye 3 plays 4 and 5 plays 6.
  • Toronto sweeps the Americans in their best of three series. Detroit beats Montreal in 3 games. Toronto and Detroit square off and Toronto wins in 3 games.
  • The Bruins and Rangers play a best of 7 series and the Bruins win in game 7 as Mel "Sudden Death" Hil scores the winner.
  • The finals are anticlimactic as the Bruins crush the Leafs in 4.
  • Frank Brimsek becomes the first player to win both the Vezina and Calder trophies.
  • Clint Smith of the Rangers takes the Lady Byng.
  • Toe Black of the Habs wins the Hart.

Old 03-03-2024, 09:53 AM   #90
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
1937-38

Trivia
  • The Bruins assemble one of the greatest lines in history Milt Schimidt, Bobby Baur and Woody Dunmark, they're dubbed the Kraut line.
Milt Schmidt, Bobby Bauer, and Woody Dumart. The three had grown up together in Kitchener —originally named Berlin until 1916—and played their last year of junior hockey together for the Kitchener Greenshirts.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:14 AM   #91
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

This Day in Hockey History – February 10, 1942 – Kraut Line Goes Big and Leaves Home

Quote:
During the 1930s and 1940s, the Boston Bruins sent out onto the ice three young men of German heritage – center Milt Schmidt (No. 15), left winger Woody Dumart (No. 14), and right winger Bobby Bauer (No. 17). They hailed from Kitchener, Ontario, where they had played together for the Kitchener Greenshirts. For the 1936-37 season, all three played on one line for the Providence Reds, the Bruins’ farm team. Coach Albert Leduc dubbed this line of Germans the “Sauerkraut Line,” and that was soon shortened to “Kraut Line.” The nickname followed the three to Boston, where they were so close they shared an apartment.

The Kraut Line was so successful that by the 1939-40 season, Schmidt, Dumart, and Bauer became 1-2-3, respectively, leading the NHL in scoring. That was the first time three from the same team ranked in the top three. Together, they won the Stanley Cup championships in 1939 and 1941.
Quote:
The last game before the Kraut Line reported for duty was held on February 10, 1942 before a crowd of 10,400 at Boston Garden. It was the last home appearance of the Bruins, who would be traveling for two weeks, and the final regular-season visit of the Montreal Canadiens. At the end of the first period, the Bruins already led 2-1 with Toe Blake scoring the only Canadiens goal. Dumart scored the Bruins’ third goal (with both linemates assisting) at 16:52 of the second session. Schmidt assisted Jack Shewchuk in scoring only eleven seconds later. Within the first seven minutes of the third period, the Bruins doubled their score. Bauer scored the first two back-to-back at 1:15 and 1:29. Dumart assisted on both and Schmidt on the second. At 6:19, both Bauer and Dumart assisted Des Smith on the final goal of the game. According to the Boston Globe, “The trio worked like fury to set up Schmidty in the closing minutes and once succeeded only to have the play ruled offside.” All told, the Kraut Line wings each had four points while their center had three. Their combined 11 points accounted for exactly half of the Bruins’ total points in their 8-1 victory.

After the game, the three RCAF men were feted on the ice and off. In the midst of “terrific ovations,” they were placed at center ice. Bruins management presented them each with full-season paychecks and bonuses. General manager Art Ross, presented by his sons (John Ross and Pilot Officer Arthur Ross Jr. of the RCAF), gave them chronograph watches. Ross called them “the most loyal and courageous players in the Bruins history.” The Boston Globe reported, “Farewell messages from Lieut. Adams and Ross were read by Secretary Frank Ryan. Both stressed the loyalty of the Krauts to the Bruins, confidence they will perform even more brilliantly in the greater conflict and hope that the trio will soon return to the hockey wars.” Finally, their Bruins teammates gave them engraved bracelets, “solid gold identification tags.” Bauer said over the loudspeakers, “I have never been more speechless in my life. You will all be proud of us.”

As the organ played and the crowd sang “Auld Lang Syne,” both the Bruins and the Canadiens shouldered the Kraut Line and carried them off the ice. Schmidt never forgot what that night meant to them. “It just goes to show that you can have pretty bitter enemies out on that ice, but after the game is over, we’re all friends, and I think that has a lot to say about the people who play the game.”
https://thepinkpuck.com/2019/02/10/t...d-leaves-home/
Old 03-03-2024, 02:50 PM   #92
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

My father had mad respect for the Kraut Line.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:22 PM   #93
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

1939-40

The Ranger's had not won a cup since 1933, now that doesn't sound bad in today's day and age where teams like the Leafs have gone over 50 years since winning the cup and other teams have never won the cup.

But in a 6 team league that was a hard bullet to bite for the Ranger fans.

The Ranger's made what was a stunning front office change as Lester Patrick stepped back from his head coaching role and handed the reigns over to Frank Boucher who promptly set up his original Lady Byng trophy in his office and got to work.

In the day of nasty demanding coaches, Boucher was different, soft spoken and mild mannered, nobody thought it would work even though the Rangers had lots of talent to work with.

Up front he had Phil Watson, and Bryan Hextall and Neil Colville as well as star goalie Dave Kerr.

The Rangers would finish 2nd in the American Division behind the power house Bruins, but the Rangers promptly beat the Bruins 4-2 in their semi final series behind Dave Kerr who threw three shutouts, and this was a no joke Boston team.

The Ranger's went up against the Leafs in the finals, something that probably nobody thought would happen because the Ringling Brothers circus was booked into Madison Square Gardens, so the Rangers could only play the first two games at home and all the rest of the games would be in Toronto.

However the Rangers won those first two games including a 6-2 thumping in game two to put the Leafs on the ropes,. The Leafs bounced back with two straight wins to Knot the series. Game 5 went to overtime with the Rangers winning. Game 6 looked like a major turning point as the Leafs built up a 2-0 lead heading into the third.

Patrick headed into the dressing room and told the players that they'd had their fun but it was time to get down to business because he'd booked a victory party at the York Hotel and he'd meet them there to celebrate.

With the thought of free beer and a party, the Rangers did get down to work. they tied the game with goals 2 minutes apart and then at 2:07 of the first overtime Watson stunned the home town crowd, and the Rangers with everything including their playoff schedule against them had taken home the Stanley Cup.

The NHL was about to change, with War looming on the horizon, both the Canadian and American NHL teams were going to start struggling.

Trivia

• The NHL adopts a new rule concerning the player that substitutes for a penalized goalie, the sub may not don any goaltending equipment other then the goalies stick and gloves.
  • The leagues third all star game was played on Oct 29th to raise money for the family of Canadians coach Babe Seibert who drowned in the off season.
  • The war in Europe begins.
  • Cooney Weiland replaces Art Ross as the coach of the Bruins.
  • In a block buster deal the Leafs pick up Sweeney Schriner from the Americans for Busher Jackson, Murray Armstrong, Doc Rommnes and Buzz Boll.
  • The Bruins Kraut Line is the best line in the league combining for 61 goals and 138 points.
  • Milt Schmidt wins the scoring championship with 52 points.
  • Because of the war in Germany, the Kraut line is renamed the Kitchener Kids.
  • Ranger's Bryan Hextall wins the goal scoring title with 24 goals.
  • Ranger's goalie Dave Kerr wins the gaa title with a 1.60 gaa.
  • The Bruins finish first in the NHL.
  • Eddie Shore buys the Springfield Indians and retires, but was asked to come out of retirement with the Bruins due to injuries and agrees to play Bruin home games for $200.00 per game and continue to play for the Indians. But eventually the Bruins lose their patience and trade Shore to the New York Americans, He played for the Americans til they were eliminated while playing for the Indians in their playoff games. After the season he retires from the NHL.
  • In 1940 Shore and 8 other arena managers found the Ice Capades.
  • The Maple Leafs destroy the Black Hawks in their semi-finals. The Red Wings squeak by the Americans and Toronto beats Detroit in a sweep of their semifinals.
  • The Rangers nip the Bruins in the other semi final.
  • The Rangers win their 3rd Stanley Cup dispatching the Leafs in overtime of game 6.
  • Detroit Defenceman Eddie Goodfellow wins the Hart.
  • Boston's Bobby Bauer takes the Lady Byng.
  • The Rangers Dave Kerr wins the Vezina.
  • Ranger's rookie Kilby MacDonald takes the Calder.
  • The Oshawa Generals become the first team to win two Memorial Cups in a row.

Old 03-05-2024, 05:38 PM   #94
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

1940-41

When the guns went off in Sept of 1939, hockey and all other sports because a lot less significant as the world was caught in the fire of War. Everyone in Canada looked on in horror at the march of Nazi's in Europe and Fascist Japan in East Asia.

In 1940 Hitler was preparing for the jump across the channel and England's Royal Air Force was screaming for pilots from across the commonwealth. Canada was called upon to help out.

Frank Calder instantly knew that his league was in trouble especially if the war dragged on. There was talk that the league might need to suspend operations if the league was seen as impeding the war effort. However the NHL was given a mandate to continue to operate in Canada and the US as long as they were able to ice enough teams.

As more and more players left to follow the call, the NHL teams frantically tried to fill their rosters.

The Bruins lost their entire first line, the newly named Kitchener Kids, formerly the Kraut line as all three members joined the Canadian Air Force starting in the 1941-42 season, but the 40-41 season was their last hurrah.

Because the United States was determined to stay out of the war most of the NHL teams with the exception of the Americans who were already struggling to survive.

Boston was the class of the league which is fitting as it was a farewell tour to one of the most dominant lines in NHL history. They beat Toronto in 7 games in their semi final, then crushed the Wings in 4 games to take the cup.

But dark shadows were descending on the league. Muzz Patrick of the Rangers enlisted and last years rookie of the year Kilby MacDonald let the Rangers know that he was enlisting as well.

Trivia

• Say it, Zamboni. The NHL mandates the flooding of the ice surface between periods.
  • Dick Irvine leaves the Leafs to fix the Canadians, Hap Day takes over behind the Leafs bench.
  • Elmer Lach and Johnny Quilty debut for the Canadians.
  • Tiny Thompson retires from the Red Wings and is replaced by Johnny Mowers
  • The Americans debut future star goalie Chuck Rayner in goal.
  • The Bruins brutalize the league on the way to their 4th straight regular season title.
  • Boston's Bill Cowley sets new NGL records with 41 assists and 62 points and wins the scoring title.
  • Bryan Hextall scores the most goals in the NHL with 26.
  • Turk Broda of the Leafs wins the GA crown with a 2.06 gaa.
  • Red Horner retires Johnny Orlando becomes the new leagues penalty king with 99 Pim.
  • On March 4th 1941 the Bruins unleash a record 83 shots on goal in a 3-2 win over the Hawks.
  • Detroit and the Rangers meet in the quarterfinals with the Wings winning in 5 games. Chicago and Montreal face off and the Hawks win in 5 games.
  • The Wings sweep the Hawks in their semi final.
  • The Bruins and Leafs go to 7 with the Bruins coming back from a 3-2 deficit by winning the last two games.
  • The Bruins sweep the Wings in the Stanley Cup finals.
  • Bill Cowley takes home the Hart Trophy.
  • Johnny Quilty of the Habs skates off with the Calder.
  • Turk Broda wins the Vezina Trophy.
  • Boston's Bobby Bauer takes home the Lady Byng for the second year in a row.

Old 03-07-2024, 04:41 PM   #95
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

1941-42

How many teams have come back from a 3-0 deficit in the playoffs, and how many teams have come back from a 3-0 deficit to win a Stanley Cup.

In the finals, once and it happened more then 60 years ago.

This is a story of tragedy and jubilation. For the Wings its a tragedy, for the Leafs its the other thing.

Lets be honest, Detroit wasn't a great regular season team finishing 6 games below .500, while the Leafs were a clear favourite with a 27-18-3 record. This should have been a almost laughter of a series.

But Wings coach Jack Adam's was nobodies fool and frustrated the Leafs in the finals, You see, Jack Adams invented modern day hockey. In the early days of the NHL teams would skate the puck over the enemy blueline and set up plays. but Adams turned the tables and ordered his players to shoot the buck over the blueline into the corners and then the speedier wing players would fetch it. That's right, Jack Adams created the modern day forechecking system. And the Leafs couldn't handle it for the first three games.

In game 1 they beat the mighty Leafs 3-2, and in game 2 4-2, and then they blew out the Leafs 5-2 in game 3 and Hap Day the coach of the Leafs had no answer.

Out of desperation, Day decided to inject some enthusiasm into his lineup and some speed. He benched Gordie Dillon his best scorer and replaced him with Dave Metz a 4th liner. Also defenseman Bucko McDonald (old school names are like the best) and dressed a rookie named Ernie Dickens.

After the Leafs fell behind 2-0 in game 4, they rallied with Metz setting up the winning goal. Then things got interesting.

Jack Adams had spent the game fuming about the penalties being called on his team, and late in the game he'd finally had enough and wasn't going to take anymore, Adams attacked referee Mel Harwood and was suspended for the rest of the series. Without Adams behind the bench the Wings sagged.

The Leafs won game 5 and Metz was the unquestioned star scoring a hat trick as the Leafs blew out the Wings 9-3. In game 6 Turk Broda stood on his head and shut out the Wings 1-0 and we headed to a game 7.

After 2 periods the Wings were up 1-0, then the wheels fell off, the Leafs tied it on a powerplay, then scored 2 minutes later to go ahead. The Wings went on a full attack and the Leafs took advantage to ice the game 3-1, make the greatest comeback in hockey history to this day, and won their 4th cup.

Trivia

• The NHL adopts a split minor/major penalty on penalty shots. The minor penalty allowed a 28 foot free shot, the major allowed players to skate in on the goalie.
  • The league adds a second lineman, we now have 1 ref and 2 linesmen.
  • The New York American's change their name to the Brooklyn Americans but continue to play out of the Gardens.
  • Rangers goalie Dave Kerr retires.
  • Sugar Jim Henry is promoted from the Regina Rangers to take over the net from Kerr.
  • Despite the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor no NHL games are cancelled.
  • Milt Schmidt, Bobby Bauer and Woody Dunmart join the RCAF leaving behind a depleted Bruins team. They were stationed in Ottawa and played for the senior RCAF team and captured the Allen Cup.
  • Ranger's Lynn Patrick leads the league in goals with 32.
  • Bryan Hextall of the Rangers wins the scoring title with 24 goals and 56 points.
  • Pat Egan of the Americans wins the penalty crown with 124 PIM.
  • Frank Brimsek of the Bruins wins the GA crown with a 2.45 gaa.
  • Phil Esposito is born on Feb 20th in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.
  • Boston eliminates Chicago in 3 games. The Red Wings bounced the Canadians in 3 games. Detroit sweeps Boston in their best of 3 semifinal.
  • Toronto beats the Rangers in 6 games in their semifinals.
  • The Red Wings blow a 3-0 series lead to Toronto who wins their 4th Stanley Cup.
  • The Brooklyn Americans fold at the end of the season.
  • Boston's Frank Brimsek wins the Vezina.
  • Toronto's Sly Apps wins the Lady Byng.
  • Ranger's Rookie Grant Warwick wins the Calder.
  • New York American's defenseman Tom Anderson wins the Hart Trophy despite a disastrous season by the Americans. However due to the folding of the American's at the end of the season, Anderson loses his job and never plays in the NHL again.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 04:48 PM   #96
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

1942-43

With the War raging in Europe, Africa and the Pacific, NHL teams were having difficulty filling their rosters with many of their stars leaving to serve a higher cause. Meanwhile the Brooklyn American's had folded at the end of last season due to severe financial difficulties. The American's had never won the Stanley Cup since joining the NHL and were the third American team bought into the league during league expansion. With their folding the NHL stood at 6 teams and would stay that way until the late 60's.

Founded by Sports promoter Tom Duggan and bootlegger Big Bill Dwyer, the American's were a colourful franchise, Dwyer had spent the money he earned from illegal liquor sales into pro franchises, he had purchased the NHL's Pittsburgh Pirates quietly, and also purchased the Tampa Triangles of the NFL and moved them to Brooklyn and renamed them the Dodgers. Through this all Dwyer would become known for his big spending ways and later on in life it would cost him. With the end of prohibition in 1930 Bill Dwyer was leaking money with very little income. At the same time, Dwyer lost a lawsuit to the government and it left him pennyless with pretty much only the American's to his name.

The NHL had seized control of the floundering Americans and Dwyer sued the NHL who agreed to return ownership of the team to him if he could pay off the teams debts, but that wasn't possible. Meanwhile Merwyn "Red" Dutton had taken over the team first as a player manager in 1936, and later as the teams manager. He ran the team brilliantly considering it had no owner and the league had mandated a cheap existence. But then the war hit and Dutton had trouble assembling a roster and with the team continuing to struggle financially the league finally pulled the pin on the Americans.

However opportunity knocked for Dutton, when Frank Calder died suddenly the NHL asked Dutton to step in as league president, and he did so on the condition that the league would find a way to bring back the Americans after the war. Behind the scenes Dutton found financing for a new arena in Brooklyn, and continued to press the league to re-instate the Americans. Dutton continued to serve as president until 1946 when he found out that the NHL had backstabbed him in terms of bringing back the Americans. He instantly suspected the Rangers of foul play and put the Dutton curse on the Rangers, and it was a powerful bit of whammy as the Rangers didn't win another cup until the 1994 team. At the same time he told the NHL to stick the franchise up their asses and stormed out of the meeting, and didn't step foot iinto a NHL building until the opening night of the first season of the Calgary Flames where he dropped the puck as the last surviving member of the Calgary Tigers.

Things were grim with the rest of the NHL there were rumours that the NHL would not operate starting in the 1942-43 season until the end of the war. However the Canadian Government pushed the NHL to continue to operate, but it wasn't a question of interest in operating, it was more a question that with the war on and most young men away the NHL couldn't fill their rosters.

No team was hurt more then the Rangers. They lost Suger Jim Henry and didn't have a single goalie on the roster. This opened the door of opportunity for goalies like Steve "Let em in" Buzinski, who's nickname was changed to "The Puck Goesinki". It became so bad that the various Armed Forces teams in Canada and the US were better then the NHL teams. The US Coast Guard Cutters featured Frank Brimsek in goal, Rangers Captain Art Coulter up front, defenseman Frank Mariucci and Alex Motter.

Financially there was a mini boon as fans were curious about the replacement players and they flocked to games to just support hockey.

The Red Wings who had retained most of their roster danced through the league and destroyed the ravaged Bruins in the finals to win the first real War Stanley Cup.

Trivia

• The NHL cancels overtime to meet the wartime train schedules.
  • Teams are limited to 14 players the 12 player minimum is abolished.
  • The regular season is expanded to 50 games.
  • NHL President Frank Calder has a heart attack and dies, he's replaced by Red Dutton.
  • On Feb 6, Ray Getliffe records the leagues first 5 goal game in 11 years.
  • Maurice "Rocket" Richard makes his NHL debut.
  • Doug Bentley wins the scoring title with 73 points.
  • Gord Dillion burning over his benching with the Leafs in the finals debuts with the Canadians and scores 28 goals.
  • Rangers goalie Steve Buzinski posts a 6.11 gaa in 9 games.
  • Detroits Jimmy Orlando takes the penalty title with 88 minutes.
  • Detroit finishes first in the NHL .
  • Jimmy Mowers leads the league in wins with 25, shutouts with 6 and gaa with a 2.47.
  • Chicago and the Rangers miss the playoffs.
  • The Red Wings beat the Leafs 4-2.
  • The Bruins beat Montreal 4 games to 1.
  • In the finals the Wins beat the Bruins 4-0. They win game 1 6-2, game 2 4-3 and then shut out the Bruins 4-0 and 2-0.
  • Bill Cowley of the Bruins wins the Hart.
  • Johnny Mowers of the Wings wins the Vezina.
  • Toronto Winger Gaye Stewart scores 24 goals and 47 points wins the Calder.
  • Max Bentley who's brother Doug won the scoring title takes home the Lady Byng.
  • Tony Esposito is born in Sault Ste Marie on April 23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 05:55 PM   #97
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

After washing his hands of the NHL, Red Dutton came back to Calgary and co-founded the construction firm of Burns & Dutton. You can still see their name stamped on many of the sidewalks in the older neighbourhoods of the city. Dutton was also a key man in the consortium that built McMahon Stadium, and a trustee of the Stanley Cup.

I think of him as one of the underappreciated builders of both the NHL and Calgary.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:05 PM   #98
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
The Twin Cities Hotel first opened their doors September 2, 1938. Built by three prominent NHL hockey players, Red Dutton, Cecil “Tiny” Thompson and Paul Thompson, this establishment has stood the test of time. Now owned and operated by long time area resident Chris Goss, the hotel continues to be an important part of the surrounding community.

The oil boom in the mid 1930’s led to fast growth in the area, and north of present day Longview a little town cropped up, consisting of many houses, stores, a movie theatre and post office, called Little Chicago. All that remains today is a stone memorial on the side of the road. South of Little Chicago was Little New York, a substantial tent town that developed as a result of the fast growth in the area. In 1937, the post office located at East Longview (4 miles east of the Little New York) was to be closed, and Guy Weadick (founder of the Calgary Stampede) petitioned to have the name Longview transferred to Little New York, which had enough population to warrant an official name. The founders named the hotel “Twin Cities” as a nod to the two communities.

Today, the Twin Cities Hotel is one of the few iconic buildings and businesses that remain as a reminder of the rich oil and gas history in the area. Schools, businesses and entire towns have disappeared over the years, but the spirit and resiliency of the people remain, and the Twin Cities Hotel is proof of just that.
https://www.twincitieshotel.ca/our-story

Old 03-09-2024, 08:21 PM   #99
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
1941-42

Trivia
  • The Brooklyn Americans fold at the end of the season.
Quote:
1942-43
Spoiler!
(As I suspected you might misconstrue...) The Americans franchise did not fold in 1942: they suspended operations. Dutton had every intention of resuming operations, and the way the rest of the owners stabbed him in the back and terminated the franchise in 1946 is why he was so furious. True to the "curse", the Rangers didn't win another Stanley Cup until seven years after Dutton died.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:23 PM   #100
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
After washing his hands of the NHL, Red Dutton came back to Calgary and co-founded the construction firm of Burns & Dutton. You can still see their name stamped on many of the sidewalks in the older neighbourhoods of the city. Dutton was also a key man in the consortium that built McMahon Stadium, and a trustee of the Stanley Cup.

I think of him as one of the underappreciated builders of both the NHL and Calgary.
Absolutely. And in case anyone else reading along hasn't put two-and-two together: who do you think Dutton's Lounge at the Saddledome is named after?