Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #21
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do people care about this stuff? Some random internet poll ranked a team the greatest of all time. And?

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #22
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

2002 Red Wings better

Look at that lineup. Unreal.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #23
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
The top team on his list (which was made in 2002) is the '95-96 Red Wings, with a winning percentage 2.58 standard deviations above that year's average. Since that team did not win the Stanley Cup, it's easy to take it off the list of all-time greats. The #2 team on the list is the '88-89 Flames, with a WPZS of +2.31; followed by the '88-89 Habs at 2.19, another Stanley Cup loser. The '76-77 Canadiens, #4 with +2.18, are the second highest rated Cup winner. The '84-85 Oilers are tied for 42nd on the list at +1.53.
I've never seen a season with two such dominant teams. IIRC, the Flames and Habs, between them, were #1 or #2 in pretty much every catagory. GF, GA, PP, PK. Vernon and Roy were the two top goalies in the league. The Habs won their conference by 23 points and the Flames won their conference by 26 points.

In our playoff draft that season, every skater for both teams was drafted. Rick Nattress. Craig Ludwig. Every skater.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 06-06-2017 at 04:34 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2017, 04:42 PM   #24
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There's no doubt that that Oiler team was good, but there were better Oiler teams.

As well I tend to put more weight into a team that had to compete in a 6 team league as opposed to a team that was in one of the most watered down era in NHL history.

I would also be tempted to name the 1980-81Islanders as in the conversation for greatest of all times.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:09 PM   #25
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Those Oilers teams were some of the most exciting and dominant teams ever. Not sure if I agree with the 84-85 team being the best, as the 87' club could give them a run for their money.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #26
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
The 1988-89 Flames were obviously a great team (most any Stanley Cup Champion is) but of course an old Lanny McDonald and Colin Patterson were 9 and 10 forwards. The real story is the abundance of youth on that team as the following players were 25 years old or younger at the time: Nieuwendyk, MacInnis, Suter, Gilmour, Roberts, Fleury, and Vernon. That is an exceptional group of young talent - maybe not the same elite level of talent as the Oilers had but likely more depth, especially on defense.
This is how it will play out for the next little while as well. Let's hope a good depth team game works out better for us than it did then vs. a star laden team with average to below average depth (and D).
Old 06-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #27
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The 1988-89 Flames were obviously a great team (most any Stanley Cup Champion is) but of course an old Lanny McDonald and Colin Patterson were 9 and 10 forwards. The real story is the abundance of youth on that team as the following players were 25 years old or younger at the time: Nieuwendyk, MacInnis, Suter, Gilmour, Roberts, Fleury, and Vernon. That is an exceptional group of young talent - maybe not the same elite level of talent as the Oilers had but likely more depth, especially on defense.
Agree on your comments about McDonald but Patterson was a Selke nominee that year - and performing at an extremely high level. A often under-rated part of that team.
Don't disagree with your broader points - just underscoring how good Patterson was at that time.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #28
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Why do people care about this stuff? Some random internet poll ranked a team the greatest of all time. And?
And yet you clicked on a link to tell everyone that you didn't care.
It is summer and it is a fun discussion.
No need to take part if it doesn't interest you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2017, 10:23 PM   #29
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
The best part is that it was a random poll that anyone could vote for.

So of course the 84-85 Oilers won it. As far as Oilers fans go that was the epitome of Hockey and everything since has been downhill.

Pretty par for the course. This should be in the E=NG thread.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:05 AM   #30
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Colin Patterson might have been #9 in points (I didn't check), but he wasn't really used as a #9. My recollection is he played LW on the top line with Mullen and Gilmour. He didn't get the PP time as Otto was elevated from his 3rd line spot to be used for faceoffs and net-front-presence.

That was actually my favourite thing about that Flames team; how dominant their PP was. At some points in the season it seemed almost automatic they would score. They were tough enough to muck it up if they had to but they could make you pay on the scoreboard too.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 08:48 AM   #31
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
That was actually my favourite thing about that Flames team; how dominant their PP was. At some points in the season it seemed almost automatic they would score. They were tough enough to muck it up if they had to but they could make you pay on the scoreboard too.
They had the deadliest powerplay I've ever seen. MacInnis, of course, fired bombs from the point. But people forget Suter had a very good shot too. Niewendyk was one of the best, if the not the best net-front presence in the league, who was incredibly deft at deflecting those MacInnis blasts or flipping in the rebound. Then you had guys like Mullen and Loob who could move the puck so well in tight. It was actually quite surprising when they didn't score on the PP.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #32
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
They had the deadliest powerplay I've ever seen. MacInnis, of course, fired bombs from the point. But people forget Suter had a very good shot too. Niewendyk was one of the best, if the not the best net-front presence in the league, who was incredibly deft at deflecting those MacInnis blasts or flipping in the rebound. Then you had guys like Mullen and Loob who could move the puck so well in tight. It was actually quite surprising when they didn't score on the PP.
they were even deadlier offensively in 87-88. In fact I believe ( I may have invented this stat and it might be wrong) that that team scored more goals than any team that didn't have Gretzky or Orr on it. while Gilmour and Fleury (half a season in 89) weren't on that team, Mike Bullard and his 48 goals, Brett Hull (50 goal pace), and a few other net front guys (tonelli etc) were, Reinhart was even around (although mostly injured). I think that team had a scarier PP.
however the swap outs of Bullard for Gilmour and Hull for (well we know that story) improved the team defence more than the lack of offence, goal differential improved the following year
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #33
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
And yet you clicked on a link to tell everyone that you didn't care.
It is summer and it is a fun discussion.
No need to take part if it doesn't interest you.
I think the post you quoted is more talking about why certain posters get all butt hurt when anything positive about the Oilers is mentioned. It's an interesting topic, but not sure why people get all worked up over fans opinions of a team from over 30 years ago.

The Oilers had a great team that year.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #34
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
I think the post you quoted is more talking about why certain posters get all butt hurt when anything positive about the Oilers is mentioned. It's an interesting topic, but not sure why people get all worked up over fans opinions of a team from over 30 years ago.

The Oilers had a great team that year.
What I largely observe is a healthy and lively debate and not a lot of butthurt or folks getting worked up
Old 06-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #35
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames were probably the most well rounded team in the NHL that year, and possibly even for a few seasons before and after. They could beat teams in a number of ways like a Swiss Army Knife.

The defense was particularly strong. Everyone remembers MacInnis and Suter, but guys like Macoun and McCrimmon were also extremely effective defensive guys in an era that didn't really reward defensive play as much as it should have. And for forwards, Otto may have quite possibly been IMO the best important cog in the machine. He could do everything.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #36
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Even the second unit which, IIRC had Otto standing in front was good. That team had the best centre depth I've ever seen: Newy, Gilmour, Otto and McLellan. And the defensive depth - MaCinnis, Suter, McCrimmon, Ramage, Macoun and Murzyn. That's amazing.

You had a classic rookie call-up sensation in Fleury. A classic grizzled vet in Lanny. A Selke nominee in Patterson. Snipers like Mullen and Loob, not to mention Roberts and Hrdina would could contribute. Grinders like Mark Hunter and Peplinski. A top enforcer in Tim Hunter.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #37
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
While a great team, there were still better. This is why internet polls are a terrible idea.
Agreed. However, the internet poll objectively did a better job at it than the NHL's panel of experts for its top 100 list.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post: