Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #281
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love to have EDM's 2nd. That's essentially as good as a late 1st.

Buff will destroy McD first chance he gets, McD will start looking over his shoulder and Oil will be back to zero.

If Ferland wants to join that dumpster fire and Flames get a 2nd, that's OK with me.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #282
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of speculation saying Ferland is cocky, getting bad advice etc. I have no idea what's going on with his camp so I hate going there.

As for the Jooris example, do we know if the flames offered him a 2 year deal? Maybe they offered a 2 year, $1m per deal and he said, give me a one year deal and I will prove to you that I am worth $2 million in the second year.

If the Flames offered Ferland a 2 year deal, with no option for a 1 year well then I would be pissed if I were him (all pure speculation on my part). The team has much more leverage in this situation but the player should generally be in control of the term.

But one thing is certain. It is important for all parties that Ferland be ready for the start of camp. If he isn't, then no one wins but frankly he has a lot more to lose than the team does.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #283
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like how dumbass message board speculation somehow equates to Ferland wanting to join the Oilers.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #284
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
If the Flames offered Ferland a 2 year deal, with no option for a 1 year well then I would be pissed if I were him (all pure speculation on my part). The team has much more leverage in this situation but the player should generally be in control of the term.
He wouldn't have arbitration rights until the end of the second season anyways. The Flames would still have his rights as an RFA. Trying to bargain for a better price at the end of this next season, when there are at least a handful of players ahead of him up for renewal (with salary being super tight) doesn't exactly give him a lot of leverage outside of his play. Sorry Micheal, but Johnny and Mony come first next offseason.

Term-wise, it's better in his case to just wait another year.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #285
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I like how dumbass message board speculation somehow equates to Ferland wanting to join the Oilers.
in the dark unknown, the mind jumps to your worst fears
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #286
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
No one actually said he wanted to join the Oilers IIRC. The pure speculation was about an offer sheet. Which is also highly improbable, and would have been done by now if that was the case.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:26 AM   #287
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
No one actually said he wanted to join the Oilers IIRC. The pure speculation was about an offer sheet. Which is also highly improbable, and would have been done by now if that was the case.
Kessler got a 1 year 1.9M offer sheet Sept 12, 2006 from the Flyers that the Canucks matched. Kesler was coming off a 10 goals and 23 pt 82 game rookie season ... he had just turned 22. A lot of comparables to Ferland

And of course RoR got his Feb 28 2013... but the season didn't start until Jan 13 so it was 6 weeks after the season started.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #288
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Kessler got a 1 year 1.9M offer sheet Sept 12, 2006 from the Flyers that the Canucks matched. Kesler was coming off a 10 goals and 23 pt 82 game rookie season ... he had just turned 22. A lot of comparables to Ferland

And of course RoR got his Feb 28 2013... but the season didn't start until Jan 13 so it was 6 weeks after the season started.
It's not impossible. I said improbable. Pulling two examples out of how many offer sheets hardly proves it's not improbable.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #289
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Why no Ferland siging

Siging....in your head, do you sound it as "sigging" or "sijing"?

Last edited by dustygoon; 09-04-2015 at 01:48 PM.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #290
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

He better sign, or be traded out east because I'd hate to see the kid regularly. Especially if he learns to harness the beastmode consistently.

I do find it strange that this isn't done yet.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #291
Demaeon
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Siging....in your head, do sound it as "sigging" or "sijing"?
The former, as in the act of making a signature, preferably on whatever piece of paper Brad Treliving slides in front of you.
Demaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Demaeon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2015, 03:40 PM   #292
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just sign already ffs
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:48 PM   #293
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

At the time Kesler received his offer sheet, he had played in more NHL games than Ferland has played as a pro. That also wasn't his rookie year. He played 28 NHL games in 2003-04.

Kesler had played 111 AHL games (plus 14 AHL playoff games) and 110 NHL games by the time he received his offer sheet. Ferland has played 102 professional games total, including playoffs.

When O'Reilly received his offer sheet, he had played almost 250 NHL games and had over 100 NHL points.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #294
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
I'd love to have EDM's 2nd. That's essentially as good as a late 1st.

Buff will destroy McD first chance he gets, McD will start looking over his shoulder and Oil will be back to zero.

If Ferland wants to join that dumpster fire and Flames get a 2nd, that's OK with me.
That would be a terrible exchange for the Flames
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #295
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
That would be a terrible exchange for the Flames
Ferland's just the type of player they lack and it would be utterly heartbreaking to see him lay out guys like Brodie and Monahan 6+ times a year. I'm a big fan of Treliving but I will relegate him to Feaster status if Ferland finds himself on Edmonton. Where's a barfy emoticon when you need one?
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #296
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Ferland's just the type of player they lack and it would be utterly heartbreaking to see him lay out guys like Brodie and Monahan 6+ times a year. I'm a big fan of Treliving but I will relegate him to Feaster status if Ferland finds himself on Edmonton. Where's a barfy emoticon when you need one?
Don't worry - there is a zero percent chance of it happening
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:24 PM   #297
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Does Ferland want a one way deal while Flames are offering 2 way?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #298
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=778144
Quote:
“Just money and term, that’s all,” Treliving said. “We’ll bang away. We haven’t been able to find something that both sides nod on yet. We’ve still got some time yet. We’re hopeful that everything will get done and Micheal will be in camp.
Don't worry, Treliving is hopeful that Ferland will be signed before camp. All they got to figure out is salary and term, which I suppose means they've already decided who he is sharing rooms with on the road.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:25 PM   #299
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=778144

Don't worry, Treliving is hopeful that Ferland will be signed before camp. All they got to figure out is salary and term, which I suppose means they've already decided who he is sharing rooms with on the road.

The latest CBA took that decision away... no more roomies on the road
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:37 AM   #300
Justin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ferland is good at his role, but I fear he's grossly over valuing himself and exactly what his role is.

For Ferland, there's no way I'd ever budge on any dollar that I thought would compromise Monahan, Gaudreau or Bennett's near-future payroll.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote