Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:47 AM   #21
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
FWIW Hextall has publicly said he will not buyout Vinny L.

He has a $2 million signing bonus coming to him on July 1st and some Philly people are speculating that he might just retire or move to have the contract mutually voided after that is paid out.
Without cap penalties? Is that possible?
Old 06-17-2015, 10:01 AM   #22
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Without cap penalties? Is that possible?
Yes if both the player and team want to get out of the contract it is possible. Petyr Sykora was demoted to the AHL by the Wild in 2010 and refused to report so the contract was terminated

http://www.startribune.com/sykora-as...c%3A_Yyc%3AaUU
Quote:
Sykora, 33, who’s been away from the team since being placed on waivers Jan. 19, was officially assigned to the Houston Aeros today.

However, Sykora has officially declined to report. The two sides have mutually agreed to terminate his contract, and once approved by the NHL in the next day or two, Sykora will immediately become an unrestricted free agent .

In essence, Sykora will be free to sign with any team before the March 3 trade deadline and the Wild will be free of the remaining $600,000 or so of Sykora’s contract and salary-cap hit.

But it is very rare thing to happen, as the player usually wants the remaining money owed to him or at least a buyout. But in Lecavalier's case it sounds like he may just want out of Philly.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2015, 10:02 AM   #23
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Old 06-17-2015, 10:12 AM   #24
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Doesn't surprise me that the Caps were looking at Sharp for secondary scoring. I continue to feel that the Flames and Caps would be great trading partners re: Hudler, straight across for a d-man (Alzner). I would only be OK with Hudler being traded if we got a young 2-way d-man in return. If they can't get that - keep him.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #25
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hudler for Alzner would be one of the biggest steals in Flames history. Addresses our biggest area of concern while selling high on a small forward with a contract 1 year from expiring.

Still don't get the Sharp hate, a sniper who skates well and is one of the most driven forecheckers in the league seems exactly what we need in our top six.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #26
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we got more for Hudler than the leafs do for Kessel
I would.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #27
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
Hudler for Alzner would be one of the biggest steals in Flames history. Addresses our biggest area of concern while selling high on a small forward with a contract 1 year from expiring.

Still don't get the Sharp hate, a sniper who skates well and is one of the most driven forecheckers in the league seems exactly what we need in our top six.
Nobody hates Sharp. He is a very good player that would look great in Flames silks.

But at his age, salary and assets required to bring him in, it makes very little sense. If any sense at all. Rebuilding teams do not trade 1st round draft picks for 33 year old wingers.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #28
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:

Can't speak for anyone else, but there is no hate on my end. But he's 33 with 2 years left on his deal. He won't be around when this team should start being a contender, so I don't see the point in giving up any decent assets to bring him in. And the Flames will need to sign some pretty important and lucrative deals after next season, it won't hurt to have lots of wiggle room. If the Flames rebuild was at a different stage I agree Sharp would be a nice fit, but today looking forward I just don't see it.

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 06-17-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #29
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Nobody hates Sharp. He is a very good player that would look great in Flames silks.

But at his age, salary and assets required to bring him in, it makes very little sense. If any sense at all. Rebuilding teams do not trade 1st round draft picks for 33 year old wingers.
In addition, he's played 64 additional playoff games in teh past 3 years (I realized he had a short 2012-13 reg season) and 5 additional olympic games in 2014 - thats a lot of extra milage on a already 33 y/o, almost a full NHL reg season added on.

with that amount of travel and seeing players from long playoff runs break down in LA and Boston, I'm not convinced Sharp will be ready for a new year and new team next year.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:07 AM   #30
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just while buyouts are being discussed -- there are no more compliance buyouts this season, right? Just regular buyouts with the usual cap implications? Which are half the remaining contract amount paid out over twice the number of remaining years?
Old 06-17-2015, 11:23 AM   #31
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:

What? Hudler is a top 10 scorer in the league, with a very cap-friendly contract for next season. Yes Alzner addresses our biggest area of concern, and Hudler addresses the Caps biggest area of concern. Yes short term, but they are trying to win now and have quite a bit of depth on D.

It would be a great trade for both sides, maybe we're just not used to making trades that actually make sense for us in recent years.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #32
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't see any way the Caps would trade Alzner. For a Cap strapped team he is currently on a sweet heart deal. $2.8 million for a top 4 defenseman?

Plus, they only have 4 NHL D signed for next season, luckily for them it's their actual top 4 D in Carlson, Niskanen, Orpik and Alzner. If anything, they'll be looking to add D, not subtract a top 4 Dman.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #33
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

RE: Sharp

Does anyone recall back when Sharp played for Philly, there was a trade rumour about sending Lombardi to Philly for him? I seem to recall it, but I think it is so far buried now.

Not that it would have any bearing on the Flames being interested at this point, but it's fun to think back about how things could have went.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #34
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Sigh. Maybe just a pipe dream and I have rose coloured glasses I suppose.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:43 AM   #35
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Just while buyouts are being discussed -- there are no more compliance buyouts this season, right? Just regular buyouts with the usual cap implications? Which are half the remaining contract amount paid out over twice the number of remaining years?
Yeah. No more Compliance buyouts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2015, 11:45 AM   #36
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Sharp makes a lot of sense for the Oilers. They need a veteran forward who can go into that room rub his Stanley Cup rings in Hallsy and Ebs faces and tell them how to do things right.

Plus they have an extra 1st to make it happen.

At some point, the Oilers have to realize that they need a veteran who isn't some 4th line mucker to set an example for the young forwards, ala Hudler for the Flames.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #37
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol I don't know if Sharp would waive his NTC to go to the oil.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:51 AM   #38
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
lol I don't know if Sharp would waive his NTC to go to the oil.
McDavid changes things. No way around it. You can try to talk your way around that fact but you'd be lying to yourself.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #39
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Yes if both the player and team want to get out of the contract it is possible. Petyr Sykora was demoted to the AHL by the Wild in 2010 and refused to report so the contract was terminated
I assume this can't be exploited to avoid recapture penalties?
No way in hell Chi should get away with that Hossa contract.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2015, 11:54 AM   #40
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
What? Hudler is a top 10 scorer in the league, with a very cap-friendly contract for next season. Yes Alzner addresses our biggest area of concern, and Hudler addresses the Caps biggest area of concern. Yes short term, but they are trying to win now and have quite a bit of depth on D.

It would be a great trade for both sides, maybe we're just not used to making trades that actually make sense for us in recent years.
He was a top 10 scorer in the league... Last year. He is a great player that had an unbelievable season.

I doubt many, if anyone, around the league sees him as a perennial top 10 scorer in the league. He beat his previous best season by 19 points. And that was 7 years prior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Sigh. Maybe just a pipe dream and I have rose coloured glasses I suppose.
The trade does make sense, but Washington really wouldn't want to lose defensive depth I assume to add scoring. I think they will look elsewhere.
Closed Thread