Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #41
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Actually according to his lawyer the district/state attorney has yet to file charges.

I believe the Police and prosecutors are meeting later this week to decide whether to proceed with charges
Posting bail without a charge?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #42
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Posting bail without a charge?
That's what his lawyer said... not too familiar with the workings of the State of California's judical system so I am not sure how it works.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...020-story.html
Quote:
Voynov's criminal defense attorney, Craig Renetzky, said that there would not be a court appearance on Wednesday in Torrance. He said it would be Dec. 1.

"The court date [in December] is because he bailed out, not because any charges have been filed," he said in a telephone interview with The Times. "At this point, there have been no charges filed against him. The police are still investigating, as we are, and we're hopeful no charges will be filed."
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #43
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Bail assures that you will return to court to be arraigned (charged). It comes prior to being charged in the judicial process.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #44
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Should Darryl Sutter wait for the "facts" too?

Kings coach Darryl Sutter talks about Slava Voynov's arrest/suspension: "Absolutely. It’s very appropriate.’’ http://bit.ly/126JGTC
The entire Kings organization supports the suspension while the league does their investigation. This does not mean they have determined Voynov has done what he's been accused of, just they they support the process, as they should. This is a very serious allegation that deserves harsh punishment if true. The league had to do what it did.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #45
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
The entire Kings organization supports the suspension while the league does their investigation. This does not mean they have determined Voynov has done what he's been accused of, just they they support the process, as they should. This is a very serious allegation that deserves harsh punishment if true. The league had to do what it did.
I actually disagree with the league keeping his cap hit against the Kings at this point in time. Seems like unneeded punishment to the team, especially considering the accused is still getting paid BY THE TEAM
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #46
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

lisa dillman @reallisa
Voynov case was presented to the DA's office this pm for filing consideration, according to RB police department. More news to come
Old 10-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #47
Arya Stark
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If true, that is some bad police work.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/s...hit-girlfriend

LOS ANGELES -- Slava Voynov's attorney says the Kings defenseman never hit his girlfriend, and he blames Voynov's arrest on a misunderstanding partly caused by the couple's limited English.

Craig Renetzky is hopeful the NHL will end Voynov's indefinite suspension after reviewing the events that led to Voynov's arrest at a hospital near his home.
"From everything they've both said to me, this didn't amount to a crime," Renetzky said. "I think when the police understand what happened, their impression will be quite different."
Renetzky interviewed Voynov and his girlfriend extensively with help from a Russian interpreter. Without providing specific details, Renetzky said Voynov's girlfriend's injury resulted from "an accident."

"Slava never hit her," Renetzky said. "She was injured, but it's not a result of Slava punching her or anything remotely like that."
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #48
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah sure buddy... battered woman syndrome saves a Russian's career.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #49
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
If true, that is some bad police work.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/s...hit-girlfriend

LOS ANGELES -- Slava Voynov's attorney says the Kings defenseman never hit his girlfriend, and he blames Voynov's arrest on a misunderstanding partly caused by the couple's limited English.

Craig Renetzky is hopeful the NHL will end Voynov's indefinite suspension after reviewing the events that led to Voynov's arrest at a hospital near his home.
"From everything they've both said to me, this didn't amount to a crime," Renetzky said. "I think when the police understand what happened, their impression will be quite different."
Renetzky interviewed Voynov and his girlfriend extensively with help from a Russian interpreter. Without providing specific details, Renetzky said Voynov's girlfriend's injury resulted from "an accident."

"Slava never hit her," Renetzky said. "She was injured, but it's not a result of Slava punching her or anything remotely like that."
If you read the whole thing, the lawyer says (paraphrasing) "I don't know what happened because they won't tell me, but she says he didn't hit her. It's because of the language barrier, but he won't tell me what the language barrier problem was. He did nothing wrong"
Old 10-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #50
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

The DA has asked the police to follow up on something before deciding to press charges:

lisa dillman @reallisa
The DA's office has requested additional follow up before making a determination on the filing of charges, per RB PD release.

lisa dillman @reallisa
Breaking news: That was re the Slava Voynov case. Again the case was sent back for "additional follow up" before making a determination.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #51
Arya Stark
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
If you read the whole thing, the lawyer says (paraphrasing) "I don't know what happened because they won't tell me, but she says he didn't hit her. It's because of the language barrier, but he won't tell me what the language barrier problem was. He did nothing wrong"
He did not say that all. I know you were paraphrasing but the lawyer actually said ""I can't go into any details but I can tell you Mr. Voynov did not hit her," Renetzky told ESPN.com.."

Not sure how you got that from the story.
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #52
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
He did not say that all. I know you were paraphrasing but the lawyer actually said ""I can't go into any details but I can tell you Mr. Voynov did not hit her," Renetzky told ESPN.com.."

Not sure how you got that from the story.
I read that part earlier but now I can't find the article
Old 10-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #53
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

With Kopitar possibly unable to play tonight's game against the Flyers, the Kings are trying to negotiate special cap relief between the NHL and NHLPA to call up a player. If they don't receive the cap relief, they will have to dress less than 20 players.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/kings/...028-story.html
Quote:
One question was answered as injured Kings center Anze Kopitar got on the plane Monday and accompanied his teammates to Philadelphia.

But if his upper-body injury keeps him out of Tuesday's game against the Flyers, the Kings face the possibility of dressing only 11 forwards because they're too close to the salary cap to bring up a replacement from the minor leagues. Kings executives spent much of the day Monday working with officials from the NHL and the NHL Players' Assn. trying to get a temporary cap exemption and the flexibility to recall a player from Manchester (N.H.), likely Jordan Weal.

The Kings' salary-cap situation is complicated because the salary of defenseman Slava Voynov counts against their cap total during his league-imposed suspension. Voynov was suspended indefinitely by the NHL last week after his arrest on suspicion of domestic violence.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:43 AM   #54
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't we have to do that back in Sutter era? Dress less than 20 players. Kings better not some "special cap" relief.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:50 AM   #55
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

When did Darryl get promoted to GM?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #56
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Didn't we have to do that back in Sutter era? Dress less than 20 players. Kings better not some "special cap" relief.
Since then, a new clause has been added to the CBA to allow for roster emergencies:
Quote:
(e) Roster Emergency Exception. In the event that (i) a Club has Payroll Room less than the sum of the Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and $100,000 (i.e., that Club's Averaged Club Salary is greater than the Upper Limit minus the Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary minus $100,000); (ii) a Player on such Club becomes unfit or unable to play (i.e., is injured, ill or disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player) or is suspended; (iii) such Club is unable to sign and/or Recall a Player with an Averaged Amount equal to the Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary plus $100,000 under the Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception; (iv) as a result of such Player being unfit or unable to play or suspended and the Club having Payroll Room less than the sum of the Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and $100,000, the Club has fewer than eighteen (18) skaters and two (2) goalies ("18 and 2") on its Playing Roster (pursuant to Section 16.4(c)); and (v) the Club played its previous game with fewer than 18 and 2 (a "Roster Emergency"), then such Club may, beginning with the second game and continuing with all subsequent games and without any charge to the Club's Averaged Club Salary for the duration of such Roster Emergency, add to its Playing Roster the requisite number of "emergency replacement" Player(s), provided, however, that (i) each such Player may not have an Averaged Amount that is more than the then-applicable Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary plus $100,000 (e.g., $625,000 in 2012-13); and (ii) each such Player may only remain on that Club's Active Roster during the period of the "Roster Emergency."
The Kings should be able to use this clause to recall a player making less than $650,000, but only after dressing less than 20 players for one game.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #57
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
That was an entirely different CBA, and the new one actually does allow for a level of relief meant to account for a situation exactly like Calgary found itself in. This case is a little different, but if the league lets them recall a low-salary wage player, that would be fine with me.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #58
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

looks like they are going with 19

lisa dillman @reallisa
Per Dean Lombardi - the kings won't be at to recall a player for Kopitar spot

lisa dillman @reallisa
He said they will be playing one short tonight - DL most definitely unhappy - called the situation 'a political football '

Last edited by sureLoss; 10-28-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #59
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Manage your cap better, Dean.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #60
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any updates? With her saying she fell or whatever they probably don't have much of a case.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote