Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #321
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I'd be genuinely shocked if a judge didn't take into account his status as a top tier NHL player and let him stay.

In the grand scheme of things, he contributes to the USA economy and isn't a safety concern for the general public. In fact, if the judge was really serious about his wife's safety, he's almost better off keeping them in the USA. I don't think Russia's domestic violence laws are as robust to say the least.
I question this. There are a finite number of jobs and number of dollars in the NHL.

If he doesn't take the job, someone else will.

I would argue that he doesn't contribute at all. He takes a (very high paying) job away from a North American.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #322
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Or another Russian. Or a Swede, or a Finn...

I have to say "he doesn't contributes at all" because someone else could do the job is one of the the most ridiculous arguments I have ever read. By that logic, literally any player contributes nothing. By extension, literally any worker contributes nothing - because there is always someone else that could do the job.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:07 PM   #323
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I have to say "he doesn't contributes at all" because someone else could do the job is one of the the most ridiculous arguments I have ever read.
If that were the argument actually being made, you would have a point.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #324
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Or another Russian. Or a Swede, or a Finn...

I have to say "he doesn't contributes at all" because someone else could do the job is one of the the most ridiculous arguments I have ever read. By that logic, literally any player contributes nothing. By extension, literally any worker contributes nothing - because there is always someone else that could do the job.
I think you missed the parts about a finite number of jobs and a finite money pool.

The NHL is a very unique situation (unlike the economy at large).

1) there are 23 x 30 jobs

2) the total amount of money paid out to those 690 players is equal to HRR/2 (no matter how it gets divided up, or to whom)

Whether Voynov takes a slice or not has no effect on the overall impact of NHL salaries because, if he doesn't, that money goes elsewhere.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2015, 07:21 PM   #325
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/re...-kings-voynov/

The url pretty much says it all. And thus ends the NHL career of Voynov. As Stephen King would say, "No great loss." I would imagine the Kings would be off the hook for the remainder of his contract at this point.
Lanny'sDaMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #326
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/re...-kings-voynov/

The url pretty much says it all. And thus ends the NHL career of Voynov.
Depending on the outcome of his deportation hearing. It's not a foregone conclusion yet.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #327
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I think you missed the parts about a finite number of jobs and a finite money pool.

The NHL is a very unique situation (unlike the economy at large).

1) there are 23 x 30 jobs

2) the total amount of money paid out to those 690 players is equal to HRR/2 (no matter how it gets divided up, or to whom)

Whether Voynov takes a slice or not has no effect on the overall impact of NHL salaries because, if he doesn't, that money goes elsewhere.
Yes, but does Voynov contribute to the HRR more than player x? That is the question.

Voynov is a top notch d-man, and he's a foreigner. Foreign players usually have a legion of fans from their hometown/province that buy jerseys, game center, merch and perhaps make trips to the USA to watch. Russian language media must be paying something to the NHL to have the right to interview it's players I assume. It's impossible to know for sure, but your analysis is a little oversimplified.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #328
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Depending on the outcome of his deportation hearing. It's not a foregone conclusion yet.
Fair enough, but I am making the assumption he's getting tossed out the country. That's based on the lawyers quoted as saying these kinds of charges end up in deportation more often than not.
Lanny'sDaMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #329
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
Fair enough, but I am making the assumption he's getting tossed out the country. That's based on the lawyers quoted as saying these kinds of charges end up in deportation more often than not.
Off the top of my head though, I can't remember a high profile foreign athlete being deported.

It would be an interested precedent if Voynov was actually sent packing, and the Kings can thank Uncle Sam for jump starting their rebuild
Old 09-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #330
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I seriously doubt he gets deported. He'll be playing for LA in the season opener.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #331
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Off the top of my head though, I can't remember a high profile foreign athlete being deported.

It would be an interested precedent if Voynov was actually sent packing, and the Kings can thank Uncle Sam for jump starting their rebuild
Can you remember any high profile foreign athlete's getting charged for domestic violence? Key word being foreign because I know it's common in the NFL, but those are Murican's playing in Murica.

Not trying to sound like an a-hole, but this really isn't the kind of situation that happens on a regular basis.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #332
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
Can you remember any high profile foreign athlete's getting charged for domestic violence? Key word being foreign because I know it's common in the NFL, but those are Murican's playing in Murica.

Not trying to sound like an a-hole, but this really isn't the kind of situation that happens on a regular basis.

I do not think you are an a-hole.

I can't think of foreign athlete with a domestic violence case. But people always look for comparables. I think whether or not he gets the boot, future cases will look to this case as the example or benchmark.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #333
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what kind of pull a sports league has on US Immagration? I guess we've seen a lot happen when it comes to the US prosecutors (maybe connections? deals? money?) but immagration as far as I can tell, is a giant beaurocratic cluster-F. Not sure there is as much wiggle room.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:42 PM   #334
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do not think you are an a-hole.

I can't think of foreign athlete with a domestic violence case. But people always look for comparables. I think whether or not he gets the boot, future cases will look to this case as the example or benchmark.
Which is why the I.C.E will likely deport him. Want to be a millionaire athlete and play in the U.S? Don't commit crimes. Only thing he really has going for him is that he plead down to a misdemeanor, otherwise I don't think there would have been an immigration hearing, he'd have served his time and shuffled off onto the boat upon release. At least this way he has a dice roll. Not a good one by the looks of things.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:38 PM   #335
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
I wonder what kind of pull a sports league has on US Immagration? I guess we've seen a lot happen when it comes to the US prosecutors (maybe connections? deals? money?) but immagration as far as I can tell, is a giant beaurocratic cluster-F. Not sure there is as much wiggle room.
However much pull the NHL has, you can be sure they'll use every bit of it. After all, the great majority of the players on U.S. teams are foreigners – and the Canadian teams have to play the majority of their road games in the U.S. If players start getting deported for charges on which they have not been convicted, it could be ruinous to the entire business of hockey.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #336
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
However much pull the NHL has, you can be sure they'll use every bit of it. After all, the great majority of the players on U.S. teams are foreigners – and the Canadian teams have to play the majority of their road games in the U.S. If players start getting deported for charges on which they have not been convicted, it could be ruinous to the entire business of hockey.
Voynov was convicted though. Spent time in the slammer.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #337
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Voynov was convicted though. Spent time in the slammer.
So he was. I glitched on that because the stupid thread title still only says ‘Voynov charged’.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #338
kerni
Draft Pick

It may be Canada but a similar situation with joffrey reynolds and he was deported back to the us
Old 09-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #339
Bownesian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Speaking of Canada, will there not have to be another proceeding regarding his admissibility into our country?

Having watched that Border Security show, it seems the rules are pretty strict in that regard and he would have to have a Canadian exemption to be let across our border for road games up here.
Bownesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:26 PM   #340
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bownesian View Post
Speaking of Canada, will there not have to be another proceeding regarding his admissibility into our country?

Having watched that Border Security show, it seems the rules are pretty strict in that regard and he would have to have a Canadian exemption to be let across our border for road games up here.
Exemptions aren't too hard to get.

The deportation thing - how many foreign workers are deported for misdemeanours? I guess in large part it will depend on whether the Kings go to bat for him.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote