Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-03-2015, 01:48 PM   #21
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing to do with his radio interview, but my office is in Sunlife plaza and Craig is getting ready to repel down the side of the building (Easter Seals charity event), just saw him in the lobby!
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #22
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yup, Arizona played well above its budget level for years under that management (and a good coach who I wanted instead of Sutter the third).
Why would a fan want their team (or any team they have to watch regularly) to be coached by Tippett? Do you enjoy sleeping through games?
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #23
Loudog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-m...er-and-pinder/

Bob Hartley was on this morning, really love listening to how much he cares about the development of this team.

He sounds like he is as excited about the three big questions heading into camp as we are: what's going to happen in the crease, what's going to happen with the D pairings, and what's going to happen with the forwards.

Is it October yet??
Loudog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Loudog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #24
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ The crease, the D and the forwards. Well I guess that about covers it!
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #25
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Why would a fan want their team (or any team they have to watch regularly) to be coached by Tippett? Do you enjoy sleeping through games?
No way it would've been worse than Sutter, where the team looked uninspired/scared to lose most of the time. Those were some of the most boring teams to watch in franchise history IMO, I doubt under Tippett it would've been much worse. Also, I bet Tippett would've gotten a couple of those teams into the playoffs... which may have actually been a bad thing now that I think of it, as everything we have now would be much different.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #26
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

You are correct, Sutter was the most boring coach in history.

You are a power forward? Dump and chase

A playmaker? Dump and chase

A fleetfooted Bouwmeester that could gain the zone with his reach and puck protection? Dump and chase

Sutter was an idiot, he coached the team like they were 18 grinders.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2015, 04:38 PM   #27
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post

A fleetfooted Bouwmeester that could gain the zone with his reach and puck protection? Dump and chase

Most frustrating 3 years of watching hockey I've experienced (I was too young to remember the Young Guns era).

Obligatory:

Old 09-04-2015, 08:50 PM   #28
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Most frustrating 3 years of watching hockey I've experienced (I was too young to remember the Young Guns era).

Obligatory:

Haha, remember when Eric Francis and a couple other people said his name should be thrown in for Jack Adams votes?
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:43 PM   #29
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Haha. Brent was the worst. So true.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:18 PM   #30
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post

I hated the style of hockey that Sutter was using, but he had no choice. The only way to try and compete for a final playoff spot with that roster was to play that way. Do some forget Hartely's first year with the flames when he changed it to a more open , speed game, with pretty much the same roster that Sutter had? They were done by the end of January.

Granted I doubt he would have changed his game plan if he had the roster that the flames have today.

Also for the poster laughing that Sutter should have gotten consideration for Jack Adams.... I agree with Francis. If he had snuck that country club , veteran , slow team to the playoffs , he should have been considered.

Last edited by kyuss275; 09-04-2015 at 10:20 PM.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:22 PM   #31
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Brad Anthopoulos
Buck Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:44 PM   #32
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

brent so bad sutter.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:54 AM   #33
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I hated the style of hockey that Sutter was using, but he had no choice. The only way to try and compete for a final playoff spot with that roster was to play that way. Do some forget Hartely's first year with the flames when he changed it to a more open , speed game, with pretty much the same roster that Sutter had? They were done by the end of January.

Granted I doubt he would have changed his game plan if he had the roster that the flames have today.

Also for the poster laughing that Sutter should have gotten consideration for Jack Adams.... I agree with Francis. If he had snuck that country club , veteran , slow team to the playoffs , he should have been considered.

To be fair, Hartley was brand new to the organization and didn't even get a full training camp to prepare. He also had Kiprusoff who had a career worst year, his last one in the NHL. I don't buy that this was a product of the team in front of him either because he looked Scrivens-esque and was supplanted by Joey fricken McDonald as the starter by the end of the year.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:33 AM   #34
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gilbert was worse then Brent.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #35
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

That gif is just wow. Terrible flashbacks man, terrible flashbacks...

'SHOOT THE PUCK ALEX!!!!!'

'WAY TO CUTE IGGY!!!!!'

'bouwmeester...'

'come on Bouw!'

'DAMMIT BOUMEESTER!?!?!?!?!?!'

Not so bad flashbacks haha

'Thank god for Kipper'

'Hey that Brodie guy might be something'

'Gio should be captain one day'
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2015, 08:38 AM   #36
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post

Disagree here.

Sutter's system revolved around 'the walls'. Defencemen were not allowed to pass the puck up the middle of the ice, and had to chip it along the boards to the forwards. Opposing forwards knew this, and would cheat, and a board battle would ensue.

On offence, the plays revolved around cycling. Again, in what world does it make sense to force one of the oldest and one of the smallest teams in the NHL to cycle? The consensus at the time was: "This team can't score off the rush." Well, it looked liked to me they did a better job scoring off the rush than off the cycle.

There were good things about Brent's system that he just wasn't able to implement - the forwards doing a better job of supporting the defencemen being the most obvious. He just couldn't get the buy-in from the players (which may be because the core was difficult to coach, or perhaps Brent wasn't a good motivator, or perhaps because players tuned him out due to the disagreement on how they should play?).

By the time Hartley took over, that team was done. It is tough to blame Hartley for being unable to turn that team around - especially without the benefit of camp and the big distraction of the lockout. Coaching changes and their corresponding systems take a while to get implemented, even with the benefit of camp. Don't you remember when Brent first took over, and the Flames were winning (I think 3rd overall in the NHL or something) and Brent kept insisting they are not playing the 'correct' way?

I am not sure what system Brent should have been using, but in no way was cycling and forcing the team to play along the boards from the defensive zone and into the offensive zone a logical system for the NHL's oldest (or 2nd oldest?) team and the NHL's smallest team. It made no sense really. It made even less sense after 3 seasons of trying to force it to happen without any success.

It will be interesting to see how Hartley incorporates Hamilton, Frolik Navidad and Bennett in the system. What will be more interesting is what happens as the team slowly gets bigger if guys like Ferland, Carrol, Smith, etc., start making the team as full-time NHL players. Then you can really start seeing the Flames being able to compete along the boards and up the middle.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2015, 10:43 AM   #37
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Murdock View Post
Brad Anthopoulos
Screw that.

The Jays GM is Alex Treliving.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2015, 02:41 PM   #38
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

A buddy told me that he saw a bunch of Flames practicing at Winsport this morning. Anyone know who was there? Last time I went there, saw Bouma, Ferland & Stajan.