Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2015, 08:26 PM   #861
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Icon23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
I find it disgusting that Slava Voynov's contract is still going despite the fact he abused his wife. But I guess it's a good thing the Kings drew the line at illegal drug possession, right?

oh wait...http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...-say-1.3041111

I mean come on LA!!! You're 2,529.1 km away you you still stink of bull####!
The Kings can't do anything about Voynov or his contract until he is reinstated by the NHL. I'm pretty sure that's been pointed out many times in this thread. NOBODY in the Kings organization has demonstrated in any capacity they support any player beating his wife. That is absurd.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:36 PM   #862
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

What about every single player who seemed perfectly fine with Voynov being on the ice two weeks after being charged with domestic violence and a day after entering a Not Guilty plea? Such as Jake Muzzin with whom he took line rushes? Every member of the coaching staff who let it happen? Including Daryl Sutter, in whom I was fantastically disappointed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/la-king...1593--nhl.html
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 08:42 PM   #863
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
What about every single player who seemed perfectly fine with Voynov being on the ice two weeks after being charged with domestic violence and a day after entering a Not Guilty plea? Such as Jake Muzzin with whom he took line rushes? Every member of the coaching staff who let it happen? Including Daryl Sutter, in whom I was fantastically disappointed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/la-king...1593--nhl.html
Also the Voynov incident started at a TEAM halloween party where he struck her and continued the abuse at home.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 08:50 PM   #864
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
The Kings can't do anything about Voynov or his contract until he is reinstated by the NHL. I'm pretty sure that's been pointed out many times in this thread. NOBODY in the Kings organization has demonstrated in any capacity they support any player beating his wife. That is absurd.
True but how long did they have before the NHL had to suspend him? If I recall they had until after he was charged.

And yeah when they let Voynov use they practice facilities they clearly showed that beating your spouse isn't a serious enough issue at all. In fact taking drugs over the border is a massive no-no.

Also I'm not saying drug possession is cool but you have to agree that Kings are backwards when it comes to things like thing right now.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:04 AM   #865
TX_Flame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
How do you know one or more teams did not try to rehab him? And why should that absolve him completely of blame?

Way too many assumptions in this thread by people on both sides.
If they had tried to rehab him he would have been in the collectively bargained substance abuse program. Duh!
TX_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:54 AM   #866
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
With all due respect, you've said in the past you are close to sources in the Kings organization. Perhaps so close that you've lost a bit of perspective.

After the "incident", as people have said above, the Kings were still willing to associate with Voynov, with that practice participation which came after the suspension (resulting in a fine). At the time Lombardi said the it would be "beneficial" for Voynov to be with his teammates.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2015, 06:53 PM   #867
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Mike Richards’ case pushed back to December

Quote:
Mike Richards’ case pushed back to December

By James O'BrienSep 10, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT

A lawyer appeared in court on Mike Richards’ behalf on Thursday, and the ultimate result is that his case has been remanded to Dec. 8, according to the Winnipeg Free Press.

No plea was entered regarding charges of possession of a controlled substance (oxycodone).

The incident happened at the Emerson Border Crossing as Richards was entering Canada on June 17, while the arrest itself happened on Aug. 25.
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/09/10/...k-to-december/
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #868
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice to see the Kings trying to be more proactive here. Not sure if this is all they are planning on changing, but at least it is a step in the right direction. It is also a very interesting article on its' own.

http://www.tsn.ca/from-lifetime-ban-...eline-1.364723
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #869
Ulrith
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Nice to see the Kings trying to be more proactive here. Not sure if this is all they are planning on changing, but at least it is a step in the right direction. It is also a very interesting article on its' own.

http://www.tsn.ca/from-lifetime-ban-...eline-1.364723
Hard to call it proactive after 3 major and public incidents in just the last few months. I mean, good on them for doing something I guess, but this just sounds more like a PR move to me.
Ulrith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulrith For This Useful Post:
T@T
Old 09-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #870
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sounds like PR and lip service to the nhlpa to me as well
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #871
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Sounds like PR and lip service to the nhlpa to me as well
Why would the Kings care about the NHLPA? Maybe the NHLPA should run these programs for all their players, where is their responsibility?
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #872
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honest philosophical question: why are employers responsible for their employees well being outside of the work place? Why must an employer in this specific case provide anything to a contracted employee with the financial wherewithal to anything the employer can?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #873
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Id actually argue mike richards addictions to painkillers was a direct result of what a warrior he was on the ice. The nhl is a grind and when you play the way he does for 10+ years and you get the pressure to perform at all costs...
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:45 AM   #874
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Honest philosophical question: why are employers responsible for their employees well being outside of the work place? Why must an employer in this specific case provide anything to a contracted employee with the financial wherewithal to anything the employer can?
Because in order to extract maximum return for their investment, they need their players lives to be as healthy as possible, mentally and physically.

It's the same sort of concept as companies investing in extended medical that covers things like kinesiology for their executives.

From a humanist perspective, it makes sense to have an individual who is 'outside the chain of command' like the function a Chaplain serves in the military.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:01 AM   #875
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:

Three reasons that I could think of off the top of my head. Firstly the employer has a vested interest in the employee being happy and healthy, hence more productive; secondly it helps attract better talent, when the employer is known for "caring" and possibly providing benefits others don't; thirdly it allows the employer to have a larger influence in creating the corporate culture that it wants to have.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:46 AM   #876
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Three reasons that I could think of off the top of my head. Firstly the employer has a vested interest in the employee being happy and healthy, hence more productive; secondly it helps attract better talent, when the employer is known for "caring" and possibly providing benefits others don't; thirdly it allows the employer to have a larger influence in creating the corporate culture that it wants to have.
Fourthly, and most importantly, it's just the right thing to do. As much as I'm happy that a sober Ferland is a benefit to the Flames, the fact that Hartley cared enough to pull him aside would have made me proud to be a Flames fan even if Ferland had never played a game for Calgary.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #877
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think this is a great idea. I could easily see Grats in this role here. Hanging with the boys and being there as a resource for them to ask questions of someone who has been there. The trick is having someone that will be accepted as one of them. Grats would be easy. Mhyrres will have a bit tougher time as he is being dropped into the team and there will be suspicion. With what the teams invest in these players, having someone to step in and provide a bit of guidance or restraint is a great investment.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #878
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Because drug and alcohol addiction are medically reconized disability in Canada; therefore, protected under the Charter of Rights and Freedom. US has the same classification, I believe the Americans with Disabilities act protects them.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:00 PM   #879
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrith View Post
Hard to call it proactive after 3 major and public incidents in just the last few months. I mean, good on them for doing something I guess, but this just sounds more like a PR move to me.
I think the GM publicly said this was all his fault for not recognizing the problem and doing something about it before these events. When someone takes personal responsibility (which is sadly a rare thing these days) and then says this is what he is going to do, I don't think it's PR.

Maybe too little to late, or not a great idea ultimately, but it seems like a genuine move by a person who did not deflect his blame for the mess.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #880
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdutka View Post
Because drug and alcohol addiction are medically reconized disability in Canada; therefore, protected under the Charter of Rights and Freedom. US has the same classification, I believe the Americans with Disabilities act protects them.
Agreed, and considering how medicated many athletes are, addiction is very much a potential occupational hazard. It's not unlike a roofer blowing out a knee or a construction worker hurt their back.