Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #7861
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
I don't know, man. I hate the oilers so, so much. But I don't want to see Edmonton get nuked. That's a little much.

My guess is that was what is commonly referred to as a "joke".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #7862
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
Not sure what the taste is, but the smell of Edmonton is the combination of KY Jelly and frustration.
Rexall brand though.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #7863
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently Google has changed the image shown when searching for Edmonton from some rusted smoke stacks spewing filth to a shopped up pic of the river valley, or something.

http://www.cbc.ca/1.4240855

Shall we play 'what should the new image actually be' game?

You start...
Old 08-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #7864
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

This should work

Spoiler!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 08:54 PM   #7865
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

"We appreciate Google's swift response and are continuing to work with them...I definitely know that the City of Edmonton and Google are going to continue to work together to showcase all of the vibrancy Edmonton has to offer."

Apparently Google has had several employees quit in the past 48 hours, citing "impossible working conditions" and a cryptic message of "E=NG" Google engineers work around the clock to decipher said message.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 11:39 PM   #7866
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Apparently Google has changed the image shown when searching for Edmonton from some rusted smoke stacks spewing filth to a shopped up pic of the river valley, or something.

You start...
"they worked closely with Google"
"appreciate Google's swift response and are continuing to work with them"
"the change marks the beginning of a working relationship with Google"
"City of Edmonton and Google are going to continue to work together"

What? Google puts up pictures for thousands of cities and landmarks etc. all over the world. They don't care one bit about Edmonton and a working relationship with a city.

You submitted multiple complaint requests and some 21 year old intern eventually spent 12 seconds to verify you were actually a city representative and told another 20 year old intern to spend 10 seconds to replace the photo.

Edmonton is like some sad kid with no self esteem who tries to talk up how he worked "with" a famous actor when actually you worked as a staffer for a personal assistant. You picked up his dry cleaning and took it to his trailer while he was in town filming but you never even saw him and security took it inside.

"But I'm not lying man, Google called me. They know who I am, and we're friends now!"
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #7867
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thing is, this "beautiful city" shot they managed to get google to use is just short and boxy concrete buildings with some trees in the foreground all framed by admittedly a pretty nice sunset. It's too bad other cities don't have trees and sunsets...
Old 08-11-2017, 09:36 AM   #7868
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like how the old picture is just downtown from a different angle a little further east.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #7869
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I heard on TV yesterday the new photo was taken by a Calgarian. Traitor.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #7870
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post

You start...
First of all the original photo was pretty terrible as a representative picture of the city so I can't blew them for having it changed. Second of all I actually like that Edmonton is putting a lot of effort into it's image as I feel Calgary just rests on the fact it's close to the mountains. I feel there's better community pride in Edmonton as Calgary feels like a city of transplants where people are here because of work but don't really care deeply about the city itself. The fact the Peace Bridge is Calgary's current claim to fame is pretty sad IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #7871
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
I don't know, man. I hate the oilers so, so much. But I don't want to see Edmonton get nuked. That's a little much.
Absolutely agree. I mean there are other ways to address the situation. Like, can't they just do something to everyone's veins or something?
Old 08-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #7872
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think that there's enough wrong with the Oilers to not go to hard on the city itself.

I mean I love the city of Edmonton, I really do. Its a city that brings back memories.

I mean when I drive into Edmonton off of the highway I have flashbacks to the Sopranos opening scene

The deeper you get the more like you feel like you're driving into New Jersey.

When you go into any bar your reminded of Moe's bar in the Simpsons, filled with desperate end of the line people, that smell of over drinking and the over use of their own vomit as hair gel. Unattractive woman praying on men visiting from out of town in the hopes that when they leave they'll take them away to a new life in a city like Calgary or Vancouver or god forbid Toronto.

I mean its a city of intense culture. Did you know that most Edmontonians can speak four different dialects of loser? Its true, its awesome.

And its a true city of athletics, I mean all those woman with bruises on their legs must be playing some kind of sports, its not like they would get these bruises from slamming into the couch as they race to the fridge to have another quart of ice cream while they while away their days watching their stories.

And the Festivals, I hear they're awesome, I mean just last week they sold out the prestigious walmart festival where sweat pants and sandals were on sale for 10% off. Everyone walked away from that one more enlightened then they walked in.

The city of Edmonton is to be admired ladies and gentlemen, not nuked from afar, I mean if you're going to nuke it you should find a way to be able to watch its destruction. But what would the country do without Edmonton. Where would we send all of the people that can't function in a normal environment, or who's idea of color matching is flannel Grey and Black silk socks. Who's idea of art is a Pantara tee-shirt that's two sizes too small?

We need Edmonton, every kingdom needs a jester, because frankly jesters around that funny, but you laugh at how pathetic they are, then throw your chicken bones at them.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #7873
greentree
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think that there's enough wrong with the Oilers to not go to hard on the city itself.

I mean I love the city of Edmonton, I really do. Its a city that brings back memories.

I mean when I drive into Edmonton off of the highway I have flashbacks to the Sopranos opening scene

The deeper you get the more like you feel like you're driving into New Jersey.

When you go into any bar your reminded of Moe's bar in the Simpsons, filled with desperate end of the line people, that smell of over drinking and the over use of their own vomit as hair gel. Unattractive woman praying on men visiting from out of town in the hopes that when they leave they'll take them away to a new life in a city like Calgary or Vancouver or god forbid Toronto.

I mean its a city of intense culture. Did you know that most Edmontonians can speak four different dialects of loser? Its true, its awesome.

And its a true city of athletics, I mean all those woman with bruises on their legs must be playing some kind of sports, its not like they would get these bruises from slamming into the couch as they race to the fridge to have another quart of ice cream while they while away their days watching their stories.

And the Festivals, I hear they're awesome, I mean just last week they sold out the prestigious walmart festival where sweat pants and sandals were on sale for 10% off. Everyone walked away from that one more enlightened then they walked in.

The city of Edmonton is to be admired ladies and gentlemen, not nuked from afar, I mean if you're going to nuke it you should find a way to be able to watch its destruction. But what would the country do without Edmonton. Where would we send all of the people that can't function in a normal environment, or who's idea of color matching is flannel Grey and Black silk socks. Who's idea of art is a Pantara tee-shirt that's two sizes too small?

We need Edmonton, every kingdom needs a jester, because frankly jesters around that funny, but you laugh at how pathetic they are, then throw your chicken bones at them.
Amusing...but it's a shame your grammar and spelling = Edmontonian levels.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #7874
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Second of all I actually like that Edmonton is putting a lot of effort into it's image as I feel Calgary just rests on the fact it's close to the mountains. I feel there's better community pride in Edmonton as Calgary feels like a city of transplants where people are here because of work but don't really care deeply about the city itself. The fact the Peace Bridge is Calgary's current claim to fame is pretty sad IMO.
I completely agree with this. I've lived in and around Calgary for the better part of the past 19 years, while I've spent plenty of time in Edmonton my entire life due to having many relatives and friends there, so I feel like I'm in a position to have at least an informed opinion on this. I've felt a community spirit and pride in Edmonton that I've never picked up on in Calgary. Calgary is a beautiful city and you can't argue with geography/where it's located, but it's always felt to me like a city where people come, make their money, and then move on.

Obviously you can't completely generalize and people will undoubtedly come on here and list countless examples to the contrary, but I completely agree with what you've said.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #7875
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the hell is going on in this thread?
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 11:02 AM   #7876
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Edmonton Oilers Thread = NG

It was bound to happen.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #7877
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Summer with no hockey = NG
Old 08-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #7878
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Amusement.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #7879
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
"We appreciate Google's swift response and are continuing to work with them...I definitely know that the City of Edmonton and Google are going to continue to work together to showcase all of the vibrancy Edmonton has to offer."

Apparently Google has had several employees quit in the past 48 hours, citing "impossible working conditions" and a cryptic message of "E=NG" Google engineers work around the clock to decipher said message.
I guess James Damore figured out E=NG and google used his diversity paper as an excuse at the request of Katz.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #7880
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
I completely agree with this. I've lived in and around Calgary for the better part of the past 19 years, while I've spent plenty of time in Edmonton my entire life due to having many relatives and friends there, so I feel like I'm in a position to have at least an informed opinion on this. I've felt a community spirit and pride in Edmonton that I've never picked up on in Calgary. Calgary is a beautiful city and you can't argue with geography/where it's located, but it's always felt to me like a city where people come, make their money, and then move on.

Obviously you can't completely generalize and people will undoubtedly come on here and list countless examples to the contrary, but I completely agree with what you've said.
That's actually a fair take. I personally don't like how Calgary has grown so much in the last number of years because it has made it more of a hub for people from abroad looking to move up and a very diverse city that has in turn lost some of its identity and homey-ness that it once had as a smaller city with families that were Calgarian stretching back a couple generations.

There are so many new Calgarians that you can bring up the Flames and the Iginla era and some people will stare at you blankly, which is crazy to think.

It's a city building out and not up, so you have more and more cookie cutter suburbs that all look the same full of people that have only known the city for a few years and don't know what the Caglarian identity really is or looks/feels like.

I have picked up on more of a sense of pride in the community lately in Edmonton which has not experienced the same kind of rapid growth as Calgary (which probably helps with that sense of inclusiveness). Though in the media it comes off as obnoxious pride that lacks self awareness. Edmonton in contrast seems like a city that is almost like that small town that many people don't escape, but they cope by buying into this self-contained belief that it's the best thing out there which probably boosts their spirits.
Closed Thread