Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2024, 04:07 PM   #81
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
No worries, Treliving knows what a good coach looks like
Is that why he never hires them?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 04:27 PM   #82
Meers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I never understand why teams fire a coach who routinely gets them into the playoffs.

The next season's coach may not even clear that bar.

Look for the Laffs to miss the playoffs next year.
Meers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 04:33 PM   #83
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Sutter could whip them into shape.
Or whip them into a frenzy, complete with torches and pitchforks.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 04:43 PM   #84
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meers View Post
I never understand why teams fire a coach who routinely gets them into the playoffs.

The next season's coach may not even clear that bar.

Look for the Laffs to miss the playoffs next year.

You don't understand why a team would fire a coach who has won 1 round in 5 years?
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 04:54 PM   #85
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if he waits for the Canes to be swept and goes back to the well. Treliving is a corsi gm
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 05:53 PM   #86
Meers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
You don't understand why a team would fire a coach who has won 1 round in 5 years?
No, I don't understand why a team would fire a coach who's made it to the playoffs five straight years. That's a successful coach in this league.
Meers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 06:20 PM   #87
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No, I don't understand why a team would fire a coach who's made it to the playoffs five straight years. That's a successful coach in this league.

Sure, if you get a prize for making the playoffs. The Leafs have blown series, lost to better teams, lost to worst teams, and have scored 2 or less goals in what, 11 of their last 12 playoffs games?

That is not a successful team, and as we've seen time and time again, it's easier to fire the coach then your players who aren't performing. Plus, it was widely accepted that if the Leafs failed again this year, Keefe was getting canned.

If anyone is surprised, it's because they were not paying attention.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 11:16 PM   #88
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Rod the Bod doesn't have a contract next year. He'd be perfect. Leafs can double whatever tge Canes are willing to pay since they seem to be plating hardball with him.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 01:14 AM   #89
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Rod the Bod doesn't have a contract next year. He'd be perfect. Leafs can double whatever tge Canes are willing to pay since they seem to be plating hardball with him.
they probably won't want him after he gets swept again...the Canes that is
Old 05-10-2024, 05:29 AM   #90
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

A lot of the reporting around Masai Ujiri's last contract negotiation highlighted that the MLSE Board is becoming wary of paying top dollar for coaching and management, given how often the organization has had to pay people not to work for them in recent years. Add Keefe now to that list. So I am not sure Berube -- whose salary ask is by all accounts, and justifiably, astronomical -- is a slam dunk.

If the Board blocks Berube, I think we see a guy on his 3rd or 4th job who will take less because his chances are drying up (McLellan), or a guy on his 2nd job on whom the jury is still out (Woodcroft).
liamenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 06:32 AM   #91
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Leafs would have been pencilled in each one of those years without any specific coach.

When is the last time you thought “wow that team didn’t have a chance at making the playoffs, but their coach got them there!!!”
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 07:17 AM   #92
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really think we know if Keefe is a good or bad coach. My bet for now is on mediocre, but not bad. While I do believe that the Leafs are a poorly constructed team, they do still have elite talent, and to not have more than a single playoff series win is probably falling short of what those teams should have accomplished.

I think McLennan brought up a good point in terms of how the Leafs are operating - trying to trim the roster like Tampa, but unlike Tampa, not having any success. I am curious what ends up happening in Toronto now. One could argue that Treliving didn't get much of an opportunity to really make his stamp on the roster last off-season (though I am not one of those). He had the entire year to really analyze his team now, and had a trade deadline in which to make whatever adjustments he felt were needed, and now he has an entire off-season to really make his mark on the team. I am curious what he does.

I do believe he is a hard-working, but rather mediocre GM who simply gets mediocre results as we have seen for almost 10 seasons here. Flames had some really good regular season success (though never sustained season-to-season), but they have been at best a mediocre playoff team.

Leafs are indeed at an interesting junction. Mathews, Marner and Nylander are basically at their prime (25, 27, 26), Tavares is showing fade at 32 with one year left, and Reilly is 29. They bled a lot of picks over the years (something that Treliving has been guilty of in Calgary as well), but they do have some decent prospects coming through.

I do think that a better coach can get better results out of this group, but Treliving is going to have to figure out how to add to this group as well. Don't think they have enough quality depth, they definitely don't have a championship calibre top 4 defencemen. Goaltending is still questionable to me, though Woll is looking the part.

Hope they don't get Berube. I don't want a coach squeezing out more from that roster. I prefer to have them wallow in mediocrity forever, as revenge for wasting so much of my time in the 90's and early 2000's having to listen to all the Leafs' media about their practices on off-days and doing a bunch of interviews, while showing 30 seconds of replays from the Flames game.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 07:33 AM   #93
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
For starters, over that time period only 8 coaches have won multiple cups, period. And they all won their cups closely together:

Scotty Bowman: 5 cups in 7 years with MTL
Scotty Bowman: 3 cups in 6 years with DET
Al Arbour: 4 cups in 4 years with NYI
Glen Sather: 4 cups in 5 years with No Goods
Joel Quenneville: 3 cups in 6 years with CHI
Mike Sullivan: 2 cups in 2 years with PIT
Fred Shero: 2 cups in 2 years with PHI
Darryl Sutter: 2 cups in 3 years with LAK
Jon Cooper: 2 cups in 2 years with TBL

IMO, it's more that winning even 1 cup is catching lightning in a bottle. A coach who's won in the past is probably more likely to win again, as compared to some random other coach. But even a great coach is still very unlikely to win a cup. Only one team can win each year.
Fixed Sather for you. Can't forget '86.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:01 AM   #94
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1788943280740139322

https://twitter.com/user/status/1788944574783672320

https://twitter.com/user/status/1788941702264193098

https://twitter.com/user/status/1788943256912343384

Last edited by activeStick; 05-10-2024 at 09:07 AM.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:14 AM   #95
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh now Treliving is going to be thorough? This time? Not just...."hey you! Wanna coach in the NHL? Coolsies!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 09:15 AM   #96
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

He'd say the same thing here, then just grab Peters who he worked with once.

I get a kick out of guys like Friedman suggesting Treliving has always been thorough with his hires.

No, not really. But, as someone here noted yesterday, I guess now we'll see if part of the issue here was lack of money made available for coaches.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:19 AM   #97
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
He'd say the same thing here, then just grab Peters who he worked with once.

I get a kick out of guys like Friedman suggesting Treliving has always been thorough with his hires.

No, not really. But, as someone here noted yesterday, I guess now we'll see if part of the issue here was lack of money made available for coaches.
Treliving has such a terrible track-record with coaches I almost cant wait to see who he picks except I'm pretty sure Shanahan will do the actual selection and just kick Treliving in front of the camera to announce it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 10:18 AM   #98
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Tre should give GG another shot.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 10:20 AM   #99
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I think Tre should give GG another shot.
In a perfect world....
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 10:24 AM   #100
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
If the Canes bow out in 4 or 5 (likely) I fully expect him to surface in Seattle.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote