Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #5961
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
You literally swallow about a cup of mucus all day long and don't realize it. You should be gagging constantly. Snot is just dried mucus. People need to calm down with the level of disgust about this topic. It's just considered socially unacceptable, not biologically unacceptable.

Next thing people will be saying they don't poop because poop is gross.
Did you just try to defend an Oiler fan eating boogers? jesus man!
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #5962
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You can drink urine you know? It's 95% water which you ingest every day whether it be a glass of water or various foods, drinks, etc. It's also considered socially unacceptable, not biologically unacceptable. Moral of the story is that picking your nose and eating it is like drinking urine. You can do it but you probably shouldn't, especially in public.
I strongly disagree.

Signed,

Bear Grylls
Old 05-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #5963
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You can drink urine you know? It's 95% water which you ingest every day whether it be a glass of water or various foods, drinks, etc. It's also considered socially unacceptable, not biologically unacceptable. Moral of the story is that picking your nose and eating it is like drinking urine. You can do it but you probably shouldn't, especially in public.
Yeah it's not the same at all.

Humans are constantly producing mucus in the nasopharynx and oropharynx, where it traps debris. We then swallow that mucus into the stomach where the acid destroys most of the pathogenic material. This is a NATURAL process of our immune system.

If some of it dries and gets snorted back and swallowed, nothing is said. If someone pulls it out the other way and swallows it...OMG, the humanity!!!

While our social conventions consider it taboo, it's really not such a crazy or abnormal thing to do. People just dislike seeing it. I just don't think people should have such a stomach turning reaction to it.

Drinking urine serves no biological purpose unless you're trying to stave off death due to dehydration, which I think you will agree is a pretty extreme example to bring up.

I can't believe I'm taking the time to defend an Oiler-fan nose-picker. One of the stranger things I've done in a while, but there you have it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #5964
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
"The phrase was forged after the 1987 tornado that killed 27 people and injured hundreds more. It was dedicated to the volunteers who cleaned up the city in the devastating aftermath.

"[Coun. Tony] Caterina said he’s received about a dozen calls from people in the last two weeks who want to bring the slogan back. He pointed to volunteer efforts after the Fort McMurray wildfire as one reason to rekindle the phrase."
We are all well aware of the "legend" behind the erection of the original City of Champions sign, but I continue to maintain that this is total bunk. IF the city was in fact exclusively concerned to pay tribute to the good people who volunteered their time and good will to help their community, then why the hell would it identify these people as "champions" as opposed to a more natural and clear term like "heroes"? Or to brand the city itself as the City of "courage" or "valour"?

No. While the event of the 1987 tornado prompted the erection of the sign in general, it's actual motto was in no small measure a tribute to the success of the three-time Stanley Cup champion Oilers team, and the multiple Grey Cups won by the Eskimos of the past decade.

The reason this discussion has been resurrected is no different: Yes, the city wants to pay respect to its good citizens, but there is an implicit wish here to valourise their NHL hockey team that has played 13 playoff games for the first time in a decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 05-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #5965
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 05-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #5966
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hate Fallon (with a burning passion).
Old 05-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #5967
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah it's not the same at all.

Humans are constantly producing mucus in the nasopharynx and oropharynx, where it traps debris. We then swallow that mucus into the stomach where the acid destroys most of the pathogenic material. This is a NATURAL process of our immune system.

If some of it dries and gets snorted back and swallowed, nothing is said. If someone pulls it out the other way and swallows it...OMG, the humanity!!!

While our social conventions consider it taboo, it's really not such a crazy or abnormal thing to do. People just dislike seeing it. I just don't think people should have such a stomach turning reaction to it.

Drinking urine serves no biological purpose unless you're trying to stave off death due to dehydration, which I think you will agree is a pretty extreme example to bring up.

I can't believe I'm taking the time to defend an Oiler-fan nose-picker. One of the stranger things I've done in a while, but there you have it.
Oiler lover
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #5968
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
I've lived in Edmonton now for about 5 months after moving from Calgary for work. I thought I'd approach it with an open mind and really give it a chance to feel like home. Sure, it's kinda a gray, dusty, barren industrial city without much architectural merit but they are working on it with projects like the new arena, new LRT line, etc. The mayor of Edmonton seems to have his head on straight. While it doesn't have the mountains, the river can be picturesque in some areas. Although, it's a little colder and grayer in Edmonton I find it's not as windy. Traffic also seems to be a little easier than in Calgary. Also, they seem to have a lot of festivals in the summer. So, there are definitely some positives about living in Edmonton.

But then...I noticed something popping up every now and again that I ignored at first as an outlier, but then I kept noticing it. Every few days I see a local commercial on TV, a newspaper headline, a quote from a local official or just some random commentary extoling Edmonton and Edmontonians as "special". Over and over I hear the same comment from the locals and their media that the city is a special place to live and the area is special and the hockey team is special and the fans are special and McDavid and the stadium is special and the river is special and McDavid and the history is special and "5 CUPS, did you know we have 5 CUPS!!!???" and McDavid and the capital and festivals and McDavid and special special special special special...

The inferiority complex in this town is staggering.

BTW- for shame to let this go to the second page. They may be in the second round but forever and always:

EDMONTON IS NO GOOD!
I will quote this post to remind why the city feels it needs it's "City of Champions" slogan. The city and it's people really need constant assurance that Edmonton is special. Winnipeg is no prize but you don't see that city resort to patting themselves on their backs to feel better about where they live. Just bizarre.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #5969
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah it's not the same at all
This is the best argument for booger eating I've ever read. Haha. Maybe the only.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #5970
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Spoiler!

It's like lottery draft day all over again.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3439990/my...-is-fantastic/
Tim and Sid are just ripping McJesus and this terrible photo.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #5971
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That picture really looks like they're getting ready to drag him into the back and harvest his seed.

the whole thing is creepy and he looks horrified.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 05-10-2017, 05:22 PM   #5972
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hopefully this photo mockery gets in his head.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #5973
Greybeard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Textcritic you have it bang on... if you are naming it after heroes call it that. Incredibly lame that the whole "city of champions" thing has come to the forefront before their team has even won two rounds after missing the playoff for 10 years. How sad.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #5974
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So some Oiler fans were just letting some Flames fans have it today Haha. Oilers have more wins in the playoffs than flames have had since 04. Is this correct?
Old 05-10-2017, 06:10 PM   #5975
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

A pointless stat but it's true.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #5976
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtwofinger View Post
Tim and Sid are just ripping McJesus and this terrible photo.
For the love of God stop calling him McJesus. It's vomit inducing to read. The only person I've ever met that thinks that nickname is awesome was a 12 year old.

(Not trying to single you out, you just happen to be the most recent offender).
Old 05-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #5977
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
For the love of God stop calling him McJesus. It's vomit inducing to read. The only person I've ever met that thinks that nickname is awesome was a 12 year old.
I think thats the point.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #5978
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post
A pointless stat but it's true.

Wait since 04 no since 06 yes

Old 05-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #5979
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
So some Oiler fans were just letting some Flames fans have it today Haha. Oilers have more wins in the playoffs than flames have had since 04. Is this correct?
nm misunderstood.

Last edited by N-E-B; 05-10-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:18 PM   #5980
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Well if you include Edmonton's run to Game 7 of the Finals in 2006 and not Calgary's the season before, yeah.

Calgary
03/04: 4 wins vs Vancouver + 4 wins vs Detroit + 4 wins vs San Jose + 3 wins vs Tampa
05/06: 3 wins vs Anaheim
06/07: 2 wins vs Detroit
07/08: 3 wins vs San Jose
08/09: 2 wins vs Chicago
14/15: 4 wins vs Vancouver + 1 vs Anaheim
16/17: 0 wins
30 combined wins, 4 combined series wins.

Edmonton
03/04: missed playoffs
05/06: 4 wins vs Detroit + 4 wins vs San Jose + 4 wins vs Anaheim + 3 wins vs Carolina
16/17: 4 wins vs San Jose + 3 wins vs Anaheim
22 combined wins, 4 combined series wins.

If you start counting from 06/07 the totals are: 12 for Calgary, 7 for Edmonton.
Closed Thread