Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #5881
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
This has the second dumbest 'Canadian' thing next to faux nationalism over a coffee brand. If the BBC ran a news clip about how Man U fans should rally behind Liverpool because it's very disheartening people from London aren't cheering for a London team the station would be burned to the ground. Yet for some reason in this country we can't seem to figure out why people wouldn't cheer for a fataing rival.

I'm sure Boston cheers for Montreal in the playoffs when they're out because it's very disheartening that they'd cheer for a not from the East.

It' a league made up of cities, not countries. There's no national pride about it.
Except that is a completely inaccurate comparison.

It totally makes sense that diehard fans cheer for their team and their team only. It also makes total sense that some Canadians cheer for all Canadian teams, even if they have a favourite.

It is really no different than people who cheer for the Jays, who are without question Canada's team, the Raptors, TFC, Whitecaps or formerly the Grizz and the Expos.

There is without question a Canadian bias towards Canadian teams. Even though we aren't from Toronto or Montreal or Ottawa a large number of Canadians feel a connection to Canadian teams. The idea that it is some misplaced naive nationalism is laughable.

That being said, #### the Oilers. I would support Toronto, Montreal or Ottawa if they made it deep in the playoffs. Oilers and Canucks can go straight to hell. I understand why some people would cheer for none or some cheer for all, but it is asinine to suggest that anyone who does so is misguided or wrong. It's just a matter of choice. It's bizarre some people can't figure out why others would cheer for teams to which they have a connection.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #5882
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It is really no different than people who cheer for the Jays, the Raptors, TFC, Whitecaps or formerly the Grizz and the Expos. ..

but it is asinine to suggest that anyone who does so is misguided or wrong. It's just a matter of choice. It's bizarre you can't figure out why some people would cheer for teams to which they have a connection.
Speaking of completely inaccurate comparisons, considering Toronto has the only Canadian team in NBA and MLB, I wouldn't call that apt either.

I never once said I can't figure out why some people cheer for more than one team. You want to cheer for Edmonton fill your boots. I'm quite aware the team you cheer for is a choice.

What I can't figure out is how it's some big affront to your country to not cheer for a rival team.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #5883
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

wow, ricardo chiming into say that if the flames were still in the playoffs we'd all be cheering for them. what a wise man....
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #5884
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
This is a message board. We aren't a good example of regular fans. The hate here for other Canadian teams doesn't really reflect most Calgarians views.
Bull$hit it doesn't...
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #5885
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
I would appreciate you to provide a similar critical analysis of the Flames situation.

When do you think the Flame will get to the level the Oilers reached this season and playoffs and will they be able to maintain it.

I kind of feel that had the Flames beaten the Sharks in the first round and won 2 games against the Ducks (losing twice in OT) I and everyone else at CP would be fully on the Flames bandwagon.

Are the Flames expected to be heavy favorites to do better than the Oilers next season?

I am, and have been for 37 years now, fully on the Flames bandwagon already.

No idea what this entire post is supposed to even mean.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #5886
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Are the Flames expected to be heavy favorites to do better than the Oilers next season?
All depends on the goalie situation.

But hypothetically if you could clone Talbot and have him play for both the Oilers and Flames, I know which team I'd think would be closer to contention.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #5887
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Except that is a completely inaccurate comparison.

It totally makes sense that diehard fans cheer for their team and their team only. It also makes total sense that some Canadians cheer for all Canadian teams, even if they have a favourite.

It is really no different than people who cheer for the Jays, who are without question Canada's team, the Raptors, TFC, Whitecaps or formerly the Grizz and the Expos.

There is without question a Canadian bias towards Canadian teams. Even though we aren't from Toronto or Montreal or Ottawa a large number of Canadians feel a connection to Canadian teams. The idea that it is some misplaced naive nationalism is laughable.

That being said, #### the Oilers. I would support Toronto, Montreal or Ottawa if they made it deep in the playoffs. Oilers and Canucks can go straight to hell. I understand why some people would cheer for none or some cheer for all, but it is asinine to suggest that anyone who does so is misguided or wrong. It's just a matter of choice. It's bizarre some people can't figure out why others would cheer for teams to which they have a connection.

See I dont get where that makes any sense at all.

Every Canadian team has another Canadian team as their biggest rival....who in the world ever cheers for their rivals...ever? In any sport at any level?

I despise all other Canadian teams...period. Some more than others, but none of them would ever see me cheering for them just because they live North of an invisible line.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #5888
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Speaking of completely inaccurate comparisons, considering Toronto has the only Canadian team in NBA and MLB, I wouldn't call that apt either.

I never once said I can't figure out why some people cheer for more than one team. You want to cheer for Edmonton fill your boots. I'm quite aware the team you cheer for is a choice.

What I can't figure out is how it's some big affront to your country to not cheer for a rival team.
The Canadian team thing I'd argue, but that's for a different thread.

As for that one random guy considering it an afront, yeah he's as wrong as people who bash Canadian fandom as delusional faux nationalism or are intentionally obtuse and pretend they can't understand why people cheer for Canadian teams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
Bull$hit it doesn't...
well that really depends on whether "most" calgarians are flames fans. I'd say a lot are but most are probably fair weather fans and in my experience most fair weather fans cheer for all Canadian teams, with limited exceptions.

Edmonton is an interesting one because a lot of calgarians believe in the rivalry with Edmonton but not because of their loyalty to the Flames.

I'd venture to guess that a lot of people don't care at all about hockey or rivalries or who wins, but of all calgarian hockey fans I'd say more are probably fair weather and would be in favour or neutral towards the Oilers. With a minority of the hardcore flames fans cheering for their demise.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 05-06-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #5889
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
See I dont get where that makes any sense at all.

Every Canadian team has another Canadian team as their biggest rival....who in the world ever cheers for their rivals...ever? In any sport at any level?

I despise all other Canadian teams...period. Some more than others, but none of them would ever see me cheering for them just because they live North of an invisible line.
I'm not sure about that... Montreal is almost certainly Boston, and Winnipeg doesn't have another Canadian team in their division. I'm not sure what their biggest rival would be. Minnesota?
Old 05-06-2017, 02:58 PM   #5890
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
and pretend they can't understand why people cheer for Canadian teams.
Again, I understand why people cheer for Canadian teams. I don't understand why it seems absurd to not cheer for a rival. Especially in a thread titled E=NG.

And it's not one person, it's countless articles on Sportsnet, CBC, and other outlets pumping the idea and wondering when Calgary fans will get on the McDavid wagon.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:59 PM   #5891
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
I'm not sure about that... Montreal is almost certainly Boston
Montreal and Toronto still have a pretty good rivalry, no?
Old 05-06-2017, 02:59 PM   #5892
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Three quarters of these posts are hard to read. Wow CP
Old 05-06-2017, 03:02 PM   #5893
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure about that... Montreal is almost certainly Boston, and Winnipeg doesn't have another Canadian team in their division. I'm not sure what their biggest rival would be. Minnesota?
Yeah, it's funny when you go to Quebec City and see how many Boston Bruin fans there are in that City. If you go the bar, they typically show Bruins games and you see a lot of Bruins jerseys around town. Even in Quebec City, they still root against Montreal.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #5894
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Montreal and Boston is a big one fore sure but there is no other team the Canadiens would love to eliminate more than the Leafs IMO. And vice versa of course. Also Montreal/QC was a nasty one back in the day. Everyone hates the Habs i guess.

Winnipeg is a bit different for sure but when the first iteration of the Jets existed they were bitter rivals with all of the Flames, Canucks and the Oilers. Maybe I am mis-remembering but it seemed to me they abbhored the Flames more than most.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #5895
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

When do you think the Flame will get to the level the Oilers reached this season and playoffs and will they be able to maintain it.
edmonton has won one more game then cgy did to years ago in the playoffs.

what level did the oilers reach that the flames didn't then?
Old 05-06-2017, 03:18 PM   #5896
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Yeah, it's funny when you go to Quebec City and see how many Boston Bruin fans there are in that City. If you go the bar, they typically show Bruins games and you see a lot of Bruins jerseys around town. Even in Quebec City, they still root against Montreal.
Right. Just like Calgary vs Edmonton, only worse. The Habs vs Nords rivalry was awesome, and nasty.
Then QC loses their team, and they win the Cup the next year. You bet they will never cheer for Montreal.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #5897
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I normally hate the "no true Flames fan" arguments, but I firmly believe that no true Flames fan would ever in a million years cheer for the Edmonton Oilers under any circumstances*.

It's a great way to separate who truly cares about this team and who's just along for the ride.

There is no argument to convince me otherwise. All arguments supporting cheering for the Oilers make no sense to true Flames fans. If you're cheering for the Oilers, I'm sorry, you're not a true Flames fan at heart. You might like the team, but you're not a true fan. Plain and simple. This is one issue that is black and white for me.

Screw the Oilers.

*In the playoffs there are no exceptions, the only exception for regular season being a scenario like in 2015 where the Oilers defeating the Kings greatly benefited the Flames in their playoff push.

Last edited by N-E-B; 05-06-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #5898
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Canuck-Hater For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #5899
steveo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is how I answered my flames survey from a few weeks back haha
Spoiler!

Whoops too big
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to steveo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #5900
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I am, and have been for 37 years now, fully on the Flames bandwagon already.

No idea what this entire post is supposed to even mean.
Yup, up here in the shotgun seat beside Harvey.
Closed Thread