Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2024, 11:07 AM   #1021
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Saros is a UFA after next season, and Askarov is their goalie of the future. He's been playing well when given a chance.

They can trade Saros for a great return, because he can now sign an extension with the team acquiring him. He's still young enough to warrant a long term deal. He's 6 years younger than Marky, and therefore a better long term answer for many teams.

As usual, Nashville can use help up front.
Predators are in a similar situation as the Flames but they have been more proactive jettisoning players and acquiring draft picks yet have managed to ice a better team at the same time. They are doing what the Flames are attempting to do (retool while competing) but doing a much better job at it. That said I don't think what either organization is doing will build a cup contender but some organizations are always going to go against the grain and do things contrary to how most cup winners have been built.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-22-2024 at 11:10 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 11:26 AM   #1022
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s hard to say if Markstrom would get more or less than what they were offered at deadline. There are a bunch of factors that go into it. If we are talking about the big 3 ( Markstrom , saros, and ulmark) they each have different contracts.

Saros and ulmark have one year left . Markstrom has 2. Have to think the 2nd year of Markstrom helps . Saros and ulmark will want a big time extension coming within the year.

Saros has no trade protection. Ulmark has limited amount of teams he could be traded to. Markstrom has full nmc. Make no mistake Markstrom controls everything when it comes to being dealt. He’s not going to agree to a trade to just any team because the return is better for flames. I said before we better hope his list is more than 1 team. Imagine if he wants to go to Toronto? No picks and horrid prospects
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 11:32 AM   #1023
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
It’s hard to say if Markstrom would get more or less than what they were offered at deadline. There are a bunch of factors that go into it. If we are talking about the big 3 ( Markstrom , saros, and ulmark) they each have different contracts.

Saros and ulmark have one year left . Markstrom has 2. Have to think the 2nd year of Markstrom helps . Saros and ulmark will want a big time extension coming within the year.

Saros has no trade protection. Ulmark has limited amount of teams he could be traded to. Markstrom has full nmc. Make no mistake Markstrom controls everything when it comes to being dealt. He’s not going to agree to a trade to just any team because the return is better for flames. I said before we better hope his list is more than 1 team. Imagine if he wants to go to Toronto? No picks and horrid prospects
No one who is not from Toronto like Gio has "just Toronto" on their list. Can you imagine?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 11:33 AM   #1024
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Predators are in a similar situation as the Flames but they have been more proactive jettisoning players and acquiring draft picks yet have managed to ice a better team at the same time. They are doing what the Flames are attempting to do (retool while competing) but doing a much better job at it. That said I don't think what either organization is doing will build a cup contender but some organizations are always going to go against the grain and do things contrary to how most cup winners have been built.
One thing about the Predators is that they always seem to have an elite 1D even if they aren't drafting top 5
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 11:40 AM   #1025
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I expect the fact saros has one year left actually increases his value, as he's young enough to warrant an extension. You might well be trading for 1+6 years of Saros.

With Ullmark, he's 2 years older than Saros, but would still be eligible for a 1 plus extension of some sort.

With Marky, it's likely two years and done. Plus he has complete control where he goes. But Saros and Ullmark control the extension aspect, soforo any team wanting an extension, they have complete control.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 11:44 AM   #1026
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I expect the fact saros has one year left actually increases his value, as he's young enough to warrant an extension. You might well be trading for 1+6 years of Saros.

With Ullmark, he's 2 years older than Saros, but would still be eligible for a 1 plus extension of some sort.

With Marky, it's likely two years and done. Plus he has complete control where he goes. But Saros and Ullmark control the extension aspect, soforo any team wanting an extension, they have complete control.
Saros wants 8x$8M
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 11:50 AM   #1027
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I’m actually not sure I buy they are playoffs or bust next year especially if they trade Markstrom which it sounds like is happening. The Flames basically need to make playoffs or get a bottom ten pick next season and they aren’t making the playoffs with a bottom 5 defense group and middling forward group.
If you listen to Conroy he never says its making the playoffs.
Its always about being competitive.
Its about the team and players believing that they can win and should win.
Its about setting a culture where losing is not expected without putting goalposts up for those outside to evaluate the team.
Build a competitive organization and the players are going to want to win and make the playoffs, but it does not have to be a stated goal.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:00 PM   #1028
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Saros wants 8x$8M
That may well be problematic. I know goaltenders can last a long time, but that's a contract many teams would not want.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 12:05 PM   #1029
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Saros wants 8x$8M
Ullmark is going to want long term as well, at at least $6M, probably more.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 12:12 PM   #1030
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Aren't the best UFAs the players that the Flames sold that don't wanna be here?
Most of them wanted to stay on the retirement contract
Old 03-22-2024, 12:30 PM   #1031
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
That may well be problematic. I know goaltenders can last a long time, but that's a contract many teams would not want.
Always a sucker out there that will pay.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 01:00 PM   #1032
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
When did Hanifin say it? Gaudreau? Tkachuk? Lindholm? Tanev? Markstrom?

It's better to get ahead of those things and get value while a player is still signed to a great deal, that won't factor into your contention window.
You just solidified my point. You just used a bunch of players that were vocal about wanting to move on vs the guy that was vocal about those players should be moved on because we want guys who want to be Calgary Flames like himself. I don't think Andersson is going anywhere, he has future Captain written all over him. I definitely would not say he is not going to be here after 2 more years because i don't have that information nor does anyone else.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 01:04 PM   #1033
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
No, but definitely will be used by their anti-goalie analytics crew to not spend on a goalie.
You think their pro scouts don't know Allen is a streaky goalie who is best suited as a backup? If they are serious about competing for a SC they are not going to roll with Jake Allen as their #1 guy going forward.
Old 03-22-2024, 01:07 PM   #1034
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
We just started, so let’s not get ahead of ourselves with a comparison.

Also, before their rebuild their GM did not saddle the Preds with two historically bad contracts.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 01:13 PM   #1035
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Saros is a UFA after next season, and Askarov is their goalie of the future. He's been playing well when given a chance.

They can trade Saros for a great return, because he can now sign an extension with the team acquiring him. He's still young enough to warrant a long term deal. He's 6 years younger than Marky, and therefore a better long term answer for many teams.

As usual, Nashville can use help up front.
Here is the thing, I think there is wiggle room in the offseason for a team to acquire Markstrom at a reasonable return. Conroy set a high price for NJ to acquire him early enough for them to possibly run at the playoffs and the Flames to throw in the towel basically when at the time they were like only 4 points out. so I believe the Devils can probably get Markstrom more akin to what they were offering which I still believe was Holtz and a 2025 1st (protected). They might even be able to get him for Holtz and a 2nd, I have no idea. The other two are not the same situation, if NJ wants Saros it starts with Dawson Mercer and I don't see that changing come the offseason given Saros pedigree and age. same with Ullmark, he is a season removed from a Vezina trophy, it is going to start with Mercer there too. So if NJ is insistent still that Mercer is a no go they are not getting Saros nor Ullmark imo.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2024, 01:16 PM   #1036
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This club is such a desperate ####, i'm so sick of it.

Listening to Steinberg yesterday and what Serevalli has said, we're now going to be in the process of convincing Markstrom to stay by proving to him we can stay relevant by adding UFA's.

Signing some middling UFA's to have warm bodies is fine, but if what Pat says is accurate not a fan of the direction I'm hearing.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 01:16 PM   #1037
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Toronto has multiple 1sts available and the hottest prospect in the OHL.
Old 03-22-2024, 01:21 PM   #1038
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post

Listening to Steinberg yesterday and what Serevalli has said, we're now going to be in the process of convincing Markstrom to stay by proving to him we can stay relevant by adding UFA's.
How did you jump to that conclusion...

I feel like what Conroy said with Seravalli was the opposite of that.

He specifically said they want to get younger and let young guys play.

And pretty much said they aren't going to be a player in the top end of free agency but would be okay with adding veterans on short term deals if the cost and term is right.

Quote:
“If there’s the right length of a contract, if there’s a need that we have, we’ll do that. It’s hard to find certain players,” Conroy said. “Maybe to add a veteran or two would be something nice. We have a good mix. We’re trying to let the young guys play, and that’s still the priority, but if we can find help for two or three years, that’s what we’d be looking for because it’s hard to make trades for certain players and we still want to be competitive.”
I don't think there is going to be some big push to try to "convince" Markstrom to stay...he wasn't the one that was asking to leave...the Flames were only ever making the trade if the value was right.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 01:23 PM   #1039
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
How did you jump to that conclusion...

I feel like what Conroy said with Seravalli was the opposite of that.

He specifically said they want to get younger and let young guys play.

And pretty much said they aren't going to be a player in the top end of free agency but would be okay with adding veterans on short term deals if the cost and term is right.

I don't think there is going to be some big push to try to "convince" Markstrom to stay...he wasn't the one that was asking to leave...the Flames were only ever making the trade if the value was right.
"Conroy has stressed he wants the Flames to be competitive. More than anything, Markstrom wants a chance to be competitive. Is there a way to do that in Calgary on this contract?"

"Conroy said he intends to lay out the plan for Markstrom, including his intentions for free agency. It sounds like if Markstrom prefers to move on, the Flames will oblige, as Conroy said he wants players who want to be in Calgary.

“We need to sit down and talk,” Conroy said. “I need to see where Marky’s head is at – if I can add something [in free agency], see what he is thinking. We just need to sit down and have a conversation after the season. Right now I just want him to play and focus, he’s been banged up a little bit, and hopefully he is back soon.”"

Steinberg also reiterated this on flames talk yesterday.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 01:24 PM   #1040
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post

Signing some middling UFA's to have warm bodies is fine, but if what Pat says is accurate not a fan of the direction I'm hearing.
Having a good Friday afternoon?

A few months ago people were swearing that the Flames would never sell the UFAs if they were close to a playoff spot. Also many were outraged that the Flames would never in a million years retain salary. Let's see what happens before being outraged.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good