Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2017, 01:38 PM   #21
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
A few years ago, I left a couple winning Roll Up The Rim's on my desk under my computer monitor and one of the cleaning staff (I think) jacked them overnight.

I no longer leave them out in the open.
Do you think they stole them or just cleaned up the garbage like they usually do?

As for the OP I think she's out of luck. If someone's tools are stolen on the job site the tool owner will have to replace them. So as long as it wasn't the schools iPad I think it's on her.

Is the school helping her track down who did it? If it's a student at some point information will leak out who did it

Last edited by GGG; 07-25-2017 at 01:41 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #22
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that unfortunately it is on her to replace it, however if it is a required teaching tool, then the school should be covering the cost to have one in the classroom, so as a contractor, she should expense that replacement.

Who owns the device after that is up to whatever agreement that she has, or gets, when it is replaced.My guess is the school will insist upon owning it at that point.

edit: It may be in her contract that she needs to provide these required teaching tools herself, in which case her contract should have allowances in terms of how she gets compensated for these tools. For example, at an old employer, I was not required to have a smart phone, but if I got a personal smart phone that would let me do my job better, they would allow me to expense $40 of the monthly bill.

Last edited by Rathji; 07-25-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:45 PM   #23
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crime of passion. Ex-lover probably wanting info on her current situation. Tell her to call up the ex and return it.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:50 PM   #24
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The only way to get to the bottom of this:

Ipads with tasers attached.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #25
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
The fact that she's a contractor might make the situation different, no? If someone came in to our office to fix our lights and someone stole his ladder, wouldn't the onus be on the company to cover that loss rather than "well, you shouldn't have left it out in the open"?
If your office has hundreds of kids running around then yes it's comparable...

A contractor getting his ladder stolen is his own fault and I say this as a contractor. We take risks all the time with leaving our tools in places we know has a chance of it being stolen. If I leave my tools over night, that's because I don't want to go through the hassle of taking them with me and bringing them back the next day to a job I'm going back to. I assumed that risk. If I leave my ladder in your office because I'm working in the next office over, I also assume that risk, even though It's a very small risk you still think about it when leaving tools anywhere.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:07 PM   #26
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Crime of passion. Ex-lover probably wanting info on her current situation. Tell her to call up the ex and return it.
Not her again.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:23 PM   #27
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Four years as a contractor? If she is full time, I am not sure, but that seems sketchy.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:51 PM   #28
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me, I'd ask the question of, "is it reasonable to assume in a classroom, if things are left out, will they potentially get stolen?" The answer in my mind is yes given the age demographic. Considering that, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's negligence on your girlfriends' part, but it's simply a learning experience that you can't trust students. I think after getting to know them for awhile you'd build that trust, but there's always that kid who would think it's fun and do it because it's available. She let her guard down which any one of us reasonably would. Gotta learn from it.

Given that it's a student though, you know they'd f-up at some point. Likely someone seen what happened, or someone will talk. Get the Principal involved as well make the students feel guilty and someone will spill the beans.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:50 AM   #29
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelow View Post
This school has multiple teachers bringing in thousands of dollars worth of equipment every day. If a guitar teacher goes to take a leak and his $5000 Marshall guitar is gone from his classroom when he returns is that situation viewed any differently than an $800 iPad?

IMO the school has an obligation to provide locking classroom doors and/or cameras that monitor all hallways leading to the classrooms. It is not reasonable to expect teachers to pack all of their gear with them every time they leave the room.
Marshall makes amps.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 02:18 AM   #30
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sometimes the worst thing about workplace theft is not the theft, but the suspicion, trust issues and weird assumptions that come out of it. You deduce it could be a workmate, students and ultimately you just really don't know.

Crime always goes a) you made an opportunity b) nobody around c) awareness d) thief takes advantage of a, b, c

I've seen so many false accusations of theft that have cost a lot more then what was stolen in monetary and personal terms. It's never a good thing, but at the end of the day that Ipad will be obsolete in 6 more weeks and the thief really needed it.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #31
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post

I've seen so many false accusations of theft that have cost a lot more then what was stolen in monetary and personal terms. It's never a good thing, but at the end of the day that Ipad will be obsolete in 6 more weeks and the thief really needed it.
are you serious? you should dismiss the theft because the ipad will eventually be obsolete and the thief "really needed it?"

that's a steaming pile.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 08:11 AM   #32
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was probably some ####ty kid
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #33
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was very likely a student. She should try to use it as a teaching moment, for bother herself and her students.

Explain what happened to the class. Explain that she paid for it herself and uses it to do better work as a teacher. There is nothing more violating than someone stealing something of yours. It's not about property, nor the replacement cost. But it's a terrible feeling to be harmed like that by another person. That person will need to live with a guilty conscience for the rest of their lives.

Everyone makes mistakes. This is an opportunity to correct a mistake. This is an opportunity to learn from poor actions, and become better people by making better actions. If whoever took the iPad is in this room, or knows who did it, they can simply put it back in my desk drawer. Or give it to a friend to give to me. Or, if they feel especially brave, you can bring it back to me in person, and apologize.

I will not be angry. You will not be in trouble. I will not ask questions. I will respect you for admitting your error and trying to make it right. We will move on. I will learn to be more careful about securing my belongings (even though I shouldn't have to), and you will learn that doing the right thing feels a lot better than carrying around a piece of guilt forever.

Was the iPad password protected?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #34
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I enjoy stealing.
It's just as simple as that.
Well, it's just a simple fact.
When I want something,
I don't want to pay for it.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:39 PM   #35
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Marshall makes amps.
Oops I meant Martin. Huge guitar screw up there.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:42 PM   #36
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
It was very likely a student. She should try to use it as a teaching moment, for bother herself and her students.

Explain what happened to the class. Explain that she paid for it herself and uses it to do better work as a teacher. There is nothing more violating than someone stealing something of yours. It's not about property, nor the replacement cost. But it's a terrible feeling to be harmed like that by another person. That person will need to live with a guilty conscience for the rest of their lives.

Everyone makes mistakes. This is an opportunity to correct a mistake. This is an opportunity to learn from poor actions, and become better people by making better actions. If whoever took the iPad is in this room, or knows who did it, they can simply put it back in my desk drawer. Or give it to a friend to give to me. Or, if they feel especially brave, you can bring it back to me in person, and apologize.

I will not be angry. You will not be in trouble. I will not ask questions. I will respect you for admitting your error and trying to make it right. We will move on. I will learn to be more careful about securing my belongings (even though I shouldn't have to), and you will learn that doing the right thing feels a lot better than carrying around a piece of guilt forever.

I should have clarified. This isn't a school in a traditional sense. It's a private business that offers one on one lessons. There isn't a classroom full of kids, so unfortunately whoever took it was opportunistic enough to wait until she left the room for 2 minutes and steal it from an empty studio. That definitely hurts the chances of somebody knowing something.

The iPad is password protected, but she's actually not sure if it was locked or not. It was in use the previous lesson. Hopefully the auto lock was on.

Is it difficult to remove iCloud from a pw protected device? What are the thief's options if it was locked?
Old 07-31-2017, 11:18 AM   #37
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

If it was iTunes locked, the only way they could use it would be to install a custom OS on it, or use it for parts. We run into this at work where a manager takes an iPhone from somebody who is leaving, and it is locked to their iTunes account. (If find my iPad is enabled, it's iTunes locked.) Our only recourse is to submit the original receipt to Apple and wait 2 weeks for them to unlock it on their end.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #38
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
If it was iTunes locked, the only way they could use it would be to install a custom OS on it, or use it for parts. We run into this at work where a manager takes an iPhone from somebody who is leaving, and it is locked to their iTunes account. (If find my iPad is enabled, it's iTunes locked.) Our only recourse is to submit the original receipt to Apple and wait 2 weeks for them to unlock it on their end.
Can add DEP w/MDM, to sandbox and allow easy asset recovery.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #39
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Marshall makes amps.
...and beer fridges.

rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #40
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

You'd have been eaten alive at my high school.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote