Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2015, 02:43 PM   #281
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
My sister is a prison guard and I hear stories all the time. I am pretty sure that most take their job duties seriously and would prevent any attacks when they can.

I have a friend in BC that is a guard as well and he told me once that they catch prison rapes all the time. They don't let them happen, but he made it sound like there isn't much they can do given staffing.
I have a few good friends and ex co-workers that are guards as well. It depends on the individual but they cannot control everything at all times. Just look at that case in Ottawa where the guy accused of a terrorist plot got beaten bad by two guys and you can see in the video there's not much the guards can do until it's pretty much over.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ting-1.3223378

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...says-1.3223262

Quote:
A jailhouse video released in court shows the beating of Carlos Larmond, one of the Ottawa twins facing terrorism-related charges, after Larmond allegedly tried to convert another inmate to Islam.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #282
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, those guards looked pretty impotent. Kind of depressing that that level of anarchy is tolerated in prison.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #283
something
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Man, those guards looked pretty impotent. Kind of depressing that that level of anarchy is tolerated in prison.
It is not the kind of thing you just walk into, unless you are Batman.

I would say it is far from tolerated. Besides immediate consequences, such as up to two weeks spent in solitary confinement, it will serve as aggravating circumstances to whatever those rowdy fellas are being held in there for. On top of that, you are looking at aggravated assault charges, at a minimum for one. They won't be high-fiving and chest bumping when they see there original sentence jump 30 percent.

You can't control every aspect of these places, and I have my quarrel with how they are operated, but to say that these men and women are impotent is pretty darn ignorant. As a superficial assessment, I can appreciate the lack of understanding... But yeah, lots to worry about in a situation like that beyond just running in and pulling guys apart.
something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #284
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

BREAKING: Derek Saretzky sentenced to life in imprison with no chance of parole for 75 years- equaling the longest sentence in Canadian history.

Just saw this on FB but haven't found an updated link to the story yet.

Edit: found the updated story (scroll down for update at that link)

Quote:
An Alberta man who butchered a father, his two-year-old daughter and a woman has been sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 75 years.

Derek Saretzky was convicted of three counts of first-degree murder in June for the deaths of Terry Blanchette, his daughter Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette and 69-year-old Hanne Meketech in September 2015.

A conviction of first-degree murder carries an automatic life sentence with no chance of parole for 25 years. Justice William Tilleman was asked by the Crown to make the periods of parole ineligibility consecutive meaning Saretzky couldn’t apply for freedom for 75 years.

Tilleman agreed with the request noting that means the 24-year-old will spend the rest of his life in jail.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #285
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good. Nice to see a sentence that fits the crime in Canada.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #286
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a devastating tragedy.

Life in prison is the only option here.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #287
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Good. Nice to see a sentence that fits the crime in Canada.
Between this sentence and Garland's, it sure is nice to see prosecutors and judges exercising the full extent of the law and giving these maximum concurrent sentences. #### rehab and rehabilitation for this guy, or anyone else who murders. Lock him up and throw away the key.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post: