Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #41
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
He's being sarcastic/facetious.

I don't think we should be shaming smokers either. I thinking shaming people will either piss them off or hurt them. We have one thread here where we say "oh those horrible kids... bullying people". And then we have threads where we say "hey, those people should be bullied". There are much better ways to promote change than ridicule. Like I said before, it was the bullying in high school regarding my weight that lead me to near suicide. Making people feel really small is not a solution.... Unless the goal is to hurt people. Then kudos.
I agree with you that fat shaming is not an acceptable approach to curb obesity. Bullying people and shaming people for being fat is the equivalent to shaming people who have pimples. Some of them may not take care of their skin, and some of them may try everything to take care of their skin. Obese people come in all varieties, the ones who do everything they can to shed pounds & live healthy lifestyles and the ones who eat fast food everyday then go home and play xbox. We can't lump them all into one category. The fact that obesity is sometimes a physiological problem makes things even more complicated.

However, when people look at a photo of a woman in great shape with her three kids & a slogan that says 'What's Your Excuse' and see that as fat shaming...it gets a little ridiculous. That is not fat shaming. That's inspiration to go get fit. If you look at it as fat shaming it's because you're refusing to see the message in a positive way as it was intended, and instead twisting it around to be something negative. Coddling the group of people that may be offended by a message does no one any favors, and it's annoying.

For the record, I went home last night and did 30 minutes of really easy yoga, because she inspired me to. No joke.

/thread derailment from me.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #42
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
This is a massive over reaction
Is it really?

There are already over 10 times the sustainable amount of humans for this planet. And we have poisoned every single corner of it. We have wiped countless species out for 'magical' get big dick pills for the Chinese, and are destroying our Oceans with pollution and by wiping out apex predators so someone can impress their neighbours with a bowl of garbage soup with some sort of narcissistic 'look at me and what I can afford' gesture.

It is a fact that this planet would be better off without humanity. By any definition we are a plague or a cancer to this planet. Nothing good has come from humanity for anyone else besides humans. And as much as some stupid religious Zealots may think, it was never designed as humanities playground. Like everyone else I drive cars, and probably don't recycle enough, etc.... I am as guilty as anyone, but humanity deserves to be wiped out with how brutally we have abused this incredible planet.

The sooner the human race dies off, the better. If you consider the big picture.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #43
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
It is stories like that that make me wish there was a global plague that would simply wipe out all of humanity like the parasites we are. Sure there are good people, but there are enough bad ones, that this planet would be so much better of without the human race.

Humanity has done nothing but ruin everything on this precious planet, and we don't deserve to be here anymore.
If Hollywood has taught me anything,

Who will be here to defend Earth when the Aliens come to drain it of all it's resources?

Pylon, being serious here after reading your second post, I think you should step away from this thread

Last edited by return to the red; 10-17-2013 at 02:10 PM.
return to the red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #44
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it really?

There are already over 10 times the sustainable amount of humans for this planet. And we have poisoned every single corner of it. We have wiped countless species out for 'magical' get big dick pills for the Chinese, and are destroying our Oceans with pollution and by wiping out apex predators so someone can impress their neighbours with a bowl of garbage soup with some sort of narcissistic 'look at me and what I can afford' gesture.

It is a fact that this planet would be better off without humanity. By any definition we are a plague or a cancer to this planet. Nothing good has come from humanity for anyone else besides humans. And as much as some stupid religious Zealots may think, it was never designed as humanities playground. Like everyone else I drive cars, and probably don't recycle enough, etc.... I am as guilty as anyone, but humanity deserves to be wiped out with how brutally we have abused this incredible planet.

The sooner the human race dies off, the better. If you consider the big picture.
So are you going to be killing yourself tonight? Think Globally Act Locally.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #45
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
So are you going to be killing yourself tonight? Think Globally Act Locally.
Maybe I should.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #46
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe I should.

...push away from the keyboard.

I was not being serious, much like I hope youa re not being serious.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #47
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
...push away from the keyboard.

I was not being serious, much like I hope youa re not being serious.
Maybe you should think things through a little before you make such a dumb statement. You've been around here long enough to know what I am talking about.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #48
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe you should think things through a little before you make such a dumb statement. You've been around here long enough to know what I am talking about.

My statement was made in jest.

If it offended you or had you actually think of killing yourself I am sorry.

That being said it is a bit over the top you saying humanity is a plague on the planet and should be "wiped out". Often one dumb statement will ellict another dumb statement.
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #49
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
My statement was made in jest.

If it offended you or had you actually think of killing yourself I am sorry.

That being said it is a bit over the top you saying humanity is a plague on the planet and should be "wiped out". Often one dumb statement will ellict another dumb statement.
If you break everything down to the bare facts, the elimination of humanity would be better for the planet. That is a fact, not a ridiculous statement. It may not be better for humanity, but the planet as a whole, would thrive.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #50
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you break everything down to the bare facts, the elimination of humanity would be better for the planet. That is a fact, not a ridiculous statement. It may not be better for humanity, but the planet as a whole, would thrive.
Yeah, I'd love to see giraffes stop a meteor from hitting the earth and killing all life as we know it

Humans kickass!
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #51
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Then I ask, in all seriousness, if you feel like that how do you reconcile your continued existance. No this is not a call to kill yourself, it is an honest question. Clearly you have thought about this issue.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #52
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Yeah, I'd love to see giraffes stop a meteor hitting the earth and killing all life as we know it

Humans kickass!
Because of all those Meteors and comets we have staved off over the last 100 years. What would we do if it were not for Bruce Willis and Robert Duvall?!!
Old 10-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #53
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Then I ask, in all seriousness, if you feel like that how do you reconcile your continued existance. No this is not a call to kill yourself, it is an honest question. Clearly you have thought about this issue.
It is not an issue of wanting to die. It is not an issue of not enjoying life. It is looking at the facts, and feeling embarrassed, that I am part of the problem. Just because my existence in the big picture, is insignificant, and damaging, doesn't mean I want to go stick a shotgun under my chin. But no scientist, on the face of this earth, would claim humanity is beneficial to the ecology of this planet. Anything good we are doing, is to correct massive damage we caused in the past.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #54
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is not an issue of wanting to die. It is not an issue of not enjoying life. It is looking at the facts, and feeling embarrassed, that I am part of the problem. Just because my existence in the big picture, is insignificant, and damaging, doesn't mean I want to go stick a shotgun under my chin. But no scientist, on the face of this earth, would claim humanity is beneficial to the ecology of this planet. Anything good we are doing, is to correct massive damage we caused in the past.
Is that true, do you truely not enjoy life? If so I am sorry to hear that. Life is ####ing spectacular, spend some time seeing death, to change you position.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #55
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
One of my closest friends has recently started dating a girl who has convinced him that bull#### like Reiki, Healing Touch, Power Crystals, and the like are legitimate things.

He won't stop talking about them, and every time I have an opposing viewpoint (being a pretty heavy skeptic) I feel like a total ass for bringing in "negative energies".

You just can't ####ing win and it's leaving me exhausted in frustration and genuine concern.
unfriend him, I would, it's not like there isn't more people around to be friends with, ask Pylon.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #56
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you are looking at the earth wrong. All living systems will use all resources they can to reproduce until they reach equilibrium that there birth and death rate equal out or they go extinct. We are just another living system on the Earth abusing it until it kills us.

The fact that we even think about the consequences of our actions puts up a step above everyother living spieces on this earth, plant or animal. The mere fact that you can observe and make the smallest amount of change makes you better then the weeds and other animals. The thing to remember is that we are not special, we are no different from other animals or plants on this earth. Our only purpose is to produce genetic material that is passed on.

So the Earth would not be better off without us, because the earth doesn't have feelings, it just is. Other species might be better off without us but I bet a lot of fish would feel that they would be better off without sharks. And just because other speices would be better off without us doesn't take away our right and dare I say our duty to survive as a species.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #57
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think you are looking at the earth wrong. All living systems will use all resources they can to reproduce until they reach equilibrium that there birth and death rate equal out or they go extinct. We are just another living system on the Earth abusing it until it kills us.

The fact that we even think about the consequences of our actions puts up a step above everyother living spieces on this earth, plant or animal. The mere fact that you can observe and make the smallest amount of change makes you better then the weeds and other animals. The thing to remember is that we are not special, we are no different from other animals or plants on this earth. Our only purpose is to produce genetic material that is passed on.

So the Earth would not be better off without us, because the earth doesn't have feelings, it just is. Other species might be better off without us but I bet a lot of fish would feel that they would be better off without sharks. And just because other speices would be better off without us doesn't take away our right and dare I say our duty to survive as a species.
deep
Old 10-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #58
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
/thread derailment from me.
As per the other thread, I disagree completely, but that is for the other thread. Here I was discussing "the use of the term "fat shaming"" which we seem to be on the same page on.

As for what Pylon is saying, I think this is what he is getting at:
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Devils'Advocate For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #59
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's a pretty weird statement from Salk. The more accurate comparison would be whether every, say, Hawaiian Fruit Fly were to disappear from Earth what would happen? How do you compare the effect of removing an entire class of creature, encompassing millions of species, from the Earth... with the removal of one species? Even if you removed every mammal instead of just human beings, it still wouldn't be on par.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #60
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
As per the other thread, I disagree completely, but that is for the other thread. Here I was discussing "the use of the term "fat shaming"" which we seem to be on the same page on.

As for what Pylon is saying, I think this is what he is getting at:
Cows, Corn, Chickens as well as a glut of bacteria, parisites that depend on humans for existance would cease to exist. Not to mention that any species that would face extinction would not be protected in the slightest.

This idea that humans are separate from nature is pure arrogence.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote