Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:
wranglers The Heat Torch Charlotte - A Two Game Evaluation of Abbotsford

This can probably go in the Heat discussion thread, but here is my evaluation of the Heat following the two-game sweep of the Charlotte Checkers that clinched a spot in the playoffs.

Game 1 (Saturday):
Line-up:
Desbiens-Laing-Rheault
Horak-Walter-Nemisz
Kolanos-Byron-Sylvester
Estoclet-Bancks-Eddy

Breen-Wilson
Piskula-Connelly
Testwuide-Tuzzolino

Taylor
Backed up by Glover

This was a great road game by the Heat. They overcame a weak first period, took everything the Checkers could throw at them and came out for the 2nd period like a different team. Once the Heat took the lead in the third, they shut it down for the win.

Game 2 (Sunday):
Line-up:
Jessiman-Laing-Rheault
Horak-Walter-Nemisz
Kolanos-Byron-Sylvester
Leblond-Bancks-Estoclet

Breen-Wilson
Piskula-Connelly
Testwuide-Tuzzolino

Taylor
Backed up by Glover

The score really tells the tale on this one. The Heat dominated every aspect of this game. After the fourth goal the whole arena was wondering how many could the Heat get. The line of Kolanos-Byron-Sylvester toyed with Charlotte defenders and abused Murphy and Peters in net. It was tough to evaluate the team in the third period as the Kolanos line sat and the fourth line got PP time aplenty.

Special Teams:
PK:
Bancks-Nemisz
Laing-Rheault

Testwuide-Piskula
Breen-Tuzzolini

PP:
Kolanos-Byron-Sylvester
Jessiman(G2)/Horak(G1)-Walter-Horak(G2)/Nemisz(G1)

Wilson-Kolanos**
Breen-Connelly

**When Kolanos was at the point, they would have one guy on the point with Kolanos at the half boards, Byron/Sylvester at the other half boards and then a big body (Nemisz/Jessiman) or Rheault in the middle to screen or in the slot in the middle of the PK box.

Comments on Individual Players:
Kolanos: Obviously dominated the weekend. He is simply a different class of player compared to most in the AHL. He scored at will and set up his linemates for easy finishes. His tendancy to float and limited desire to work in his own zone may be the only deficiency in his game.

Byron: Also really looked good in both games. Uses his speed well and willing to instigate/take contact to make the play. He could be on the big club roster next year or be the first call up.

Sylvester: Yes, he's small. Smaller than Byron (an inch or two on skates). Plays big though. More physical than I expected, but with all the flash of a highly skilled player. Not sure if he ever makes the big club, but he could very well end up a AAAA player (Almost too good to play at the AHL level, but just not good enough to play in the NHL). He reminds me of Darren Haydar who routinely killed the Knights/QC Flames.

Nemisz: I was impressed with his play all weekend. His skating is better than I thought watching in person compared to his games with Calgary. He will never be the fastest or best skater on the Flames, but his skating is sufficient for the NHL. He played in all scenarios and played well. Doesn't dominate every shift, but does show glimpses throughout. Some shifts he shows of his excellent hands, other shifts he uses his size to get to the net. If he can consistently use his tools he's a top six player, if he remains inconsistent he will be a Moss clone with better hands.

Horak: Was a little disappointed with him this weekend. I was hoping he would be more dominant based on his solid play for the Flames. He did play well both games although he was on the wing vs center with Calgary. Charlotte looked to really take the body to him, which may have had him looking over his shoulder.

Bancks: Great bottom six player both games. He worked harder than any player on either team in both games. I could see him getting a cup of coffee next year to see if he can sink or swim. If not, he's the future captain of the Heat and will be a tremendous leader for the team for years to come.

Eddy: Didn't get a lot of time on the ice during Saturday's game but didn't look too out of place. His skating looked good and he battled but he has some adjustments to make to earn a spot at the AHL level. He was tentative and turned the puck over, but that is to be expected playing in just his third AHL game.

Last edited by Tilley; 04-09-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Tilley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Tilley For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
Tilley

Exp:

Defense: As a group I can see why the play-by-play guy doesn't mention them much. For the most part they keep it very simple. Off the glass and out. Find the forward to exit the defensive zone. Only Connelly or Wilson displayed any offensive skills. I don't see any of these guys playing at the NHL level more than for a cup of coffee. Testwuide and Tuzzolino are ECHL dmen and look to be replaced by Lamb, Martin, and Leach next year.

Taylor looked good for the most part although he looked to have difficulty tracking the puck in traffic. It seemed like he relied on positioning and have the puck hit him rather than seeing the play and making the save. He's a good goaltender at the AHL level and a real find. He's a solid back up for next year and depending on where Irving and Karlsson land next year, he could be a stop-gap for a year or two as the organization develops depth at goal.

If anyone has any questions related to this weekend's games or questions about specific players I will do my best to answer them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tilley For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Tilley, great writeup. I agree with everything you've said here (you say it in a much clearer way than I do though).

Your assessments of all the guys were dead on. I like what you said about Kolanos' effort level. It just seems like he's out for a stroll when the puck isn't on his stick. When it is on his stick though, he's probably a top 5 sniper in the AHL.

What you said about Sylvester is dead on as well. I sort of get the same feeling about him. He's going to be a pretty damn good AHL player, but will it translate to the NHL if he even gets that chance. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets signed to a two-year, two-way deal this offseason - in fact, I'm expecting it. His numbers are outstanding this year considering he's a rookie, had to adjust to the AHL game, and has to face the adversity of being about 6" smaller than everyone else. Behind Kolanos, Walter, Wilson, and Taylor/Irving, Sylvester has been the next best point getter throughout the year. I also agree with what you said about "playing big". He certainly does that. It's funny to watch because the big defenders see him and don't expect him to lay out a hit, but he quite often catches them off guard with one. Just a fun player to watch overall.

Also, like you said, Bancks quite often has the most energy of both teams on the ice. I just wish other players would see what Bancks was doing and feed off it. More often than not his speed and aggressiveness in the offensive zone will create turnovers. It wouldn't surprise me if he was the next captain of the Heat. I can't see how Feaster couldn't retain the services of that guy, even if he never becomes an NHL player.

The defence is built exactly as you said it: "simple". I think that's the Ward likes it. He's all about efficiency and a quick chip off the glass and out is the most efficient thing a defender can do.

Tilley, what did you think of Breen this weekend?
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
Tilley

Exp:

Breen was very consistent during the two games vs Charlotte. He played a very simple game, either clearing the puck off the glass or getting it to a forward to clear the defensive zone. I noticed Charlotte was particularly physical with him, always finishing their checks on him more so than any of the other defensemen. This may have been to get him frustrated and have him retaliate or perhaps to wear him down. It might also be that he was the only one they could get a body on since Wilson and Connelly (the two primary puck-handling dmen) are very elusive.

Offensively he didn't offer much. Kept the puck in the zone, put a couple shots on net, but really was never a threat. I wasn't expecting a lot from him in the offensive zone as I view him as a shut down guy. He is a bit of a security blanket for Wilson as he allows Wilson to take more chances while he stays back.

With only a two game sample it's hard to get a good read on his overall prospects. He wasn't ready for a call up this year and might not be next year. He needs to continue to work on his skating (it is serviceable now) and decision making in his own zone. He's a guy that might make a bottom pairing in the NHL or be the 7/8th guy on the depth chart.

As I indicated in previous posts, it's hard to evaluate the dmen since they play such a simple game and the second game was a blow out. With an influx of defensemen joining the Heat next year (Lamb, Leach, Martin) I think you'll see a more active and mobile defensive group. Breen will likely remain in the top 4 for the Heat being paired with a more offensive dman similarly to this year.

Last edited by Tilley; 04-11-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Martin's been in Abbotsford all season.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Tilley

Exp:

While Martin has been with the team all year, he has only played in 28 games (38%). With this year under his belt, he'll be ready to assume a larger role on the team than a depth defenseman.

Ward obviously likes dmen with experience (Tuzzolino, Piskula, Testwuide) and the transition from junior hockey to pro is the most difficult step to take (McGill and Scotty Allen always preached this with the Knights).

The unexpected play of Derek Smith with the big club and the full time promotion of Brodie likely threw a wrench into the plans for the Heat on d this year. They have been working with ECHL guys all year. Next year I would predict a Heat D grouping that looks like:

Breen-Wilson
Carson-Connelly
Piskula-Martin
Lamb-Leach

Connelly may not be back and if not I could see the Heat signing another experienced AHL dman to solidify the top4 until Martin, Leach, and Lamb prove themselves.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:26 AM   #7
MyFlamesFirst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In the highlights Jessimen kind of looks like a big body with a little bit of finish. You see any potential in him or is he just a AHL plug in player. Also, any word on why Aliu is not in the line up? His two goals in Calgary where complete flukes but he was still a good physical presence. In the future if Reinhart gets another game I will be back asking questions. Thanks.

Last edited by MyFlamesFirst; 04-24-2012 at 03:30 AM.
MyFlamesFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
Tilley

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFlamesFirst View Post
In the highlights Jessimen kind of looks like a big body with a little bit of finish. You see any potential in him or is he just a AHL plug in player.
He was a first round draft pick in 2003, but despite his pedigree and amazing shot I don't see much of a future with the Flames for Jessiman. He doesn't move well and doesn't show enough effort in the defensive zone. If he decides to stick with the Heat next year, he could be a great veteran presence to provide some offensive punch while the young forwards (Reinhart, Ferland, Eddy) get adjusted to the AHL.

Quote:
Also, any word on why Aliu is not in the line up? His two goals in Calgary where complete flukes but he was still a good physical presence.
Aliu was up with Calgary scoring goals when Abbotsford was in Charlotte so I didn't get a chance to see him live. From what I have seen he was in the lineup for both playoff games against Milwaukee.

Quote:
In the future if Reinhart gets another game I will be back asking questions. Thanks.
Pierre would be the best person to ask Reinhart related questions. While I plan to get the AHL package, he gets a chance to see him live.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tilley For This Useful Post:

Tags
heat rule , kolanos dominates , oilers suck , prospects