Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2024, 09:59 PM   #321
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

The Panthers have done a great job of making their round 1 thread a no go zone for Dino7c.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 10:03 PM   #322
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The Panthers have done a great job of making their round 1 thread a no go zone for Dino7c.
It’s still annoying.

People taking jabs at Huberdeau.

They didn’t go into the offseason wanting to trade Huberdeau. The Flames didn’t go into the offseason looking to trade Tkachuk.

A player asked for a trade and picked the Panthers as a destination.

It worked out for the Panthers cool. It still wasn’t their plan, a rare opportunity presented itself.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 10:05 PM   #323
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
Sam Bennett wasn't very good here and he's a 40 pt guy on a good team. I like how he plays but I don't think he was a huge loss.

Pospisil plays with edge and takes fewer stupid penalties.

Tell me you don't watch the Panthers without telling....

Anyway, comparing him to Pospisil is a bad take. Not Duclair=Verhaege bad but pretty bad. Bennett is the engine of that second line and really gets Tkachuk going. Who also had a career year playing with Bennett? Huberdeau. It's true that he doesn't put up a ton of regular season points but when the games matter, he is game changer and extremely important part of the Panthers. Like Maurice said today, they are a much better team with Bennett in the lineup.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 10:17 PM   #324
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Yeah, saying Pospisil doesn’t take bad penalties, that’s laughable

Bennett is the 2C on a top 5 team, also worth noting he plays on PP2. About 30 or so of Barkov’s points are from being on PP1.

I think I’ll listen to Paul Maurice rather than some guy on the internet with some bizarre gear to grind
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 11:43 PM   #325
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I'm just waiting for Brady to go to Florida. Just imagine Bennett centering the Tkachuk brothers. Hoooo boy, what a site that would be.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 11:49 PM   #326
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
rent free
I didn't see any of the series, I have stated many times I am only able to watch late games

Also I don't like the Panthers (mostly Tkachuk) but with the Oilers alive and well I have much bigger fish to fry. Panthers are a ways down my hate list...for now. This idea I hate all ex Flames is stupid anyway, Tanev is my #1 rooting interest this playoffs.

Last edited by dino7c; 04-30-2024 at 12:01 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 11:56 PM   #327
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
It’s still annoying.

They didn’t go into the offseason wanting to trade Huberdeau. The Flames didn’t go into the offseason looking to trade Tkachuk.

It worked out for the Panthers cool. It still wasn’t their plan, a rare opportunity presented itself.
totally, people hate on Huberdeau but still love Tkachuk...it makes no sense. We get it the trade Tkachuk forced didn't work out for Calgary overall, its not like they wanted to do it.

Weegar and his 20 goals takes a lot of the sting off though, what a player
Old 04-30-2024, 12:10 AM   #328
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
It’s still annoying.

Tkachuk never asked to be traded. There was never an indication or statement made that said he wasn't ready and willing to playout his contract with the Flames. He just came clean early and said he wouldn't be signing a contract extension and would be going to free agency. That necessitated trading him to make sure we wouldn't lose him for nothing, but it isn't the same as asking for a trade.

It really has nothing to do with Tkachuk or with Huberdeau for that matter. It has more to do with why Tkachuk was bridged in the first place when reports are that he wanted a longer deal at the time. There is a lot of speculation that it was the point that soured him on his long term commitment.
Old 04-30-2024, 12:12 AM   #329
Rhett44
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
totally, people hate on Huberdeau but still love Tkachuk...it makes no sense. We get it the trade Tkachuk forced didn't work out for Calgary overall, its not like they wanted to do it.

Weegar and his 20 goals takes a lot of the sting off though, what a player
Brad pissed both Tkachuk and Gaudreau off prior to that off season. He was great at low balling players and getting some good contracts, but he had no idea how to manage his franchise players and did not prioritize him.

Tkachuk saw the writing on the wall, and wanted to play for a winner. Do you really blame him? It's every players goal to win a cup and he saw how poorly our franchise was being managed. He wasn't going to win a cup here.

There is also Covid being a factor as well as the Canadian media. Eric Francis had written some articles about how Tkachuk, Gaudreau and Monahan were losers basically. Do you really blame any of them for wanting to leave? The Canadian media is brutal. Look at Toronto right now.

Last edited by Rhett44; 04-30-2024 at 12:18 AM.
Rhett44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 12:28 AM   #330
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Let's also not forget that Brad filed for team-elected arbitration against Tkachuk just a few days before Tkachuk informed him he wasn't going to sign an extension. I'm pretty sure he tried to take him to arbitration before the bridge deal too (though I could be wrong).

Brad's handling of Tkachuk was the very definition of f around and find out.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 01:08 AM   #331
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

Understatement
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:48 AM   #332
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Let's also not forget that Brad filed for team-elected arbitration against Tkachuk just a few days before Tkachuk informed him he wasn't going to sign an extension. I'm pretty sure he tried to take him to arbitration before the bridge deal too (though I could be wrong).

Treliving never had any intention of taking Tkachuk to arbitration. Filing for it was a tactical move to impose a deadline for any team wanting to trade for him.

This was pretty well understood at the time.
Old 04-30-2024, 02:06 AM   #333
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Treliving never had any intention of taking Tkachuk to arbitration. Filing for it was a tactical move to impose a deadline for any team wanting to trade for him.

This was pretty well understood at the time.
I think it also prevented a team from giving him an offersheet. In hindsight, an offersheet probably would have been preferable.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:06 AM   #334
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Tell me you don't watch the Panthers without telling....

Anyway, comparing him to Pospisil is a bad take. Not Duclair=Verhaege bad but pretty bad. Bennett is the engine of that second line and really gets Tkachuk going. Who also had a career year playing with Bennett? Huberdeau. It's true that he doesn't put up a ton of regular season points but when the games matter, he is game changer and extremely important part of the Panthers. Like Maurice said today, they are a much better team with Bennett in the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Yeah, saying Pospisil doesn’t take bad penalties, that’s laughable

Bennett is the 2C on a top 5 team, also worth noting he plays on PP2. About 30 or so of Barkov’s points are from being on PP1.

I think I’ll listen to Paul Maurice rather than some guy on the internet with some bizarre gear to grind

I don't have a bizarre gear to grind, I literally said I like how he plays. I didn't say Pospisil doesn't take bad penalties. The way I remember it was that Bennett was really prone to taking bad penalties as in penalties in the offensive zone.

Bennett had 41 pts and Tkachuk had 88 pts, Tkachuk doesn't need Bennett.

When I said Bennett wasn't very good here, I mean in terms of where he was picked. I'm sure I said I like how he plays, but he's not some amazing second line talent. Even in Calgary Bennett was good in the playoffs if I remember correctly.

Pospisil is 3 years younger than Bennett, and 3 years ago Bennett's best season was 36 pts in 77 games, pretty similar to Pospisil this year. I would have liked to keep Bennett, but it's not a big deal that he's gone. I don't think Pospisil will be as good as Bennett, but I don't think he's that far off either.

The Flames were much better with Pospisil in the lineup then without as well.

Last edited by AFireInside; 04-30-2024 at 04:15 AM.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 05:52 AM   #335
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

He didn’t ask did a trade, but he phoned Brad and said I am not singing term but my agent will give you a list team of teams I sign with. Anyone that looks at that situation knows that’s a trade request. How else would he sign with them?

Arbitration was elected to give the team time to trade him. That did nothing to make the situation negative.

Tkachuk was never going to sign long term. It was 3 or 5 years that started in the 9s

They just won 50 games and had career years, but sure the franchise was falling apart. The only issues he has had was coaching. It was never going to work with Sutter. You can blame Edwards for that.

He set himself up to do this. He’s even talked about Brad a ton.

People crap on the Flames enough, we don’t need to create fan fiction stories as to why he left.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 06:01 AM   #336
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tkachuk literally said he wanted to sign long term the year before free agency but the Flames didn't offer him a deal.

No reason not to believe him. Brad Treliving tried to get cute to save money on his deal and it ended up costing us.

Edit: the year he signed the bridge contract not year before free agency.

Last edited by Zary's-Mustache; 04-30-2024 at 06:05 AM.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:04 AM   #337
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Tkachuk literally said he wanted to sign long term the year before free agency but the Flames didn't offer him a deal.
Citation? I don't remember hearing anything of that kind.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:07 AM   #338
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Citation? I don't remember hearing anything of that kind.
“During this process this summer, I kind of thought back to three years prior when I was going through my contract situation then,” said Tkachuk on Tuesday's episode of Spittin' Chiclets. “Throughout the whole process after my entry-level, I was just like ‘No, [I want to sign for] six, seven, eight years. What are we doing?’ And nothing really came from it.”

This is an exceept from him on spittin chiclets.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:11 AM   #339
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never heard him say he wanted to sign long term. All he said was he didn’t want anyone traded mostly talking Frolik because of his deal.

Matthew said he wanted to stay in Calgary and a few months later he gave a list of teams he would play for that didn’t include Calgary.

Matthew loves to say a lot of things.

He’s gone, he’s great, it sucks but move on. That’s the business of the game. No need to make up stories of this and that.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:13 AM   #340
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
“During this process this summer, I kind of thought back to three years prior when I was going through my contract situation then,” said Tkachuk on Tuesday's episode of Spittin' Chiclets. “Throughout the whole process after my entry-level, I was just like ‘No, [I want to sign for] six, seven, eight years. What are we doing?’ And nothing really came from it.”

This is an exceept from him on spittin chiclets.
Well it has been said that the only deal available with him was 3 or 5 years.

In the end the same situation unfolds and we have to trade him as he would be a UFA and we lose all leverage.