Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2024, 11:27 PM   #61
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
At 8-10 though?
Depends on who is off the board for me. I would take Catton over him. Despite having some injury issues I still would take Lindstrom over him. There are other players I like more, I am just saying I wouldn't be disappointed if he was the pick. He has a great toolset to his game and he is very young yet. I am not saying he should be the guy we draft, I am just saying I won't be upset if we take him.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:32 PM   #62
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
At 8-10 though?
Hage has gone nuclear late into the season and his rankings are likely going along with him. Wouldn't shock me in the least if teams had him in their top 10.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:53 PM   #63
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Hage has gone nuclear late into the season and his rankings are likely going along with him. Wouldn't shock me in the least if teams had him in their top 10.
Ya he had a slow start to the year but from my understanding he lost his father last summer in a freak swimming accident. I am surprised he got his head back in the game at all this year, I can't imagine how hard that must have been for him to start the season.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 12:25 AM   #64
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hage is a center with size and speed, and numbers almost identical to fellow USHLer Trevor Connelly. 34 points in the last 20 games. I have some other preferences too, but they won't be available.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 08:20 AM   #65
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Today's the 11th anniversary of trading Iggy
Wrong. It is the 11th anniversary of acquiring Ben Hanowski.

(who seems like a good guy and can now meet your banking needs)
https://deerwoodbank.com/ben-hanowsk...anker-officer/
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 08:34 AM   #66
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Wrong. It is the 11th anniversary of acquiring Ben Hanowski.

(who seems like a good guy and can now meet your banking needs)
https://deerwoodbank.com/ben-hanowsk...anker-officer/
It’s cool he’s a human and has a real life, but as a Flames fan, fata that guy! Hahah
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 08:35 AM   #67
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

not sure I'd love Hage at 8, but in that 11-14 range (which I feel is still the most realistic outcome because I fully expect this team will go on a winning streak when nobody needs it)? I could absolutely get behind that. Feels like right-handed centermen have been the rarest unicorns in the Flames' prospect pool for many, many years.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 10:15 AM   #68
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

8th, 11th, 14th... who cares? Take the guy you like. People get too hung up on rankings.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 10:27 AM   #69
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
That's who I put down as a Celebrini comparable in here awhile back. I think people forget that Mack is a 17 year-old until June 13th, and just put up the 3rd-best NCAA season for an under-18 player all-time (although the list isn't that impressive- he's behind Craig Simpson and Chris Valentine).

I think of him as a cross between Crosby and Toews.
I actually really like Yzerman as a stylistic comparison. The shot is similar.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 10:55 AM   #70
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I actually really like Yzerman as a stylistic comparison. The shot is similar.
I thought so too but was leery to use his name because I think fans may be expecting too much from him.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 11:21 AM   #71
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Defensemen under 30:

Andersson 27
Kylington 26 (assuming he re-signs)
Miromanov 26
Pachal 24
Okhotiuk 23
Solovyov 23
Poirier 21
Kuznetsov 21
Jurmo 21
Grushnikov 20
Morin 19
Brzustewicz 19
Hurtig 18

Centers under 30:

Sharangovich 25 (winger)
Schwindt 22
Zary 22 (winger)
Kerins 21
Lipinski 19

We do not have an NHL centerman under the age of 30, nor a prospect that we expect to become an NHLer.

This post is not directed at you Enoch, and I am just piggy-backing off your post.

I have been thinking about these prospect lists, and one thing stands out to me - this is a really good prospect base (including more names not mentioned here). Who out of this group (including everyone else) are the Flames 'building around'? Nobody other than Wolf.

#1C and #1D are very important. What is the most important for me is making sure that this organization finds franchise-type of players.

That's why I have no qualms about grabbing Tij ahead of a C or a D who may not be franchise types, if that makes sense. Basically grab BPA, period. Tij is a high value pick in my estimation because there is a lot of depth there in his abilities, and i will bet leadership will also be a trait you will see in him. I do see him as a franchise player. He may be a winger, but he is a franchise player that you build around.

The problem with 'building around Jarome' back in the day wasn't that Jarome was a winger. It was that they didn't do a good enough job at it. Flames had 3 'elite' players in that generation - Iginla, Kiprusofff and Regehr (and yes, Regehr is a hill I will die on when it comes to categorizing him as elite). If Iginla was a centre, it wouldn't have resulted in better outcomes really. Heck, Iginla was basically playmaker to Cammalleri the year they played together.

This team lost Savard and St. Louis. 2004 would have been a cup had those two players been retained. Savard and Conroy as a 1-2 punch down the middle, with Iginla and St. Louis on different lines.

Point is, just draft the franchise players. This team needs players to build around, and all positions are basically open (with Wolf being the only prospect in that category for me). I do think that there will be some surprises with a few current prospects who become better than what the appear right now, so that helps, so maybe there already is a franchise type or two in the system right now. This organization is amazing at continually finding NHL'ers throughout the rounds, so that is going to help too. However, the #1 target is to find as many franchise types as possible.

The last thing you want to do is come out of this as a much younger, but just as mediocre of a team as they have been over the last rebuild. I will be happy with a few of the centres and defencemen mentioned, but I would also be happy with Tij, because we had a front-row seat to how impactful he may become.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 11:48 AM   #72
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not that I know that they are, but if the Flames are determined to pickup Iginla, and they end up in the 8-9 range. There are two teams that could be an option for a deal.

SJ, will have Pit probably 11th-13th range pick, and their own 2nd probably 33rd overall

Phi will have there own, will probably be between 14th and 18th, and Fld probably in the late 20s.

Depending where there intel tells them everyone is going, and what those teams want, it might possible we see a trade like that develop.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 11:48 AM   #73
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Just draft the franchise players".

wow, easy!!
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 01:48 PM   #74
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
"Just draft the franchise players".

wow, easy!!
Draft franchise players. Avoid busts. It's not rocket appliances!
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 02:10 PM   #75
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am a firm believer that you should build through the middle. And even if you don't think you get a "franchise" center at ~10, I think you still ideally shoot for a center. Personally I am convinced that the Flames are headed for a couple of painful years, and IMO they are well positioned to get a very high draft pick in 25 and maybe 26 as well. 25 has Hagens, Misa, McQueen and others, 26 has McKenna, Björck and others. The player they pick in 24 doesn't have to be a franchise guy, but if we get that franchise guy in a year or two and our 24 pick ends up a really good #2C, that is awesome too.

Flames just have nothing at center in their system. Connor Zary is obviously a promising prospect and he's had a great season, but that has come on the wing. He might slide back to C, he might not. Coronato and Honzek are two where people have claimed they could play center, but that just rarely happens. Shifting centers to the wing seems much easier and more common than the other way round. But apart from Zary, who are the other "true" centers in our system? Lipinski? Maybe Kerins? That's ... not a very deep prospect pool. Desperately need to stock up down the middle, and ideally, it starts with our 1st rounder this year. Even if he isn't a "franchise" guy.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:44 PM   #76
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Based on everything I have seen, I would be thrilled if the Flames drafted Catton.

Incredibly talented player with offensive skills and hockey sense.

If he’s available, it’s a great pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2024, 12:17 AM   #77
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamca View Post
Based on everything I have seen, I would be thrilled if the Flames drafted Catton.

Incredibly talented player with offensive skills and hockey sense.

If he’s available, it’s a great pick.

Same. Of all the non-Iginla players we could be in position to draft, Catton caught my eye the most.

There was a level of polish and precision to Catton’s game that we would be blessed to have.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 12:31 AM   #78
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Same. Of all the non-Iginla players we could be in position to draft, Catton caught my eye the most.

There was a level of polish and precision to Catton’s game that we would be blessed to have.
Catton could very well be the next Aho, I would hate to see that slip thru the flames fingers.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:14 AM   #79
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

It’s not just Catton’s highlights either.

In watching some of his WHL game footage, his play without the puck is very advanced for his age as he sees the game extremely well, typically gets himself into smart positions and anticipates the play ahead of most of his opponents.

Couple that hockey IQ with his speed, quickness, ability to stick handle in a phone booth, elevate the puck in tight, shot release, etc… and he would be an excellent addition to this franchise for a long time.

Old 03-30-2024, 10:23 AM   #80
14Roman14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I’m all in for Mr. Iginla!

Ideally we swing some magic and get another pick in that range and can get both him and Yakemchuk. I’d be ecstatic.

Last edited by 14Roman14; 03-30-2024 at 10:26 AM.
14Roman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 14Roman14 For This Useful Post: