Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2024, 02:33 PM   #41
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving made a lot of small good bets early, built up his chips, and then bet big on a hand that he felt was pretty good.

It wasn't good enough to win that hand.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 02:49 PM   #42
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It seems like being in Toronto is exposing Treliving somewhat. I saw some argue late in his Flames tenure that Treliving would be a great GM in a big market without the constraints of Calgary and seems the opposite to me - Calgary's geography / small market was a great preventative measure against his impulse to hand out stupid deals to players like Reeves and Klingberg
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 02:50 PM   #43
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Nobody loved the Monahan trade. I understood it, but it felt like a steep price.

But this website has what 80 pages of people patting him on the back for the Tkachuk trade, and most saying you have to just give Huberdeau the same contract and know the last three years might suck.

Now they're all mistakes that most at the time felt were the right move?

Honestly the way Monahan's season in Montreal went after the trade was exactly why Treliving felt the need to play him. He wanted another top six and didn't think Monahan would be durable enough to do the job. In that he was right.

Just seems like a lot of over thinking and hind sight to me.

There were a lot of people who absolutely ripped Conroy for the Toffoli trade and opinions have since changed. Does it only work when the change is positive or should we still hate the move because we didn’t like it at the time? Hindsight certainly changes opinions as it should.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2024, 05:06 PM   #44
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nobody loved the Monahan trade. I understood it, but it felt like a steep price.

But this website has what 80 pages of people patting him on the back for the Tkachuk trade, and most saying you have to just give Huberdeau the same contract and know the last three years might suck.

Now they're all mistakes that most at the time felt were the right move?

Honestly the way Monahan's season in Montreal went after the trade was exactly why Treliving felt the need to play him. He wanted another top six and didn't think Monahan would be durable enough to do the job. In that he was right.

Just seems like a lot of over thinking and hind sight to me.
The return Treliving got for Tkachuk was beyond expectations and was good business that could have put us in prime position to shape our future.

However, t isn’t just hindsight that sheds a light on how irresponsible it was to subsequently give an eight year contract for the highest amount in franchise history to someone who hadn’t even laced his skates for the team.

It locked us in to one option at a time we could have used the opportunity to see how Huberdeau would fit in with the team. If it wasn’t working or he wasn’t committed, we would still have had opportunity to retrieve the situation. Additionally, the optics to and the effect on other players at the club were very poor.

Yes, Treliving did well to get what he got. But when he got it, he couldn’t have managed the situation in a worse way.

Treliving was a total failure as a GM at this team. I can only hope he manages the same level of wizardry in Toronto.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2024, 05:50 PM   #45
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

I took more of a neutral stance, to me it felt like Treliving was fixing a mistake. They miscalculated on Johnny and waited too long to do something. Johnny commented on this twice through both contracts that the waiting to get something done was brutal. There may have been a point he wanted to get signed but then doubts and family pressure started to make it more difficult. I saw lots of support for the guys Tre brought in. I had high hopes but very disappointed when it seemed like they were not fitting on as expected. Hindsight is not a bad thing, it is a teachable moment, I think Conroy is more receptive to what works and doesn't work. He is more of a delegator, and has a self empowerment approach to managing; Where as Treliving is more of a top down manager than a delegator. I like Conroy's style, I think it fits the players and the coaches better. The fact that he approached the coach about a player playing on the forth line shows that he wants things to click.

Treliving did a lot of things well but was not really the style of manager that got directly involved. With Coney at the helm I believe the Flames are in good hands.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 03:40 PM   #46
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Did you hate every one of those when it happened?

Because I remember a pretty strong majority loving the Tkachuk trade, and hoping Huberdeau signed.

Maybe it was just me though.
Doesn't matter what we think, its the GM job to succeed with trades, not cripple the franchise.
Old 02-06-2024, 05:13 PM   #47
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmile04 View Post
Doesn't matter what we think, its the GM job to succeed with trades, not cripple the franchise.
It's the GM's job to do the best he can with the information available. It's not anybody's job to see into the future.

There are no guarantees of success in this business.
Old 02-06-2024, 07:41 PM   #48
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Scoresgoalsvich!
Kuzmenko!
Pachal!

Conny!
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 08:13 PM   #49
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the start of the season I was worried about Conroy getting taken advantage of.

Now I’m worried he might go to prison for robbery
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 08:15 PM   #50
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
At the start of the season I was worried about Conroy getting taken advantage of.

Now I’m worried he might go to prison for robbery
The Conman is a great nickname
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 08:19 PM   #51
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Conroy can bring us a cup, I really don't want to see the day where the masses turn on him.

I remember all the Treliving is a wizard talk for years, and now he's supposedly the worst GM the Flames have ever had.

Goes with the territory I guess.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 08:21 PM   #52
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I hope Conroy can bring us a cup, I really don't want to see the day where the masses turn on him.

I remember all the Treliving is a wizard talk for years, and now he's supposedly the worst GM the Flames have ever had.

Goes with the territory I guess.
Thing is Treliving knew he was leaving and was reckless with the franchise. The Monahan first never would've been done if he expected to be here long term.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:23 PM   #53
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Thing is Treliving knew he was leaving and was reckless with the franchise. The Monahan first never would've been done if he expected to be here long term.
Yeah he effed up royally the last year + he was here, and all his moves blew up spectacularly, despite actually looking decent on paper.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:30 PM   #54
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yeah he effed up royally the last year + he was here, and all his moves blew up spectacularly, despite actually looking decent on paper.
I was always a supporter/defender of Treliving, but he made some panic moves in the last 10 months of his tenure here. When Chucky and Johnny left he said they wouldn’t panic, but then he did exactly that. Reminds me of the end of Sutter’s tenure as GM.

Still think he did well in the Tkachuk trade but everything after that was questionable at best.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieuwy-89 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2024, 05:00 AM   #55
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Craig Conroy has two strengths that Brad Treliving lacked: patience and player evaluation/scouting.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 07:17 AM   #56
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I think Craig Conroy has two strengths that Brad Treliving lacked: patience and player evaluation/scouting.
and he likely utilizes hockey staff better, comments have suggested that "the wizard" went lone wolf to an extent, perhaps thinking he was the smartest hardest working guy in the room
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2024, 07:54 AM   #57
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I did like that Brad was a little impatient in many ways. The team didn’t have upper level superstar talent. I’m not aware of anyone who moved on to do great things because he wasn’t given a chance. I’d say the closest was Bennett but he wasn’t that high level talent overall to lead the team.

My personal theory is the team did pretty good for scouting from the perspective of picking up serviceable NHL players in later rounds. Where he didn’t do well from a scouting perspective was drafting stars. Not fully sure that’s on him or his mediocre middle drafting position. His knock is his pro evaluation as that was always a hit or miss. His philosophy of “snot in the lineup” is old school nonsense at this point. You can’t have plugs who can’t skate. Conroy sees that from top to bottom you have to have skaters. Tre keeps making the same types of mistakes in Toronto.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 08:02 AM   #58
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^ Was kind of funny to see Treliving rush out to finish what he started in Calgary when he signed Reeves. The guy gets his sights on someone and never really lets go.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2024, 08:04 AM   #59
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You don't know that.

You don't think Murry Edwards was involved in a decision to add a 1st round pick to jettison a player and then sign another for 7x7?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 08:35 AM   #60
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
^ Was kind of funny to see Treliving rush out to finish what he started in Calgary when he signed Reeves. The guy gets his sights on someone and never really lets go.
To me that’s his big problem. Especially if someone is media hyped he seems to dig his teeth in and want him badly. Which idiot offers Reeves that much for three years? That was bad from the start and looked worse by the day. He instantly slowed down the team. Further he thought it was his own the day they signed him and that must’ve pissed off the strong personality young guys like Marner and Matthews. Treliving has no sense of EQ when it comes to the personalities in the room.

Last edited by bluejays; 02-07-2024 at 08:47 AM.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post: