"Wormius, did you polish your head in the Shine-O Ball-O?"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #22
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Renting out a property is always a great way to build equity. Be aware that it can be a pain in the ass dealing with tenants though. You're also leaving yourself to the whims of the real estate market. In this case you've already one egg in that basket (your house) and would be adding a second.

Have you maxed out your TFSA and RRSP deductions yet? Those are also great options if plan on earning income for the foreseeable future.
My thought about the rental property is that it would hopefully pay for itself with minimal effort on my part. Buying a condo to rent out was quickly kyboshed by my wife, who actually crunched the numbers and decided it wasn't worth it.

We're not maxing out our RRSPs, but we`re making a fair contributions bi-weekly. We are maxing out the kids RESPs though. We have started TFSAs and put money in, but not a significant amount and its really not making a lot of interest either.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #23
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
The day I handed them the final check, I thought I would get a nice certificate or something. The guy at the bank just said 'thats it', nothing in the mail, just thats it.
Me too! LOL My mortgage agent mailed me a couple of unfilled balloons and a handful of confetti in with the title.

PS, congratulations Wormius!
The Following User Says Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #24
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
37? That's amazing. Fata me, I'm 34 and still haven't even bought my first house yet.
I have an Asian wife who absolutely abhores debt of any kind.

By the way, we bought our house over 6 years ago. It was a lot cheaper back then.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #25
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I thought you did that before the mortgage was done?
You can certainly do it once you have enough equity in your house to borrow against it, but starting once the mortgage is gone works as well.

It essentially replaces your mortgage with a loan that you use for investment purposes, meaning that the interest is now tax-deductible and (ideally) you are earning a decent return.

it's not a risk-less strategy, but I intend to give it a go.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #26
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Dude...I picked the wrong kind of woman. My woman absolutely abhores not buying 3 pairs of black boots a month.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #27
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

By the way, we bought our house over 6 years ago. It was a lot cheaper back then.
Oh, no need to be apologetic about it. I think its awesome. I would love to do the same thing. When we do buy, my goal is to have it paid off in ten years.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #28
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
The interest is only deductible against the money you make from the investment?
I believe so. I intend to invest the funds in dividend yielding stocks and pocket the difference (to re-invest in other accounts).
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #29
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard an old wive's tale that it's a lot easier for someone to steal your house via identity theft if the bank isn't first on your house's title. I was always told that you should at least have some kind of loan against your house.

I have no idea if this is true in the slightest.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #30
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm something I forgot to mention is options 2, 3, and 4 results in additional investment in real estate. Depending upon the spectrum/size of your other investments - something to maybe think about is whether you want to double down on it.

Some people are cool with some concentration in it, others like to be a little more diverse in their holdings.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #31
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dude...I picked the wrong kind of woman. My woman absolutely abhores not buying 3 pairs of black boots a month.
Maybe you start wearing the boots, and she will stop buying them.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #32
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I should correct that - she abhores paying interest.

You have probably had a lot of fun though. My married life has consisted of a lot of non-fun purchases only. I don't plan on anything crazy though, I would like to buy a kayak and have some fun in the lakes around Alberta this year.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #33
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it right to start buying property in this market? I think any future purchases will not be paid off in the same zealousness of our house. If it was a rental property, and could sustain itself, that would be ideal. Has anybody had success or failure with that? Is there any profit before the property is paid for? Are there better areas in the city for that kind of thing? I guess close to c-trains is usually a good one, but anything else?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #34
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I should correct that - she abhores paying interest.

You have probably had a lot of fun though. My married life has consisted of a lot of non-fun purchases only. I don't plan on anything crazy though, I would like to buy a kayak and have some fun in the lakes around Alberta this year.
If you call having to wade through a pile of black leather boots in order to find your 3 year old sneakers fun..then yes. Lots of fun.

It's alright though. I got even by buying an extremely large TV. I'm pretty sure she cried for a week when she realized some crappy lamp would no longer be the focal point of our living room. FML.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #35
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it right to start buying property in this market? I think any future purchases will not be paid off in the same zealousness of our house. If it was a rental property, and could sustain itself, that would be ideal. Has anybody had success or failure with that? Is there any profit before the property is paid for? Are there better areas in the city for that kind of thing? I guess close to c-trains is usually a good one, but anything else?
Theres a lot there. Typically rental properties dont make profits for several years.

The rent will probably cover the mortgage, and for the first few years the tax losses will help generate a tax refund, but after that you start having to pay the mortgage, property taxes, maintenance and insurance, the interest will not longer cover the income and then you'll have to also pay taxes on the income.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #36
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rental properties can be done, but it's definitely work. I've bought some that pay for themselves+ lately, but if it's not something you're willing to put time into yourself you either need to 1) find a partner to manage everything for you or 2) not do it.

You could definitely borrow a bunch of money and put it in dividend paying stocks. That way you'd deduct the interest on the loan. Also, if you got a loan smaller than the loan you had before, you could set the amortization shorter and keep the payments the same. Might be a good way to end up with a sizable stock portfolio. This could also be used to invest in real estate on a more diversifed basis through REITs.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #37
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Enjoy not having that payment. You will be surprised how quickly the "mortgage free good feel" wears off. Best to not do anything that you might regret in a year.

BTW, you do get a nice Land Titles document few months after. But no fanfare.

Investment properties are a good idea, but with the prices nowadays and the uncertainty you may want to hang on and save your money.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #38
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Theres a lot there. Typically rental properties dont make profits for several years.

The rent will probably cover the mortgage, and for the first few years the tax losses will help generate a tax refund, but after that you start having to pay the mortgage, property taxes, maintenance and insurance, the interest will not longer cover the income and then you'll have to also pay taxes on the income.
You can always claim CCA. Granted, you'll have to pay tax on the recaptured amount when you sell, but I prefer to pay my tax sometime in the far future than right now.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #39
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Would an acceptable income shelter be to incorporate before buying a rental property, and paying yourself to manage said property, ensuring roughly $0 in profits, and thus, less taxation?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #40
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would caution against doing nothing for a while. If you suddenly have an extra mortgage payments worth of funds in your account every month you may find yourself getting used to it and that will make it harder to commit later.

As for rental properties, I kept my last house when we moved and have been renting it out for a few years now. I pay a property manager 10% to take care of everything and finished last year with a cash loss of $3500 and a paper gain of $8500. ie I spent more than I took in, but most of that money went to reducing the principle on the mortgage. I should be cash positive at some point, but the mortgage is being paid down so I look at it as a savings account.
One thing to consider that has been mentioned a bit above is that if you don't have significant assets outside your residence and your future rental property then you will have an investment portfolio that isn't diversified at all. It might be more prudent to borrow against your house to invest in dividend paying funds for the tax break or just direct the value of your mortgage payment to an investment account every month if you dislike paying interest.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote