Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Tipping- Part XLV

Just going to bump an old thread.

Question - What's the protocol with tipping at hotels? For example, when the valet takes your car, do you tip him to take it or do you tip when you're leaving and they get your car for you? Take bags for example - If you're leaving the hotel, do you tip the guy who takes your luggage to hold it for the day when you give it to him or when you pick your luggage up to leave?

Anyone know?
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I travel pretty frequently for work (usually once a week) and I tip the following at hotels:

Front desk: never. UNLESS I'm trying to get an upgrade. $20 can somethimes do this.
Valet: $3-5, but only at pick up. They pool tips, so you don't need to double them up.
Concierge (luggage guy): $3-5 when they take it to your room. If I store it they usually get the same amount.
I also tip housekeeping $5-10 a day, especially if I'm staying longer than one night. I get all kinds little extras for doing that, and it's nice to come back to.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet because I just skimmed through the second half of the thread, but here's a good write-up from Maclean's about tipping (not that I necessarily agree with Mr. Coyne.)

http://www.macleans.ca/culture/lifes..._110870_110870

Quote:
Everyone who's ever worked in a restaurant knows that the prettiest, most flirtatious waitresses get the biggest tips, at least from male customers, since at the back of his mind every man thinks if he throws down big he improves his chances of scoring — maybe not with her, but in some cosmic reckoning, with womankind — and at the back of her mind every waitress knows it. So toss in a whiff of prostitution, for good measure.
Quote:
Tipping might provide more of an incentive for good service if customers actually applied the principle in both directions. But be honest: if the food was lousy, and the service worse, does anyone actually omit the tip? Do you even reduce it? Or do you slink sullenly from the place, feeling abused and exploited, yet angriest at yourself for being such a milquetoast?

Last edited by malcolmk14; 04-27-2010 at 09:57 AM.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I recall from working at earl's the tipping went like this

5.5% tip out to kitchen. 1% to night leader, 1% to the server that has to prep the food and call out when it is ready, 1% to the bar. I might be getting this wrong, for some reason I don't remember it being 10%, but I also remember that if you didn't get a ~ 10% tip, you were paying for people to eat there.

Who knows. All I can say is that you can't pay me enough money to go back to serving. The job is stressful, you are always running around, things can get screwed up really easy, and you have to rely on other people to help you get your tips. If the kitchen, bar, hostess, screw up you eat the result in your tips for the night. I also really didn't like how they would just throw out food that was made wrong and not let servers or kitchen staff eat it.....

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post

5.5% tip out to kitchen. 1% to night leader, 1% to the server that has to prep the food and call out when it is ready, 1% to the bar. I might be getting this wrong, for some reason I don't remember it being 10%, but I also remember that if you didn't get a ~ 10% tip, you were paying for people to eat there.

Who knows. All I can say is that you can't pay me enough money to go back to serving. The job is stressful, you are always running around, things can get screwed up really easy, and you have to rely on other people to help you get your tips. If the kitchen, bar, hostess, screw up you eat the result in your tips for the night. I also really didn't like how they would just throw out food that was made wrong and not let servers or kitchen staff eat it.....
8.5% is insane, and I would never work at a place (especially an Earl's) that charged that kind of tip-out. From jobs I've had the standard is somewhere from 3 to 5.5%. It's not worth your time any higher than 5 or 6% at a chain restaurant like that.

As far as mistake food, it's a slippery slope. If you let people eat the food, then mistakes start to happen more often just because someone's hungry. And although as a restaurant manager you'd like to think it doesn't or wouldn't happen, it does. Often. One place I worked offered mistakes to staff at $4 or $5 an item (depending what it was), if no one took the offer then it was garbage.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh I agree, it's all too easy to "burn" a pizza and then just go eat it because you were hungry. Earl's did give you a large discount if you wanted to purchase the screwed up food, if not then it went to the trash can.

And don't quote me on the tip %, I haven't served for over 4 years, so I could be completely out to lunch on that one.

But the way the restraunt was run, with the guilt trips and long hours....no thanks. I remember several occasions when I would be on my way to work and the shift leader would call me and ask me to pick up some grocery supplies from safeway because the kitchen leader couldn't figure out how to order the right amount of food. Yea those awesome salads? They came right out of a plastic pre mixed salad bag, and you customers got to pay a nice little markup....wow I do not miss that job.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
Old 04-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
In a lot of European countries, people don't tip all, and I've never had a problem with the service in Europe.

If tips actually got you better service, I would be all for it, but the fact is they don't. What are the chances of going back to the same restaurant and the waitress remembering that you gave her 20% instead of 15% so this time, so this time you'll get better service.

I'm with the Europeans on this one.

Just got back from Europe two weeks ago, ate at some fairly decent restaurants and the service was atrocious compared to north america. Forget clearing your plate when you're done your food, they'll remove it when the bring the main course. Need something after they drop your food off, no chance. Not only that but if you read the menu (at least in france) a 15% gratuity is INCLUDED in the price. So not only are you paying for the tip, you're required to give 15% regardless of the service sucks donkeys or not. Boo to that, I say.

Last edited by corporatejay; 04-27-2010 at 10:15 AM.
corporatejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tipping is for chumps.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But the way the restraunt was run, with the guilt trips and long hours....no thanks. I remember several occasions when I would be on my way to work and the shift leader would call me and ask me to pick up some grocery supplies from safeway because the kitchen leader couldn't figure out how to order the right amount of food. Yea those awesome salads? They came right out of a plastic pre mixed salad bag, and you customers got to pay a nice little markup....wow I do not miss that job.
Sadly this is the norm in the restaurant industry. I know I'm painting with a bit of a broad brush here, but there's usually a reason why the people running these places are in the restaurant industry. They don't have business degrees, let's just put it that way.

If you can find a good restaurant with good management that treats its staff with respect and operates like a real business, it can be a very rewarding job.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Why did the person at the golf course expect me to tip her for getting a can of beer from the fridge and handing it to me? I even opened it myself.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was she attractive?

Old 04-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #12
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

She was 35+ and not overly attractive.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Then I won't ask for pics.

Maybe she felt entitled to a tip because....I don't even know. Don't tip.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #14
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Just going to bump an old thread.
Next time just start a new one as opposed to bumping a 5 year old one. We keep old threads open just in case somebody has something specific to that thread to add.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #15
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
She was 35+ and not overly attractive.
Not "overly"?

nudes plz
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #16
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm sure your numbers are wrong. There is no way a server is required to give 8.5% of his tips
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #17
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like I said, I don't remember the exact numbers....I know it was 5.5% minimum, but then you had to tip out a bit more...~10% tip made it so that you didn't have to pay for your customers to eat. I can honestly say I don't remember the exact percentage, but when comparing it with percent tip outs some of my friends had at the time at different restaurants, earl's was siginificantly higher on average.

I think my fiancee had to tip out less than 4% when she worked at applebees.

Last edited by IliketoPuck; 04-27-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #18
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Just got back from Europe two weeks ago, ate at some fairly decent restaurants and the service was atrocious compared to north america. Forget clearing your plate when you're done your food, they'll remove it when the bring the main course. Need something after they drop your food off, no chance. Not only that but if you read the menu (at least in france) a 15% gratuity is INCLUDED in the price. So not only are you paying for the tip, you're required to give 15% regardless of the service sucks donkeys or not. Boo to that, I say.
That's pretty much the way it works in Europe, gratuity included. And serving staff in France are rarely that fantastic, especially to tourists. It's one of the charms of the culture.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #19
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
When I was in Italy, the service I got was far far better than I ever received here. Prices were lower and tips were refused if I offered them. Of course this was out of the tourist trap hell and off the beaten path but it was a very refreshing change.
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #20
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet because I just skimmed through the second half of the thread, but here's a good write-up from Maclean's about tipping (not that I necessarily agree with Mr. Coyne.)

http://www.macleans.ca/culture/lifes..._110870_110870
I totally agree with Mr. Coyne - charge the appropriate amount for your service and pay your staff accordingly. If you want to be an upscale restaurant, you will have to pay more for your staff, and if you want to eat upscale, you will pay for that. Supply and demand will dictate which restaurants will get the most business.

I don't tip my masseuse or my mechanic or the maid and I won't (I do tip my hair dresser - see my comment about hot chicks). If the rate they are charging for their service is inadequate, time to raise your price. If you are a good service, people will use your service. I tip at restaurants simply out of a social obligation (and I don't tip for bad service). I am sure I tip hot chicks more than male waiters. Taking a flat gratuity for service on a large table is ridiculous - if it costs more to serve ten people than two put in a surcharge - but I am sure that cost of serving a larger group should be less per person than a smaller group.

Perhaps restaurants should have a table charge of say - $5 per head, and that goes to pay servers etc and then the food and such would be the variable cost.

Last edited by edn88; 04-27-2010 at 12:59 PM.
edn88 is offline   Reply With Quote