Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #21
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

For me, my hands get it the worst. My regimine is:
Stay hydrated
Avoid pop
Aveeno Oatmeal lotion
Working hands cream when it gets real bad
Wear gloves when going outside
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:27 PM   #22
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aveeno is life.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #23
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If possible as a last resort try a water softener it eliminated my exzema from elementary to high-school.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:56 PM   #24
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eczema is a cycle of dry skin leading to inflammation which dries it further which inflames it further, etc.

1) moisturize. Avoid hot baths/showers. Avoid long baths/showers

2) steroids help with the inflammation. The lightest effective dose is best. Try 1% hydrocortisone ointment
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:00 PM   #25
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

My family doctor gave me advice that really helped. Basically it was only shower once every 2 days with light soap and shampoo. Unless I really need a shower after being sweaty and gross from work, I don't shower fully but wash my junk and pits. It really helped stop the eczema on my hands, elbows and knees. I thought it was insane but my doctor made a good point. The human body wasn't meant to be showered every day with strong soaps. Some people's skin can handle it, mine can't. Wash your ugly bits every day and cut back on full showers, stay moisturized and keep wearing deodorant.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:36 AM   #26
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wheat, milk, sugar. Cut those out and it will get better. Milk and sugar isn't too hard, but wheat is in everything (I find it's just wheat, not gluten). I also take a probiotic every day.
My skin always gets troublesome in October as I cheat a fair amount in summer. There is usually no direct correlation of "I just ate that, and this happened", but instead it is gradual until it gets bad.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:59 AM   #27
bigbadboss101
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I agree food like wheat, milk, sugar affects it. Also anything that is inflammatory or acidic make it worse. So nutrition along with stress, moisture , sunshine affect it.
Lotions help but it's also from within. I don't have E, but I have Psoriasis and if I take it too much alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat, fried food, shell fish, wheat, sugar, dairy, stress it gets worse.

Humira a lot of people use especially in the USA when a good portion of the cost is covered. My mom's friend talked to be about it but here he paid I think several hundred dollars a month! Thanks but no thanks.
bigbadboss101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:47 AM   #28
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

My favourite things are long showers and gluten. This thread is a buzzkill.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #29
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bag balm (pretty much an antiseptic Vaseline) and decreasing the temperature of the showers I take seems to help. Polysporin doesn't. I don't find shower duration has any effect, but the temperature of the water sure seems to affect things.

My brother also said his skin feels a lot better after installing a water softener... I haven't tested this "method" though.

I have also started pounding back two pints of water the moment I get home as a form of detox. I find I don't drink enough water and/or drink beverages at work.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #30
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll chip in a vote for a water softener, I used to get small patches under my shinpads after soccer and that completely disappeared after getting a water softener.

Unless the answer is a hot tub and a move to a diet heavily influenced by red wine.

So you could try that too. Trust me, its cheaper than the water softener.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #31
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Reading up on this, I'm wondering now if the persistent rash on my neck isn't Eczema but adult Chickenpox virus
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #32
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

So weird, but mine has really flared up this year. As soon as the temperatures plummeted my eczema has really flared up, especially around the backside of my calves which I've never had before.

I play hockey 2-3 times per week so I'm guessing my socks are rubbing on that spot quite a bit, and I shower in the morning before work and after each hockey game, so that probably has a bunch to do with it.

I have a water softener at home which helps a lot, but rink water and harsh soaps that I have to use to wash the "hockey stank" off don't do me any favours.

My wife got me some "dry oil" from Kiehl's and it works really well on my hands and legs. It's a combination of argan oil and a bunch of other stuff but the nice part of it isn't greasy feeling or anything, thus the "dry" part I guess.

I've been trying it out the last few days and if I put it on at night and it's much better in the morning, if not completely gone. My legs are a bit different story, but it's helping make a difference. Maybe I should start eating better LOL
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:24 AM   #33
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
My favourite things are long showers and gluten. This thread is a buzzkill.
At the same time?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2016, 11:14 AM   #34
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Eczema is a cycle of dry skin leading to inflammation which dries it further which inflames it further, etc.

1) moisturize. Avoid hot baths/showers. Avoid long baths/showers

2) steroids help with the inflammation. The lightest effective dose is best. Try 1% hydrocortisone ointment

There is also weeping excema which I have, although it has been under control for years now. It is like very small water pimples, not red, and they can weep. It is not the weeping excema that looks extremely red though or that oozes puss.

Triggers for me are anything wool or anything that feels like wool, very fragrant or harsh cosmetics and detergents, and hot weather. During hot spells, I can get flare ups where body joints bend, so fingers, inside elbows and wrists, behind knees, even where eyelids crease. Diet does not affect it at all.

Mine was worst around Grade 8 to mid-university years. I needed a 2% cortisone to get it under control. I never travel without it, especially if vacationing in the tropics.

I agree with others, don't shower as frequently and when you do, short and tepid, not hot, and get a water softener. Also, wash any new clothing before wearing it.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote