Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #141
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
So the Flames can't draw from just anyone on the Heat? What about Piskula? He must have a two way deal? I guess I will have to read up on how the contracts work.
Piskula has a two way deal. He already had a 5 game stint with the Flames this year.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #142
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see Akim Aliu scored his 2nd goal with the Heat in the 1st period tonight. (4th game)
Old 01-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #143
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So the Flames can't draw from just anyone on the Heat? What about Piskula? He must have a two way deal? I guess I will have to read up on how the contracts work.
Yes. Piskula has a two-way deal. Flames can only draw from players with an NHL contract.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=9

This link has the list of players under contract.
Superfraggle is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superfraggle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #144
rednex50
Draft Pick

Which Shoulder with Howse?

He's had his left one separated at least twice before.
rednex50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #145
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednex50 View Post
Which Shoulder with Howse?

He's had his left one separated at least twice before.
Right arm I believe. Thank god.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #146
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's a handful of guys on the AHL club with deals for JUST the AHL club (Taylor, Rheault, Kolanos, Laing, for instance) that need to be signed to NHL deals before they can be called up to Calgary.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #147
rednex50
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
There's a handful of guys on the AHL club with deals for JUST the AHL club (Taylor, Rheault, Kolanos, Laing, for instance) that need to be signed to NHL deals before they can be called up to Calgary.
With the injuries to the Flames, its these AHL deals that is saving the Heat's butts.

Not to mention, NHL teams are ONLY allowed to have 50 contracted players on the books, with the NHL club carrying at least half usually on their roster/IR lists. This is why AHL Scouting staff need to be on their toes to find unsigned talent for not only AHL agreements but also PTO's as needed.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #148
rednex50
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Right arm I believe. Thank god.
Unfortunately this is also a bit of his pattern. Struggle, start getting it together and got injured his rookie season in the DUB. He also had nagging injuries in the 2010 and 2011 playoffs series as well, but played thru it all.

For those who ever questioned his heart...you'll see how much heart this kid has...not to mention blessed with a million dollar shot release.

If I hear more myself, I'll let you all know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rednex50 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #149
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The heat dropped another one tonight. Pity, but considering the holes in their lineup, I'm not that surprised. At least they got the OT point.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #150
Jaybird
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednex50 View Post
With the injuries to the Flames, its these AHL deals that is saving the Heat's butts.

Not to mention, NHL teams are ONLY allowed to have 50 contracted players on the books, with the NHL club carrying at least half usually on their roster/IR lists. This is why AHL Scouting staff need to be on their toes to find unsigned talent for not only AHL agreements but also PTO's as needed.
So if the Flames have 50 signed contracts then they can't, for instance, bring in Kolanos on a PTO?
Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #151
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So if the Flames have 50 signed contracts then they can't, for instance, bring in Kolanos on a PTO?
PTOs can't play games in the NHL. I think there are exceptions for emergencies (ie college goalies getting a game due to injuries). If they want Kolanos to play, it would have to be a full NHL contract and, yes, would have to count under the 50 contract limit.

Last edited by Superfraggle; 01-08-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: clarity
Superfraggle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #152
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wilson looked good in his first game with the Flames. The way he skates and wore #21...reminded me a lot of Ference.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #153
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Wilson looked good in his first game with the Flames. The way he skates and wore #21...reminded me a lot of Ference.
Yeah, he's a great skater. I think Ward said it best, something along the lines of "he plays a better game the more minutes he plays". Ward even compared him to Bouwmeester in that sense (don't know if he's entirely right).

My biggest problem with Wilson is he is awful defensively here in Abbotsford. We didn't get the greatest look on how he was defensively in his first game in Calgary because he didn't play in the defensive zone all that much. I'm rooting for him, but I still think he's a total wuss in his own end haha.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #154
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aliu has scored another tonight.

3 goals in 5 games so far.

Would really like to know what the story is behind this loan. Aliu must be done with the Jets org, and getting a chance to catch with the Flames. They still own his rights, but I wonder what happens if he fits here? Jets just give him to us somehow? Make a trade of some sort for his rights?

Anyways, for you nice folks that get to see the Heat play a lot......how does Aliu look on the ice? OK skater? Use his size effectively? Decent shot? etc, etc....

Don't get anything but raw stats by looking at the game sheet, would be nice to hear a description of his play from someone who's seen him a few times now.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #155
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heat are laying a whooping on the Rampage tonight.

5-0 late in third, goal scorers so far are Kolanos, Rheault, Ivanans, Aliu and Laing.

Shots are 39-25, about a minute left.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #156
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just finished listening to the game. Everyone was pitching in. Leblond and Ivanans were all over the score sheet. Rheault and Kolanos continue to pack the one-two punch. And Danny Taylor recovered well after the slight blip at home on the weekend. I love this Heat squad. Breen and Piskula pick up points on the backend.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #157
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^Heat had 11 players hit the score sheet.....and only Rheault and Kolanos had more than one point, with two each.

Nice depth when you consider all the players they've lost for long stretches this season.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #158
Jaybird
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Aliu has scored another tonight.

3 goals in 5 games so far.

Would really like to know what the story is behind this loan. Aliu must be done with the Jets org, and getting a chance to catch with the Flames. They still own his rights, but I wonder what happens if he fits here? Jets just give him to us somehow? Make a trade of some sort for his rights?

Anyways, for you nice folks that get to see the Heat play a lot......how does Aliu look on the ice? OK skater? Use his size effectively? Decent shot? etc, etc....

Don't get anything but raw stats by looking at the game sheet, would be nice to hear a description of his play from someone who's seen him a few times now.
Don't know the story with the Jets but as far as how he looks, he is a big guy who moves pretty fast! Haven't seen much of a physical side to him yet. He seems to know how to score. I do find that he doesn't pass the puck when he should and tries to do too much on his own. Hopefully that won't continue. I don't know what his game was like with other teams.
Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaybird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #159
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

http://theahl.com/abbotsford-comeback-central-p175393

A good article by Ryan Pinder talking about the huge comebacks made by certain Heat players this season.

edit: Big night for the Heat. They will climb to first overall in the AHL tonight with a victory over the Texas Stars. Puck drops @ 5:30. Tune in if you can. Should be a gooder. Jon Reault seems to love the south.

Last edited by thymebalm; 01-11-2012 at 05:41 PM.
thymebalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #160
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heat game tonight is on The Fan 960, featuring play-by-play by Ryan Pinder.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat