Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2016, 02:19 AM   #1
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Star Trek Short Fan-Film: Prelude to Axanar

I know there are some Trek fans on here and I just came across this story a few days ago even though the short is over a year old.

Long story short is in late 2014 there was a crowd funded fan made short-film (20 mins) made called "Prelude to Axanar"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA

Before I go on, the short in and of itself is awesome. If you can, I suggest you put it on your TV in HD full screen and turn it up etc. It takes place post Enterprise era (Backula) but pre Original Series and is in documentary format about a four year war between the Federation and Klingon Empire.

Now, "fan film" has become a subjective term, because some of the recent Star Trek projects made by "fans" are extremely professional and this is obviously a high end production with former Trek actors etc.

Paramount and CBS have always been lenient of fan projects and in some cases have encouraged them. There have been many big budget projects allowed to proceed with the stipulation that they remain not-for-profit.

As mentioned this short was posted on Youtube in late 2014 and caught fire among fans. Apparently (after it came out) via kickstarter etc, over a million dollars was raised by fans anxious to see this made into a full length feature.

Then, just a few months ago in late December 2015, Paramount/CBS filed suit for alleged copyright infringement.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/st...ed-1201669522/

Seems like quite the story brewing.

Anyway, if you haven't seen it, check it out at the above link. Definitely some very cool stuff imo if you like Star Trek and it will be interesting to see where this ends up.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2016, 02:20 AM   #2
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Some of the bigger previous fan productions are:

Star Trek Continues:

https://www.youtube.com/user/StarTrekContinues

(A group of fans who have recreated The Original Series using all the big named characters to continue making episodes in that timeline)

Star Trek Renegades:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE2Wgop9VLM

(A fan film based upon the Star Trek franchise that features several characters from commercially produced Star Trek series, played by the same actors who realized them for film and TV. Directed by Tim Russ - Tuvoc from Voyager)

Star Trek Horizon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l94v4YOqxOc

(Another high end fan production that was released last week after a couple years in the making)
Old 03-05-2016, 05:00 AM   #3
fanman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow, watched the prelude to Axanar one. That was impressive.

When I see fan-made I usually think about a couple of guys in a field with a run of the mill digital handcam. Then maybe some post CG in the basement on their home PC.

That looked pretty high budget and well put together. Big kudos. Very impressed that they were able to get some of the old Star Trek actors on board as well. I`m gonna have to check out the others now. Nice find!

Last edited by fanman; 03-05-2016 at 05:03 AM.
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Honestly I would have rather watched that then the mess of the second Abrams movie.

That was really well done and had pretty high production values. Loved seeing some of the old DS9 actors taking part.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #5
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I've been following this from the start, the legal move disappointed me but I understand the Axanar folks might have been making money in ways that went beyond the prior goodwill given to fan films... we'll see.

The argument from the other side is that Axanar was so good and developed so much attention, it could embarrass the owners by providing a better Star Trek product.

Each side could be right. I really want to see that Axanar production though, while it was merely talking heads, they had a great cast and really told a story well.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #6
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Axanar is fantastic. I'd pay to see that.

just found this one, which i think was made by one of the people behind Star Trek: New Voyages:

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:23 AM   #7
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

These Trek fan films are always a mess. Renegades was total trash, that Axanar is just a bunch of people talking on green screen backgrounds. You can see why Paramount wants to stop these from happening now. I personally know some people that thought Renegades was an official production and were baffled at how bad it was -- I had to explain to them that it was not. With official movies and a new TV series coming out, it makes sense to take control again.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #8
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
These Trek fan films are always a mess. Renegades was total trash, that Axanar is just a bunch of people talking on green screen backgrounds.
I'm sorry but how was Axanar a "mess" just because it had people talking? It's called story telling, and was a clever way to skirt around productions costs for a short that was aimed at garnering interest to set up a bigger project.

Renegades being awful has nothing to do any other projects. If you take the time to go through Youtube, yes the majority of them are awful as it's a lot of amateur efforts. But Axanar was really well done, and touched on some classic storylines. It's why it had a lot of acclaim and interest.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually thought that Axanar one was pretty good. Its creative to try and use your budget on making the production value look better than something someone did in their parents' basement.

I liked it.

Renegades was genuine garbage though. I had to 'Clockwork Orange' myself to get through that. That was genuinely grim.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #10
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
I'm sorry but how was Axanar a "mess" just because it had people talking? It's called story telling, and was a clever way to skirt around productions costs for a short that was aimed at garnering interest to set up a bigger project.

Renegades being awful has nothing to do any other projects. If you take the time to go through Youtube, yes the majority of them are awful as it's a lot of amateur efforts. But Axanar was really well done, and touched on some classic storylines. It's why it had a lot of acclaim and interest.
Because it's boring -- eventually something has to happen. Sure it's raised $1 million dollars -- I don't think you'd want to see the level of special effects, sets, editing, sound, etc. that you'd get out of a tiny budget like that. It'll just look cheesy and lame/amateur just like all the other fan projects.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #11
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because it's boring -- eventually something has to happen. Sure it's raised $1 million dollars -- I don't think you'd want to see the level of special effects, sets, editing, sound, etc. that you'd get out of a tiny budget like that. It'll just look cheesy and lame/amateur just like all the other fan projects.
I dont know what your expectation levels are man, even the full-budget, studio-produced Star Trek movies werent exactly Oscar-worthy stuff.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #12
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Because it's boring -- eventually something has to happen.
In a 20 minute short that's aimed at setting up a feature length story? Not sure if you're aware what word "prelude" means.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #13
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just not interested in low budget, cheesy, non-canon fan films. Sorry if that's an unusual opinion to have?
Old 03-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #14
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'm just not interested in low budget, cheesy, non-canon fan films. Sorry if that's an unusual opinion to have?
You can have any opinion you like. I mean you cheer for an intentionally failed product like the Buffalo Sabres (tank tank tank), so all the more power to you.

I was just questioning your disregard for anything fan-made all with one brush stroke, and labeling this particular short as boring, low budget, and claiming nothing happened in it.

I haven't seen anyone with that take, as it looked very slick with it's visuals, touched on a very interesting part of established cannon, and was received as very entertaining by over a million fans.

But either way, I think you've made your point. You didn't like it. Got it.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #15
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
You can have any opinion you like. I mean you cheer for an intentionally failed product like the Buffalo Sabres (tank tank tank), so all the more power to you.

I was just questioning your disregard for anything fan-made all with one brush stroke, and labeling this particular short as boring, low budget, and claiming nothing happened in it.

I haven't seen anyone with that take, as it looked very slick with it's visuals, touched on a very interesting part of established cannon, and was received as very entertaining by over a million fans.

But either way, I think you've made your point. You didn't like it. Got it.
Well, seeing as you cheer for the worst and least successful franchise in NHL history, one can see how you might not have the best eye for quality, right?
Old 03-06-2016, 11:30 PM   #16
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Well, seeing as you cheer for the worst and least successful franchise in NHL history, one can see how you might not have the best eye for quality, right?
Nice try, but I'm a Flames Fan foremost and have been since I moved to Calgary in 96. It's why I'm on this site.

Thanks again for your contributions here. Anything else to add that you haven't already made clear?