Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-20-2016, 12:04 PM   #801
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I've been following this thread for a few months now...

What is the consensus on the best android Kodi box? GooBang or Nvida Shield?
I hated my goobang and I love my amazon TV box. Even my apple TV is good for non sports related Kodi just annoying how I have to update it every week
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:34 PM   #802
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I cut the cord years ago but wanted something to watch TV American election coverage so I found a $3 plastic 5 inch UHF antenna from the 80s at a thrift store and put it on my downtown condo balcony.

I've tried before with VHF rabbit ears and got nothing and I realized that I face completely away from signal hill and any stray radio transmissions are getting blocked by a huge amount of buildings behind me in line of sight and also reflected by the glass which covers most of my building exterior (radio works just like light and a portion is reflected). I also found out all our signals are UHF.

I calculated that if that was happening, that the transmissions were also bouncing off all the glass covered buildings in downtown also so there was a chance that I could get good signal reception if I pointed the UHF antenna at a bunch of other buildings and it worked! I'm totally blocked off from the transmission towers but the transmissions are bouncing around the downtown buildings and I'm getting amazing signals. I just needed to get the antenna outside.

It's funny, even if I have the antenna inside and I'm receiving nothing, even opening the balcony door a crack lets in enough radio waves that it starts to work. For now I've wrapped up everything in a little garbage bag as a form of ghetto weather-proofing and put it on the concrete balcony floor. Hopefully, this won't also act like a big lightning rod directly through the coax into my house...

Now, the only problem is I didn't realize OTA sucked so much in Calgary and I'm only getting 6 channels worth of junk...2 of which are almost unwatchable because YESTV is a religious network and OMNI is mostly ethnic programming which switches languages every hour! CICT seems to play nothing but Global News and ET Canada, and the rest are filled with repeats of Modern Family, Big Bang Theory, and 3 & a Half men.

Oh well, I guess I can watch HNIC at least. I can also catch Colbert, James Corden, and Trevor Noah but they all play after 12AM! I'm not in junior high anymore. I can't stay up that late. Those people living in Canadian cities near the US border out east have it lucky, they can catch 20+ channels including the big networks like NBC, ABC, CBS, etc. It sucks here in Calgary.

BTW, I haven't watched TV for almost 15 years. What happened to RDTV and ACCESS?

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-09-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #803
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

RDTV went off the air a number of years ago. Access became CTV2, but refused to go digital OTA and was shut off when analog signals stopped around 2012.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2016, 03:13 PM   #804
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Those people living in Canadian cities near the US border out east have it lucky, they can catch 20+ channels including the big networks like NBC, ABC, CBS, etc. It sucks here in Calgary.
Yeah, get 32 channels on South shore of Montreal, but essentially it adds only NBC, CBS, Fox and PBS to the 4 Canadian networks (if we are only counting stuff I might watch). I can't get ABC.
Still a lot of TV for free, particularly comparatively speaking.
You will enjoy the quality of HNIC via OTA
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #805
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

$25 basic TV can't stop customers from cutting their cable in record numbers

One analyst predicts Canada is on pace to lose almost 200,000 TV subscribers this year — an all-time high

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/basi...able-1.3847342
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #806
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Picked up a little android box, Mygica I think it is called. Kodi, Netflix, Crackle, etc. Works quite well. I am a seasoned XBMC/Kodi user so it doesn't bother me anymore. Kids can use it easy enough so once my free cable runs out I will cancel again. Been doing that for years.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #807
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Speaking of Kodi...

I've never used it, tho for a very brief period had XBMC running (not well) on my ATV2.

Currently I run Plex on a MacMini with an attached WD My Passport drive housing all the content Plex is managing. I have a lifetime subscription to PlexPass which I bought a couple of years ago, and finally took the time to get working properly this week.

While I'm in this streaming state of mind, I'd love to be able to stream some live sports and other TV shows and was wondering if there is any way to do this by integrating Kodi into Plex?
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:13 PM   #808
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
Speaking of Kodi...

I've never used it, tho for a very brief period had XBMC running (not well) on my ATV2.

Currently I run Plex on a MacMini with an attached WD My Passport drive housing all the content Plex is managing. I have a lifetime subscription to PlexPass which I bought a couple of years ago, and finally took the time to get working properly this week.

While I'm in this streaming state of mind, I'd love to be able to stream some live sports and other TV shows and was wondering if there is any way to do this by integrating Kodi into Plex?
Just released today, actually...

https://www.plex.tv/blog/plex-media-...ree-kodi-said/

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2016, 09:54 PM   #809
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does anyone have any insight on the validity (or not) that Amazon prime video is launching in Canada tomorrow (Dec 1st )?
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:12 PM   #810
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Just released today, actually...

https://www.plex.tv/blog/plex-media-...ree-kodi-said/

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the update - but I don't think this is quite what I'm looking for. This sounds like a Kodi add-on and what I'm looking to do is keep using my PMS to handle everything.

Actually, what I really want to do is just get a reliable stream of sports highlights. Movies and other TV shows are a nice addition, but I'd love to be able to fire up my ATV4, open an app (Plex or whatever) and watch the highlights from the night before. Sportsnet wants something crazy like $25/month to do this, so I'm left looking for other options. Anyone have any suggestions?
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #811
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
Thanks for the update - but I don't think this is quite what I'm looking for. This sounds like a Kodi add-on and what I'm looking to do is keep using my PMS to handle everything.

Actually, what I really want to do is just get a reliable stream of sports highlights. Movies and other TV shows are a nice addition, but I'd love to be able to fire up my ATV4, open an app (Plex or whatever) and watch the highlights from the night before. Sportsnet wants something crazy like $25/month to do this, so I'm left looking for other options. Anyone have any suggestions?
PMS currently does not support live streaming, even with the PLEX DVR its only recording the tv stream and then you can play back. I would love it to get that feature, but I think Plex is worried about the legality of the streams.

On the Apple TV I think you are out of luck as Apple will not allow non legal streams.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:00 PM   #812
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any recommended indoor antennas? Just recently cut the cord. Best Buy was sold out of ones I was considering (one was a Philips digital amplifying antenna...I think)
Old 03-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #813
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Opinions please.... If one ignores the first-run movies is the other content on an Android box legal streams (or a gray area)? I'm referring to TV programs that are freely available.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:35 PM   #814
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

First thing you should do is get a VPN. Especially if you are considering "grey" sources.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 11:04 AM   #815
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So we are considering cutting the cord, most of our watching is in the form of Netflix via our Firestick

My only question is watching Flames games, is there a way to do this legally, and get around the blackouts?

I see that Kodi has an NHL.tv addon that requires the NHL.tv account, does this get around the blackouts? Super annoying that Game Center Live blacks things out.
Khel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #816
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:
Default Cutting the cord

I don't know if the Firestick hardcodes it's DNS, but I found this year that if I set my DNS to use OpenDNS, it made my AppleTV's think that I was in Vancouver. I just happened across this as I use OpenDNS instead of Telus (I had issues with Telus' DNS server for IPV6, so I changed it like a year ago)
Old 04-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #817
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use a different NHL.tv app than the official one, which I find far better, but blackouts are in effect.
You can subscribe to sportsnet now, which should give you every Flames game. I tried the app on my firestick and it worked OK, as I recall. It's $25 per month to subscribe, so I guess it would be $200 per NHL season.
Blackouts got to go.

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 04-28-2017 at 12:18 PM.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #818
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bump...Is there any Android TV Boxes out there that people would recommend?
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:13 PM   #819
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Nvidia Shield TV. Yeah it's pricey, but it's worth it if you ask me. I have a plex server on it, and it comes with a controller so running emulators is a bonus.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #820
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use the Roku 3 and its excellent. has an excellent App store that gives you pretty much all you need and also have Plex and Game Center. Will never go back to Cable.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post: