Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2016, 06:54 AM   #741
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
I ordered this one https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01GLE929I/...785990_TE_item
We'll see how it is, the nvidia shield and fire tv are appealing but price is and availability (fire tv) are tough.
I'm sure it will be good.
It will come preloaded with Kodi. My advice would be to add fusion as source and use 'Fresh start' to wipe it clean. Assuming play store is installed, I would also delete Kodi installation and install directly from the play store. It will them update as with any other app. It's will be a bit of work, and some learning curve, but will benefit you greatly in the long run.
Keep us posted!
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #742
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Was this refreshing your personal media directories? I still use plex for all that stuff since the wife can use it easily on the iPads. I need it only for kodi streaming and Netflix
It was with my media directories in Kodi. I believe (through researching Kodi forums) that I had one or more add-ons giving me issues as it started after I upgraded to a new version of Kodi. Frankly due to the limitations of the ir control, I didn't put a ton of effort in trying to resolve it.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #743
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I'm sure it will be good.
It will come preloaded with Kodi. My advice would be to add fusion as source and use 'Fresh start' to wipe it clean. Assuming play store is installed, I would also delete Kodi installation and install directly from the play store. It will them update as with any other app. It's will be a bit of work, and some learning curve, but will benefit you greatly in the long run.
Keep us posted!
I second this the model I had was by the same company and the pre installed stuff was out dated and once I did a clean install it was slightly better on the Kodi front. The Netflix app was what really drove me mad and made me return it. Also wasn't the best for live streaming sports but that could have been my internet and not the actual box
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:16 PM   #744
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
It was with my media directories in Kodi. I believe (through researching Kodi forums) that I had one or more add-ons giving me issues as it started after I upgraded to a new version of Kodi. Frankly due to the limitations of the ir control, I didn't put a ton of effort in trying to resolve it.
Good to know I will keep an eye out for anything and report back! Just got the boxes today so will load them up tonight and test on the weekend
Old 09-09-2016, 10:56 PM   #745
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well kodi will be put on hold my wife decided to start having the baby early. I did bring Amazon tv to the hospital and I am liking it so far. The voice integration seems to work very well. Bad news is you can't get crave tv on it so I can't marathon band of brothers all night.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:44 PM   #746
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I did bring Amazon tv to the hospital and I am liking it so far.
You're welcome.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:41 AM   #747
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well kodi will be put on hold my wife decided to start having the baby early. I did bring Amazon tv to the hospital and I am liking it so far. The voice integration seems to work very well. Bad news is you can't get crave tv on it so I can't marathon band of brothers all night.
You can watch anything you want, just not legally.
Congrats dad

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 09-10-2016 at 01:51 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:17 AM   #748
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
For NFL fans, from the Vmedia thread:
"Info on NFL Game Pass International"

I also downloaded the Kodi extension for gamepass and it's awesome. The app only streams at 1600kbps and looks like crap, whereas the Kodi extension gives you full 4500kbps and 720p. Looks as good as watching it on an HD cable channel. The Kodi extension is also pretty rad because it has a full library of games from past seasons (I think it went as far back as 2010).
Just signed up for the free one week trial.
The Kodi addon is awesome. Watching the condensed version of Thursday game right now (40 minutes long lol).
Quality is excellent. Will see how today goes. Am very happy to have Red Zone.
It's expensive, but meh.
Anyway, thanks for this heads up!

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 09-11-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:34 PM   #749
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Just signed up for the free one week trial.
The Kodi addon is awesome. Watching the condensed version of Thursday game right now (40 minutes long lol).
Quality is excellent. Will see how today goes. Am very happy to have Red Zone.
It's expensive, but meh.
Anyway, thanks for this heads up!
Not sure where you signed up from but if you use PIA and change your location to Brazil or New Zealand, the price drops by about $50.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:54 AM   #750
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Long thread and this is probably answered but I don't have time to read it all now. How can I cut cable (we use Netflix for 95% of our content) and be able to watch my CFL games and the occasional NHL game? I watch the Walking Dead (it is on Netflix but not up to date) and Game of Thrones so need to know if I can legally get those. I suppose I could go old school and get sports on non-cable TV but it wouldn't be HD.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:30 PM   #751
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

TSN Go (CFL) and TMN Go (HBO in Canada) are not available as standalone subscriptions options. They are only included with cable package(s). Sportsnet now is available as standalone. There is no option for AMC except as part of package in Canada.
You should be able to use OTA antenna to pick up local channels in excellent HD quality. This would work for CBC hockey broadcasts, and any regular network programming.
Legal streaming options in Canada suck.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #752
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Are you sure about Sportsnet being available as a standalone? Telus appears to still have it as part of the Popular Sports package.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:52 PM   #753
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Long thread and this is probably answered but I don't have time to read it all now. How can I cut cable (we use Netflix for 95% of our content) and be able to watch my CFL games and the occasional NHL game? I watch the Walking Dead (it is on Netflix but not up to date) and Game of Thrones so need to know if I can legally get those. I suppose I could go old school and get sports on non-cable TV but it wouldn't be HD.
Lots of cable channels release their shows on services like iTunes, Google Play, Playstation Store, Microsoft store. Unfortunately they are released essentially the next day after broadcast. E.g. Walking Dead airs Sunday night at say...9:00 PM MST. The episode becomes available on iTunes at about 1:00 AM Monday morning, meaning it is likely a next day viewing. AMC, FX, and many network shows can be watched this way.

To watch on your TV you will want a small IPTV box like an Apple TV or Roku, or the Sony or Microsoft game console if going that route.

Unfortunately, the one major exception is HBO (for Game of Thrones). In the past, the only 100% above the board way to watch Game of Thrones in Canada as it airs is to subscribe to a cable/satellite service and add HBO to your package. About a few months after the final episode of a season airs, the whole season is available for purchase on services like iTunes or Google Play. But this means you have to wait around 2-3 months avoiding spoilers, and being unable to talk about GoT with anyone.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2016, 12:54 PM   #754
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hixxes View Post
Are you sure about Sportsnet being available as a standalone? Telus appears to still have it as part of the Popular Sports package.
The Sportsnet NOW Internet streaming service can be subscribed to without a TV subscription. It's $25/month to get the 6 or whatever Sportsnet channels, available to watch on your web browser, Xbox One, more devices coming soon.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2016, 04:24 PM   #755
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ I just bought the Sportsnet Now and I would caution that although it says Chromecast supported, its not true Chromecast support. You can flip the browser to Chromecast but there is not an actual button like Netflix has, so the quality suffers a bit when you cast to TV.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:12 AM   #756
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I ordered this one https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01GLE929I/...785990_TE_item
We'll see how it is, the nvidia shield and fire tv are appealing but price is and availability (fire tv) are tough.
I've finally had some time to get everything setup and started trying it out. From a hardware perspective it seems adequate, loads apps quickly, pretty responsive, no real complaints there. Android in this setup leaves something to be desired, but that has nothing to do with the box. I bought a mini keyboard/trackpad combo that helps a lot but an OS that is meant to be touch screen still feels cumbersome to use with it. The Netflix and Plex apps are a bit of a pain to use, again I think because they are meant to be used on a touchscreen, but they work for the most part.

A couple of Kodi questions for the experts; is there a good search addon that will search across all of the installed addons? I tried to do a bunch of Live TV last night and out of the 20 or so streams I tried, on multiple addons, I only got one to actually load. Am I doing something wrong?
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #757
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've been reading that castaway is bad right now for live tv since the developer has decided to take a vacation. Any tips also appreciated!

I loaded kodi on the Amazon box and it was very simple. Seems to be working pretty good I haven't had too much time to fiddle with the live streaming yet
Old 09-17-2016, 05:30 PM   #758
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So Amazon doesn't have a NHL Game Center app. I've been trying to install through kodi but looks like the app is disabled. I have a valid account does anyone know a way to get it to work on Amazon or kodi?
Old 09-17-2016, 08:10 PM   #759
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So Amazon doesn't have a NHL Game Center app. I've been trying to install through kodi but looks like the app is disabled. I have a valid account does anyone know a way to get it to work on Amazon or kodi?
Google NHL.tv addon by Eracknaphobia. You will have to send his repo to your amazon box, I think. I don't think it is in official repo, but may be?
It is excellent. Live plus full, condensed and about 10 minute highlights for each game. Really good quality, without buffering. Also works with Rogers login, which you get with phone plan.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:25 PM   #760
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've finally had some time to get everything setup and started trying it out. From a hardware perspective it seems adequate, loads apps quickly, pretty responsive, no real complaints there. Android in this setup leaves something to be desired, but that has nothing to do with the box. I bought a mini keyboard/trackpad combo that helps a lot but an OS that is meant to be touch screen still feels cumbersome to use with it. The Netflix and Plex apps are a bit of a pain to use, again I think because they are meant to be used on a touchscreen, but they work for the most part.

A couple of Kodi questions for the experts; is there a good search addon that will search across all of the installed addons? I tried to do a bunch of Live TV last night and out of the 20 or so streams I tried, on multiple addons, I only got one to actually load. Am I doing something wrong?
No way to search across all addons, that I am aware of. There are several aggregate addons like Exodus and SALTS, that scrape multiple sources . I exclusively use Exodus, and can't remember the last time I couldn't find a good source for what I want to watch. Use in conjunction with Trakt.tv account/addon, and it keeps track of all your tv watching across all Kodi devices.
TBH, live feeds suck. Sometimes one can find good sports streams, but for other TV it is not good, in my experience.