Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #241
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

As soon as Broadview gets played on when it's wet, it gets destroyed. Unfortunately, the way May/June has been lately, the field is always wet.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #242
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gibbs will have that field looking great this year...Book it!
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #243
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gibbsy!! He's got nothing better to do I suppose...
Old 05-28-2014, 08:00 PM   #244
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada played 2 friendlies this week in Austria, drawing 1-1 against Bulgaria and 1-1 against Moldova.

You might think those are disappointing results, but considering this is a team that went 0-10-3 in 2013 with 1 goal for, and 19 goals against, these results look tremendous.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #245
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a note, Kevin McKenna has most likely retired from club competition. Knee injuries apparently catching up to him. Missing a penalty (video below) in his last game.

Cottbus, then Hearts, then back to Cologne (along with a 6 hour speculation that he was signing with Man United).

From what I gather, he was never contacted by the CSA/CMNT after WC qaulifying last year, so was left off the roster simply by being ignored. It's the way that program has been run the better part of the last decade and a half. Captained the team, 62 caps, 11 goals.

Anyways, fantastic career and represented the city, province and country well. Another player from Thomas Niendorf back when, and, like Owen Hargreaves, not on the (pathetic) National Team program radar until making it in Germany, because he wasn't from Ontario/Quebec or BC.

Know the family and played with and against his brothers. From what I gather he's staying in German for now with his family, so all the best to him.

Last edited by browna; 05-28-2014 at 08:53 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #246
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Know the family and played with and against his brothers. From what I gather he's staying in German for now with his family, so all the best to him.
I remember Mark, very vividly, captaining the Calgary Storm. He seems to be doing ridiculously well now, business-wise.

You're definitely right. There were a lot of tremendous players from Calgary during that era.

Asmir Begovic has some interesting CSA stories. I guess he'll be waving to them from Brazil, while he starts with BiH. I do realize there are two sides to every story though. My heart wants to believe things are getting better with the CSA.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2014, 08:58 PM   #247
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

CSA probably thinks he gave up in that 8-1 loss.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #248
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Asmir Begovic has some interesting CSA stories
Do tell!
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #249
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
Do tell!
It echoes what browna posted in regards to Kevin McKenna.

The wheels started to fall of the bus in 2008, when he was made promises by the CSA, but they never followed through. His questions about his future with Canada and possible playing time with the senior side got ignored.

Then-BiH coach Ciro had a good chat with Begovic and the rest, as they say, is history.

I've always wondered if it was because he was a product of Alberta Soccer? The ASA and CSA didn't see eye-to-eye for a very long time on a number of things. On the flip side, Lars Hirschfeld is from Edmonton and this province has developed a few good keepers, especially on the women's side (Erin McLeod, Steph Labbe and Taryn Swiatek).
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #250
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
CSA probably thinks he gave up in that 8-1 loss.
Kevin is a good guy. They didn't like his comments at half-time of that game. The CSA likes to hold grudges, but to not call him back after that is totally absurd on their part. He was shell shocked after that first 45, no doubt.
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #251
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
Kevin is a good guy. They didn't like his comments at half-time of that game. The CSA likes to hold grudges, but to not call him back after that is totally absurd on their part. He was shell shocked after that first 45, no doubt.
I have heard so many stories to confirm that, and that's just in this city alone...

The CSA are an entitled bunch, which is absolutely ridiculous considering our one total WC appearance.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:38 PM   #252
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks Mango!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
I have heard so many stories to confirm that, and that's just in this city alone...

The CSA are an entitled bunch, which is absolutely ridiculous considering our one total WC appearance.
Even if we start to make some large strides, I wonder if we'll have to go the Aussie route and start fresh with a new FA.

On the topic of large strides, Jason de Vos tweeted that the National Curriculum will be coming out on Tuesday.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:09 PM   #253
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe under Montagliani and Floro these stories will start to go away. Hanson Boakai will be the centerpiece of the midfield for a long time, and he was developed in Edmonton.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #254
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Canada's soccer program gets crapped on a lot during and around the world cup and there is lots of talk about how we don't produce good players etc etc. Just for fun, decided to pull together an 11 of players who are Canadian by birth, decent or naturalization but have declined call ups to our program.

I excluded guys like Landon Donovan or Ethan Finlay who have never been called.

Not trying to call out the players but ask... do you think they would beat our current 11?

4-3-3

Bunbury-Mascia-Lavery

Hoilett-Cristante-De Guzman

Vitoria-John-Ferreira-Rochat

Any of Bounou/Fernandes/Begovic can play goal (they're all better than Lars or Borjan by a good margin).

Also (a little tongue in cheek) Scotiabank can sponsor them : link
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #255
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe just maybe some good news for Canada... this is still speculative but Hoilett may be coming into the fold for the new cycle. 2018 baby!

Combined with Fraser Aird coming back to play for Canada, finally a couple wins. Now if they can just convince Vitoria and one of the super prospects Mascia or Cristante they'll start to look like favourites to qualify.

https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/statu...24151243395073
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #256
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Maybe just maybe some good news for Canada... this is still speculative but Hoilett may be coming into the fold for the new cycle. 2018 baby!

Combined with Fraser Aird coming back to play for Canada, finally a couple wins. Now if they can just convince Vitoria and one of the super prospects Mascia or Cristante they'll start to look like favourites to qualify.

https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/statu...24151243395073
That's fantastic news, of course I would be relieved until I see Hoilett in the 2015 Gold Cup.

Jordan Hamilton of TFC is probably our best forward prospect right now. 18 years old, 3 goals in 6 games in USL Pro to date. Could be a potential contributor in the 2018 cycle.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #257
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
That's fantastic news, of course I would be relieved until I see Hoilett in the 2015 Gold Cup.

Jordan Hamilton of TFC is probably our best forward prospect right now. 18 years old, 3 goals in 6 games in USL Pro to date. Could be a potential contributor in the 2018 cycle.
What about Hanson Boakai? Showed his worth in the Canadian Championship. Two international caps already against Costa Rica and Jamaica in the CONCACAF U-17 Championships and helped Canada qualify for the semi-finals in the 2013 U-17 World Cup.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:33 PM   #258
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
What about Hanson Boakai? Showed his worth in the Canadian Championship. Two international caps already against Costa Rica and Jamaica in the CONCACAF U-17 Championships and helped Canada qualify for the semi-finals in the 2013 U-17 World Cup.
Yup, he's a better prospect than Hamilton IMO, but he's an attacking midfielder. More of a setup guy than a finisher.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #259
littlereddevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Canada's soccer program gets crapped on a lot during and around the world cup and there is lots of talk about how we don't produce good players etc etc. Just for fun, decided to pull together an 11 of players who are Canadian by birth, decent or naturalization but have declined call ups to our program.

I excluded guys like Landon Donovan or Ethan Finlay who have never been called.
Hold on.... Donovan is Canadian?

The things you learn everyday...
littlereddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #260
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlereddevil View Post
Hold on.... Donovan is Canadian?

The things you learn everyday...
Him and Finlay are the same, americans with canuck parents. I don't think canada ever even approached donovan though I think they are working on Finlay.

Re: forwards sherm is right, Hamilton is one of the best prospects, the new spanish coach likes that Larin kid playing in the ncaa right now too. Caleb Clarke had a very good season in germany and Cavallini took a step back but is still a good prospect. If any of them could breakthrough and get starting minutes for a season that would be great. It's really the weakest part of the team for the next cycle.

Where's Tomasz Radzinski when you need him?

Last edited by Matty81; 06-16-2014 at 08:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post: