Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:08 AM   #7781
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even the Blackhawks, which have a much better management group than the Oilers, have been showing the strain over the past two playoff seasons of having $21MM tied up in your top two contracts.

The end result of these top heavy contracts is being you need to have an offsetting amount of younger inexperienced, players being able to step in and play some meaningful roles as well. With first round exits the last two years the Blackhawks are showing that is harder than it seems, to be a formula for success.

With the Oilers, if they tie up $20+MM with McDavid and Draisaitl, the odds for success could be even longer. The wailing and gnashing of teeth up there with first round playoff exits (assuming they make the playoffs) will be the best entertainment value there is.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #7782
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
With the Oilers, if they tie up $20+MM with McDavid and Draisaitl, the odds for success could be even longer. The wailing and gnashing of teeth up there with first round playoff exits (assuming they make the playoffs) will be the best entertainment value there is.
And if you took McDavid and Draisaitl out of the team, along with their cap hits, the Oilers would stink even worse.

The moral being, without good young cheap talent, no team will go very far in a cap world.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #7783
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Oh Oilers the Salary Cap is the fire in which you burn.
Which, if you think about it, is rather ironic considering they were the Poster Child for: "Why the NHL needs a Salary Cap."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #7784
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep mentioning to my oilers fan friends that they are in cap jail and I get blank stares most of the time....

the level of obliviousness is stunning, I really believe they have no idea as the local market media doesn't ever report the negative.

it's all mcjesus and plan the parade bs.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #7785
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Listening to Sirius NHL Network and they seem to think Oilers are coming out tops in the west, the hype train is in full force. Curious to see how they deal with the pressure, I really don't see that team doing near as well as last year.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:27 AM   #7786
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
And if you took McDavid and Draisaitl out of the team, along with their cap hits, the Oilers would stink even worse.

The moral being, without good young cheap talent, no team will go very far in a cap world.
To be fair, the Blackhawks won multiple Cups with two players tied up at about $20 million.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #7787
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
To be fair, the Blackhawks won multiple Cups with two players tied up at about $20 million.
To be fair $12.6 million is not $20 million.

Cause if you're talking about Kane and Toews, that's what they were making.
So unless they had 2 guys making $20 MM I don't know about, or they've won a few cups I don't know about, it's not really comparable.

What they have done is bow out in the 1st round 2 years in a row with 2 guys tied up at about $20 MM.

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 08-02-2017 at 11:36 AM.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #7788
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
To be factual the Blackhawks have won zero Cups with Kane and Toews taking up 21 million of the cap between them. Those contracts kicked in during the 2015-2016 season, their last cup was the season before that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #7789
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As some one said, at the time they won, the cap hit was much less.

The Hawks also had a some very good cheap talent, which allowed them to stay competitive even as they had to move some players due to cap issues.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #7790
formulate
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
As some one said, at the time they won, the cap hit was much less.

The Hawks also had a some very good cheap talent, which allowed them to stay competitive even as they had to move some players due to cap issues.
Not to mention artificially low cap hits for Keith and Hossa by virtue of contracts that would now be illegal for cap circumvention.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #7791
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yes but that's because they've pissed away a bunch of other cap room like idiots.

If it was just McDavid and Draisaitl and they had smart value contracts outside of them, it wouldn't be as bad. But beyond the 20+ Million they'll pay those two, check out their other contracts:

Ryan Nothing-Happens + Frankenstein Lucic = 12 Million

Sekera + Russell = 9.5 Million

No Good!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 01:43 PM   #7792
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They have won exactly zero playoff SERIES with two players tied up at about $20 million.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #7793
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Lol @ the Blackhawks comparison..

Yeah, sure the Oilers have 2 talented guys who are arguably as good as Toews and Kane, however, the Oilers need the following type players

Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Saad, Hossa, Crawford, and proper bottom 6 guys like Byfuglien who was about to become a franchise player, and Grit like Brouwer etc...

Oh and don't forget Future hall of fame coach Joel Quenville.

The Oilers are no where close to what the hawks were when they were about to offer Kane and Torws their massive paydays.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #7794
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Penguins too.

But we are not being fair. The Oilers will have to bear the burdens of having the best player in the game for years to come. It's gonna be a trainwreck, you just can't look away !!
Old 08-02-2017, 02:56 PM   #7795
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
The big question for me is if Draisaitl can create enough on his own consistently away from McDavid. We have had short sample sizes thus far. Is Draisaitl the beast during the Anaheim series? Or is he a very strong complimentary player who struggles somewhat when he is 'the guy' on a line? We don't have enough of a sample size in his young career thus far, but I would bet the truth is somewhere in the middle. On which side of the fence he leans to will be really interesting, and that is why any long-term deal with high dollars at this point carries some risk with it. He MAY not be that guy, or he may end up truly an elite center.
That's a question that might never be answered if Draisaitl stays in Edmonton.

When Detroit won their cup in 2008, Zetterberg played 60% of his playoff icetime with Datsyuk.

That was Babcock. McLellan is from that same school. I'd say odds are high that Draisaitl gets a pretty good amount of icetime with McDavid every season they are on the same team.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:33 PM   #7796
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
Penguins too.
Hey, guy. Did you just ignore the half dozen posts above yours? It's not the Penguins as well because the Hawks haven't done that. Even Malkin and Crosby don't take up 20 million, and I'd easily take that pair over Kane and Jonathan Toews. The latter being one of the most overrated players of this generation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 06:42 PM   #7797
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
That's a question that might never be answered if Draisaitl stays in Edmonton.

When Detroit won their cup in 2008, Zetterberg played 60% of his playoff icetime with Datsyuk.

That was Babcock. McLellan is from that same school. I'd say odds are high that Draisaitl gets a pretty good amount of icetime with McDavid every season they are on the same team.
So Zetterberg and Datsyuk played great in 2007-2008, and that means Drai won't have to answer if he can play away from McDavid? Well okay. I'm always amazed at the random one-off situations you can find to either support your Oilers or discredit the Flames. We'll forget about other factors to that cup win too.

Leon's going to have to produce about 25 more points to be put in that catagory.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #7798
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Niklas Lidstrom was also playing 26 minutes a game.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 02:07 AM   #7799
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Niklas Lidstrom was also playing 26 minutes a game.
About to say the same thing, thanks.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:06 AM   #7800
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Actually it's amazing to me how much I'm hearing and reading in the media that the Oilers' future is full of Stanley Cups. I get that they've improved (finally) and made some noise even, but really?

I guess time will tell but I'd be shocked if they were an actual contender this coming year. Years beyond that, who knows, every off-season sees turnover, but I don't see this coming version as much more than a top-3 in the Pacific type team. Which means they could win a round or get hot and win two. But all the way? Stranger things have happened I guess.
Closed Thread