Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2012, 04:35 AM   #981
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Cam Cunning retired and I believe is becoming a firefighter.
Yeah I think that's true. I met one of his friends before the Flames game in Tampa in December who said Cunning had a chance to go over to Europe to play, but his girlfriend/wife (I forget) is a cop in Vancouver and couldn't make the move. So I guess Cunning decided he'd retire from hockey and start a new career with the heat and the flames.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #982
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I need some serious closure with this whole Holland getting traded away thing.

Basically, the question I want to know is: Is he good because of who his teammates are this year OR is he so good that he is making his teammates better?

Holland now has 97 points in 63 games (24 goals, 73 assists).
Hughesman has 102 points in 63 games (38 goals, 64 assists).
Shinnimin 117 points in 60 games (52 goals, 65 assists).

Any possible explanations? I just can't believe we gave up Holland with the type of year he is having.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #983
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
So I need some serious closure with this whole Holland getting traded away thing.

Basically, the question I want to know is: Is he good because of who his teammates are this year OR is he so good that he is making his teammates better?

Any possible explanations? I just can't believe we gave up Holland with the type of year he is having.
It's hard to understand, especially with us being short of scoring and he's been improving beyond his rankings. The only thing I've heard is that he was holding out for a big contract.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #984
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I'm kind of curious who no one has signed Shinnimin. He's small, but is there anything really detrimental to his game besides size?
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #985
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

I think he's a decent prospect. But likely still behind Reinhart and Ferland on our depth list.

Holland does have about half the goals his linemates have. I can't tell without watching him whether he's generating offense or a beneficiary of his teammates.

We'll probably have to watch these kids turn pro and see how they turn out. I don't think Holland was one of our top prospects but he was a solid prospect.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #986
Calgary Highlander
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Baertschi with a goal and two assists against Kamloops .
Calgary Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #987
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

WHL tonight:

-Bartschi with a goal and two assist. 87 points in 44 games passing his point total from last season. Could he hit 100?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #988
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huge game for Portland and Bartschi comes up big with 3 points after being held scoreless in his last game for the first time in a long time.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #989
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Personally I look at it as Ramo for Holland. I think Ramo has more up size and a much higher chance of playing in the NHL.

Irving has almost worked himself into the top 10 among goalie prospects with the goalie guild. Karlsson jumps around a bit in the low 20's. Its tough to find much on Ramo but one quote the goalie guild had followed the Cammalleri trade:

Quote:
Calgary now has a hidden gem in Karri Ramo, and although he could play one more year in the KHL, it does raise questions about Miikka Kiprusoff’s future.
We have a bunch of Holland type prospects and players. We were light in goalie prospects. The addition of Ramo helps solidify that position giving us 3 NHL ready prospects. More bullets, better chance of hitting something.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #990
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Holland is a great prospect especially for where he was taken but there is a large chance that it might not translate into the NHL level. It would had been great having a prospect with over 100 points in junior though.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:19 AM   #991
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm still a bit mad that we gave up Holland to be honest. For a 7th rounder, he is really racking up a lot of points. That being said, I'm sure playing with overagers Shinnimin and Hughesman has boosted his point totals. Shinnimin and Hughesman have racked up a lot of points during the last 3 years, but weren't standouts in their draft years ... Shinnimin had just 25 points in his draft year, so combined with his thin 5'9 frame, it's no wonder he wasn't drafted. Hughesman was better with 48 points, I guess he was a lot closer to being drafted. They are not the first players to have stellar offensive seasons in their 20- or even 21-year-seasons. Holland is a year younger, so his numbers are a lot more impressive than those of Shinnimin and Hughesman, who will probably get an AHL deal somewhere. Kind of like Jonathan Audy-Marchessault did this year.

Back to your question: I guess all three profit from playing with each other. Holland has good vision and hockey smarts, but there are worse situations than playing with two 21-year-olds. I'm not sure either who profits the most, I guess we'll find out when Holland plays in the AHL next season ... for Hamilton *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
87 points in 44 games passing his point total from last season. Could he hit 100?
possible ... with 9 games left, he is on pace for 105 points at the moment. However, I could see him and Rattie getting less ice-time at the end of the regular season to rest them for the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
We have a bunch of Holland type prospects and players.
yeah, maybe. But when you look at position, it has to be noted that he was the ONLY (!) right winger in our prospect pool behind Nemisz. Unless you want to count ECHLer Bryan Cameron and the new guy Akim Aliu. We have a lot of LWs (Bärtschi, Ferland, Gaudreau, Howse, Bouma) and Cs (Reinhart, Horak, Byron, Arnold, Granlund, Wahl) though.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #992
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heat win 3-2 in the SO.

Howse got his 2nd goal of the season from Walter and Wilson. Howse also scored the SO winner.
Aliu scored his 7th of the season on a breakaway, which was unassisted.

Taylor stopped 31 of 33.

Last edited by Pierre "Monster" McGuire; 02-29-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #993
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reinhart scored the only goal for the Ice in a 3-1 loss against the Oil Kings.
Brossoit stopped 32 of 33 for the win.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #994
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Heat win 3-2 in the SO.

Howse got his 2nd goal of the season from Walter and Wilson. Howse also scored the SO winner.
Aliu scored his 7th of the season on a breakaway, which was unassisted.

Taylor stopped 31 of 33.
Good to see hows finally starting to put up some points. Hopefully it continues.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #995
Wronskian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

http://tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=388658

Seems as through Grigorenko is getting flak for seeming uninterested. Kind of reminds me of Getzlaf in 2003, I wonder if he will fall out of the top 10? TSN has him as a faller, I wonder if that means he might be available with our pick. I don't like Russians but his skill level is ridiculous.
Wronskian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #996
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, I thought he'd be a sure top 3 pick. Oh well. Still believe he'll go pretty high.

Button had him at #7 in his latest rankings, behind Yakupov, Dumba, Forsberg, Rielly, Galchenyuk and Reinhart.

Last edited by devo22; 03-01-2012 at 02:29 PM.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #997
Miniac
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wronskian View Post
http://tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=388658

Seems as through Grigorenko is getting flak for seeming uninterested. Kind of reminds me of Getzlaf in 2003, I wonder if he will fall out of the top 10? TSN has him as a faller, I wonder if that means he might be available with our pick. I don't like Russians but his skill level is ridiculous.
Skill is one of the many things this team requires.
Miniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #998
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't discover these site until recently, but Johnny Gaudreau was named PRO AMBITIONS ROOKIE OF THE MONTH.

Quote:
Gaudreau ecorded 13 points (7g,6a) in seven games in a 7-0 month for the Eagles. He registered team highs in points, goals and plus-minus (+11). Tallied at least one point in all seven games and posted four multiple-point efforts, including two three-point nights. Captured Beanpot MVP accolades after tallied four points (2g,2a) in two Beanpot games.
http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...02/feb28mh.php
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #999
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boston College is playing Vermont tomorrow (5:30 PM MT) and Saturday night (5:00PM MT) on CBS Sports Network. Bell (channel 413) and Rogers Cable (416) are the only ones in Canada who provide these channel.

Last edited by Drake; 03-01-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #1000
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Boston College is playing Vermont tomorrow (5:30 PM MT) and Saturday night (5:00PM MT) on CBS Sports Network. Bell (channel 413) and Rogers Cable (416) are the only ones in Canada who provide these channel.
Two assists for Arnold tonight. Nothing for Gaudreau.
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go! , oilers suck , prospects