Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #21
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just for fun since we are posting pictures..... Why not keep it going...

Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #22
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
Just for fun since we are posting pictures..... Why not keep it going...

That's shocking that urban areas with vastly more people have higher incidents of gun violence than areas where there are practically no people at all in comparison.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #23
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
That's shocking that urban areas with vastly more people have higher incidents of gun violence than areas where there are practically no people at all in comparison.
I know right .. crazy. Fun with pictures.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #24
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shooting in WA today at a McDonald's
Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #25
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews...ner-and-mother

Quote:
There were 2,500 times last year alone when legal gun owners stopped violent crime when confronted with it long before any police assistance.
http://www.mycentraljersey.com/artic...top-crimes-too
Old 01-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #26
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There were 2,500 times last year alone when legal gun owners stopped violent crime when confronted with it long before any police assistance.
Guns don't kill people, they are only pieces of metal, people kill people, but people with guns which, if you remember are only inanimate objects, can stop people from killing people. Quite the logic.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #27
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 2500 is likely highly over stated as they use surveys to assess these numbers.

The other important note is that guns used to commit crimes >>>>> than to prevent. For every robbery prevented by a gun, many more are made with a gun. It just doesn't hold water as a logical defense.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #28
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
The 2500 is likely highly over stated as they use surveys to assess these numbers.

The other important note is that guns used to commit crimes >>>>> than to prevent. For every robbery prevented by a gun, many more are made with a gun. It just doesn't hold water as a logical defense.
This is exactly my point, especially with the picture of all the killings since Sandy Hook.
And how many criminals are going to adhere to more stringent gun laws when /if they are enforced ? So logic being, the gun crimes are still going to be committed at the same rate but now there are going to 2500+ more gun crimes when law abiding citizens aren't carrying firearms

Last edited by nickerjones; 01-22-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #29
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is exactly my point, especially with the picture of all the killings since Sandy Hook.
And how many criminals are going to adhere to more stringent gun laws when /if they are enforced ? So logic being, the gun crimes are still going to be committed at the same rate but now there are going to 2500+ more gun crimes when law abiding citizens aren't carrying firearms
Straight out of the NRA handbook.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #30
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
If guns are harder to come across, fewer gun crimes will occur. Now of course, with 310 million guns in the country, that's not going to happen overnight, even with a change in laws and or attitudes. But if a system exists where guns are unusual instead of usual, and harder to get hands on, of course gun crimes will go down. Yes some criminals will still be able to circumvent the rules, but you are assuming all criminals have equal and easy access to guns, which simply isn't true in places where there are fewer guns than America. As well, it probably isn't a stretch to assume that some crime is FUELED by easy access to guns. In a system where a gun can easily be stolen from ones parents, ones neighbors, etc. many young people do take these weapons to use for their robberies, or worse, shooting sprees. Would they go ahead with these plans without easy access to guns? Probably not. Limited access to guns does limit gun crimes and crime in general. You can look at any other country to see this.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned, with 310 million guns in the States, it's going to take some time.

As for the addition of crime for people who can't defend themselves, there is no hard evidence to back that up. In fact all studies show that more accidents or mistakes are made by people with guns, than incidents that are prevented.

Last edited by Daradon; 01-22-2013 at 08:22 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #31
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, and I think about that ######ed cop who got all flustered because he couldn't pull a gun on two kids in Calgary asking if he'd been to the Stampede yet. If he had to endure the same thing in the States and did pull his gun, he'd report it as a case of his gun preventing a crime rather than his paranoia nearly causing one.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #32
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you're missing the point though. The fallacy that "as gun controls are enforced they only limit law abiding citizens" doesn't show true in EVERY situation it's been done. Less guns end up on the streets, law abiding citizens can still get their guns. How would any of these laws prevent a law abiding citizen of sound mind from getting a gun? Unless you think crimes are prevented with assault rifle?

And again, that 2500 statistic is likely very wrong
Old 01-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #33
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Straight out of the NRA handbook.
It's my 2nd Bible ... I read and study from it zealously every night after my nightly church revival.

Your responses are tiresome and boring. When are you going to start making fun of me because my opinions and views aren't shaped in the same manner as yours?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #34
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
And again, that 2500 statistic is likely very wrong
and all the numbers that you guys have reported are 100% without a doubt right on accurate... call me crazy but probably not.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #35
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
It's my 2nd Bible ... I read and study from it zealously every night after my nightly church revival.

Your responses are tiresome and boring. When are you going to start making fun of me because my opinions and views aren't shaped in the same manner as yours?
But yours are influenced by a lot of propaganda and a sick culture. This is a case where an outsider's perspective - particularly one backed by sound logic and accurate statistics, not to mention real-world comparables like other countries with similar cultures to yours but with less gun-nuttiness - is more valuable than your own.

I had to confiscate my son's ball this morning because he was playing with it in the house and was going to break something. I made a new rule - he can keep the ball, but only play with it outside. He threw a small tantrum anyway. I swear in the name of all that's holy that actually happened this morning and it reminded me of the attitude of Americans when faced with taking away their assault rifles.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #36
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Mind you, nickerjones, it's not like Canadians are perfect, either. Just look in the dog attack mega-thread for examples of people not wanting to ban pit bulls - they employ the same arguing tactics as the NRA. If they were raised in America I'm sure they'd be on your side with respect to guns (actually, most of us probably would be).
Old 01-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #37
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Mind you, nickerjones, it's not like Canadians are perfect, either. Just look in the dog attack mega-thread for examples of people not wanting to ban pit bulls - they employ the same arguing tactics as the NRA. If they were raised in America I'm sure they'd be on your side with respect to guns (actually, most of us probably would be).
Oh god...

Leave it in that thread man.

Worst parallel ever...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #38
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Should we just ignore these insane gun deaths? You have a choice to ignore this thread if you don't like it.
This thread would make sense if this was a mass shooting, but apparently any shooting in the US now qualifies. I sometimes get the sense that you guys are more interested in demonizing the US than you are in the actual issues, and this is from someone who is incredibly anti-gun.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #39
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

When are you going to provide a reasoned and intelligent response to the criticism of your position?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #40
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Sure, and I think about that ######ed cop who got all flustered because he couldn't pull a gun on two kids in Calgary asking if he'd been to the Stampede yet. If he had to endure the same thing in the States and did pull his gun, he'd report it as a case of his gun preventing a crime rather than his paranoia nearly causing one.
I've been thinking about this guy recently in light of all the debate going on around guns and gun control. For me, his attitude is at the core of a lot of this non meeting of the minds. There is no middle ground with a guy like him. If he had a gun that day he would have put it to use. I'm not saying he would have shot somebody but...who knows?

I wish a media outlet would track this guy down and ask him if he would have still reacted the same way now. I know the answer I'm sure but I'd love to hear his take on what has been going on in his country.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread