Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2024, 08:35 PM   #241
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsifree View Post
butterfly: “unbelievable and ridiculous”
fyp
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 11:01 PM   #242
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Watching butterfly in particular struggle with a thread title like that is good comedy at least. “Unbelievable and ridiculous” lol
I see the positivity brigade is still struggling to put the long knives away. Ah well, bright side is we should have plenty more opportunities to win meaningless games next April to float Jay Random's smug balloon.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 06:46 AM   #243
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
I see the positivity brigade is still struggling to put the long knives away. Ah well, bright side is we should have plenty more opportunities to win meaningless games next April to float Jay Random's smug balloon.
A. You’re the one who showed up to use that silly “BuT The ThReAd TiTLe” excuse again.

B. “Long knives”?? So you’re calling people Nazis now?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 07:42 AM   #244
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I really wish the lament every win crowd would realize that the other side of this argument isn't cheering for wins for "reasons".

They're just not losing their #### when the team won, because every team wins some games.

Losing to the Sharks isn't easy!

I consider it fortuitous that they split they actually lost a game to the Sharks in the last half of the season, and split with the Ducks.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 07:57 AM   #245
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I really wish the lament every win crowd would realize that the other side of this argument isn't cheering for wins for "reasons".

They're just not losing their #### when the team won, because every team wins some games.

Losing to the Sharks isn't easy!

I consider it fortuitous that they split they actually lost a game to the Sharks in the last half of the season, and split with the Ducks.
I was at the last Sharks game. I don’t know how they could lose that game short of shooting it into their own empty net. Everything they put on net in the first half went in. They took their foot right off the gas half way through the game and the Sharks still couldn’t get a goal until the last minute.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:17 AM   #246
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Does anyone know if Penguins fans are losing their #### over the fact the team made a late push for the playoffs -- which fell short?

They were in the 9th overall draft position at the trade deadline and finished in the 14th overall spot. They swapped places with the Flames, who were 14th at the deadline and finished 9th.

Given some of the reactions here to what the Flames did, I assume there are riots in the streets in Pittsburgh.
I mean Penguins drafted Crosby at #1 & won 3 cups in his time. They did exactly what team tank is advocating for.

The better example would have been Pittsburgh winning a few meaningless games in 2004, not finishing last & not getting the 1st overall draft pick.

The Flames & Penguins are not currently in the same build cycle; we're more like their 2004.
Once we get an elite player, win some cups, then we can react however their fan base is now.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:38 AM   #247
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Exactly. This is also why I find the "they lost the games when they mattered, but won them when they didn't" argument so odd.

They were 6 points out of a playoff spot at the trade deadline. If you turned 3 of those early season losses into wins, they would have been in a tie for the last wildcard, and maybe they don't make all the trades at the deadline.

When all is said and done, no one cares when you won or lost the games, all we see is that 38-39-5 record and 24th overall standing.

If anything, the Flames are lucky their schedule only had them playing 3 games each against San Jose and Anaheim because if they had played 4, they'd likely have an extra 4 points (at least 2 to pass New Jersey).
Old 04-22-2024, 08:42 AM   #248
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I mean Penguins drafted Crosby at #1 & won 3 cups in his time. They did exactly what team tank is advocating for.
Well, although they tanked the season before the lockout, that had little to do with their win of the draft lottery. After the locked out season, the probability of winning the lottery was determined by the number of seasons each team had qualified for the playoffs in the past 3 seasons and the number of 1st overall picks the team had in the previous 4 drafts. Having not qualified for the playoffs for 3 seasons and not having a 1st overall pick in the last 4 drafts, the Penguins (and the Sabres, Jackets, and Rangers) had 3 balls in the draft lottery.

Sadly, the Flames, in spite of having 2 balls in that lottery (and if they had not badly lost the lottery, should have picked 5th to 14th), fell an astonishing number of places to pick Matt Pelech with the 5th last selection (26th overall) of the 1st round. To add insult to injury, with the order of selection reversed in the 2nd round, what would have been the 5th pick of that round for the Flames had been traded to the Sharks.

Last edited by Macindoc; 04-22-2024 at 08:45 AM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post: