Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2023, 12:19 AM   #21
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Hasan and thought his prior show was good. Leguizamo also seemed pretty funny and comfortable in the role, but I like Hasan the most for his energy and perspectives.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 11:00 AM   #22
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The niche seems to be a comedian who is capable of being serious, and actually carrying a political discussion in real time. Short list (for me) would be Al Franken (although he might be a little gunshy given his history and potential aspirations, he would be an excellent frequent guest), Kal Penn (has the prerequisite political ability plus can entertain), John Leguizamo (always loved this guy, can literally do it all, but has a lot on his plate and seems to like it that way. Having one gig that takes all of his time might be a no-go). Curious about people I have never seen, like Desi Lydic. Maybe new blood is the way to go, like Noah was at the time.

A pure comedian might not have the underlying political ability, no matter how engaging they are. It's a tough gig to do day in day out. Dennis Miller?
Old 04-09-2023, 11:12 AM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The niche seems to be a comedian who is capable of being serious, and actually carrying a political discussion in real time. Short list (for me) would be Al Franken (although he might be a little gunshy given his history and potential aspirations, he would be an excellent frequent guest), Kal Penn (has the prerequisite political ability plus can entertain), John Leguizamo (always loved this guy, can literally do it all, but has a lot on his plate and seems to like it that way. Having one gig that takes all of his time might be a no-go). Curious about people I have never seen, like Desi Lydic. Maybe new blood is the way to go, like Noah was at the time.

A pure comedian might not have the underlying political ability, no matter how engaging they are. It's a tough gig to do day in day out. Dennis Miller?
Comedians actually have an intriguing range of skills.

For instance, I am someone who....granted, many moons ago, was a debater, and I can tell you conclusively that Trevor Noah is absolutely first rate at controlling a discussion and an opponent.

Its a big reason why on this board you'll see me rail against politicians that cant think on their feet, are insanely boring or cant control a conversation.

For instance, Trudeau is a moron, Poilievre I havent figured yet but am leaning towards moron and Singh is actually excellent at it. Jagmeet Singh is an excellent speaker.

And I'm saying that Trevor Noah is a couple of echelons better than that.

Being able to control a conversation so that you can make it interesting, but still poignant, without turning into a complete scream-fest debacle actually takes a lot of real talent and skill.

And comedians who have had to 'run a room' routinely? Its like second nature to them.

So it doesnt surprise me too much when when someone like Zelensky is so cool rolling with the punches.

If he wasnt too busy with more important things I wouldnt be upset if he got a look at this job.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2023, 12:13 PM   #24
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excited to see some of the correspondants get their shot. All of them have some chops IMO. Klepper and Kosta are both great, but feel they are more on the Colbert Report side of things where they do better with the ultra-conservative hyperbole character. Desi Lydic is really funny I think she has an outside shot among some of the heavier hitters. Ronny Chieng is also great. Dulce Sloan has made me laugh each time she's been on too. They have a pretty good roster of people at the moment.
Old 04-09-2023, 01:31 PM   #25
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Silverman or Penn are probably the closest to replacing Stweart proper. Chelsea Handler needs a bit of a leash but can straight up grow into it.

Those would be my 3 choices.

I miss the daily show, I miss Jon Stewart's ability to absolutely crater sitting Government and offer intelligent insight and solutions to the dumb stuff .gov would be doing. Add in the ability to absolutely go toe to toe with Fox and come put on top was the cherry.

Fox made horrible mistakes bringing Stewart on and having him K.O them on their channel.
Old 04-09-2023, 01:50 PM   #26
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

I don't have too much hope for Desi unless she seriously dials back her over exaggeration when she is the host. Some of my least favorite bits on The Daily Show are hers because they go to an extreme but just aren't funny. Kosta is a bit like that as well but for the most part his bits are still funny. Klepper should be good though and I think Sloan could be really strong.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote