Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #1221
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Tomasz Kunspellable is upset with United, its kind of a mild gripe, but hes got a point.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...united?cc=5901

tl;dr is that hes disappointed that he waited until Van der Sar retired and then Fergie replaced him with De Gea who has been hot and cold, to say the least.
haha, that is hilarious. Kuzsczak was outperformed by Lindegaard and even by Amos, end of story. He's crazy if he really thought that United would not sign a new keeper after Van der Sar's retirement and go on with him in goal. The question was not IF United would sign a new one, but just WHO.

Van Persie is unbelievable. Without him, Arsenal would be screwed ...

Last edited by devo22; 03-03-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #1222
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Typical Liverpool.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #1223
NBC
Account closed at user's request.

Exp:

^ Could have, but didn't. This is karma for the over-inflated scoreline in the FA Cup 5th round match against Brighton.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #1224
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

When will refs learn not to fall for Suarez's antics. Another dive for the biggest embarrassment of the premiership.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #1225
KTown
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

MVP!!!! Enough said. Now a spurs lost to united this week-end will keep us 4 back of 3rd, which a month ago I thought was well out of reach. Top 3 this year would be an accomplishment!

The Following User Says Thank You to KTown For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #1226
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheevers View Post
When will refs learn not to fall for Suarez's antics. Another dive for the biggest embarrassment of the premiership.
I'm sure when they decide to eliminate diving they will eliminate Suarez's dives too.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #1227
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nicely done West Brom.

Watching Chelsea fail has been a form of entertainment all on its own. I hope AVB didnt spend too much on a place in London.

Damned Norwich, you should have beaten Stoke! I hope Norwich stay up this season. Get rid of boring teams like Wigan and Bolton and get Blackpool back up here.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #1228
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel sorry for AVB. He is trying to do the right thing but is being undermined at every turn. Whoever comes in after AVB has their work cut out - especially so if Roman isn't prepared to spill a serious amount of cash.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #1229
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would take AVB if Harry goes to England in a second

he's not the problem, he has a system that he likes to play (high tempo) that would work perfect at Spurs

it won't work with these players at Chelsea outside Ramires, Mata, and Sturridge, and the fact that Frank/JT/Cech/Cashley have ran that room since Mourinho left doesn't help as well
Old 03-04-2012, 01:44 AM   #1230
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

While the RVP smash and grab was my highlight of the day, this guy was a close second:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Montana Moe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #1231
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

as per BBC, Andre Villas-Boas was sacked by Chelsea today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17250464
Old 03-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #1232
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
I feel sorry for AVB. He is trying to do the right thing but is being undermined at every turn. Whoever comes in after AVB has their work cut out - especially so if Roman isn't prepared to spill a serious amount of cash.
Although I love seeing Chelsea lose, I feel really bad for the guy. He received an excellent grooming at Porto and looks to have the know-how, however, he wasn't given the time and support to properly turn things around at Stamford Bridge. Abramovich finally had a manager that could build the team he wanted but his pride and desire for short-term success made him half-ass it. Ironically, if he had just written off this season from the start as a rebuilding year they would be much better off in the long term and probably be in the position in the table.

Diane has it right, if AVB were to manage a team like Arsenal, Spurs, or even Swansea he'd be able to find success faster. Both North London clubs would love to have him as their current manager's replacement. To be honest, I think he'd be a better long term option for Spurs than 'Arry as he would build Spurs like Wegner built Arsenal.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Old 03-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #1233
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wouldn't want to be Chelsea's next manager that's for sure. Tough situation to sort out now.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #1234
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
as per BBC, Andre Villas-Boas was sacked by Chelsea today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17250464
Haha! And the Chelsea dressing room wins again.

AVB was setup to fail, he was handed a grenade and there was nothing he could do about it. Its not his fault Torres cant score, no one can defend, etc. He was handed an ageing team with an entrenched core group that didnt want to relinquish control.

I hope AVB lands on his feet, he'd be a good manager for a lot of teams, but I'm sure King Roman paid him handsomely for his time.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #1235
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
He was handed an ageing team with an entrenched core group that didnt want to relinquish control.
Sounds kind of familiar, but I can't quite place it!
The Following User Says Thank You to mac_82 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #1236
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

frustrating game today for a number of reasons

I don't know why Harry puts Modric on the left sometimes, he's a great player there it's not the problem, but he's the best CM in the league why move him

it's the same thing Sven used to do putting Gerrard out on the left so that Lampard could play too

that being said Livermore and Sandro outplayed Carrick and Scholes today in the centre

thats twice in 3 weeks Saha has had a whole net to shoot at from 4 yards out where he hit a spurs player inexplicably standing on the goal line

United should be in for a period of about 38 years of losing a bunch of games where they outplay the other team for what has gone on under fergie there, you can't even call it lucky because they do it all the time
Old 03-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #1237
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

this is fergies game plan every week

Old 03-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #1238
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

well I understand that you're frustrated with the loss, but it's hardly Ferguson's or United's fault that Tottenham failed to turn their possession into something countable. The Spurs outplayed United especially in the first half, but they didn't generate enough chances. They only had two dangerous ones in the first 45 minutes, and that was a save by De Gea on an Adebayor shot plus the waved-off goal (btw, how many handballs did Adebayor have yesterday? ). With all the possession and their domination in the first half, they should have had more chances, but they failed in generating any. And then Rooney punished them.

You could see United's experience in those games, and they punished Tottenham for individual mistakes: Walker's marking of Rooney was bad on the first goal and he left Young alone on the third goal, plus Modric got absolutely fooled by Nani on the second goal.

I was disappointed by the midfield because before the game I felt that Scholes/Carrick would be able to outplay Sandro/Livermore, but they didn't. But I was impressed with Ferdinand and Evans yesterday. Especially Evans - I have often been critical of his play, but he was very solid yesterday.

Extra credit to the referees yesterday. Didn't see any mistake at all.

I like Tottenham. Actually the first game I saw at Old Trafford was a game against the Spurs ... they have a very good team this year and they often play nice football, but their record against the top teams this year speaks for itself: they are not ready to challenge for the championship title yet.

Last edited by devo22; 03-05-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #1239
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Evans was really good yesterday

I was crediting fergie because he has a knack for having his team get outplayed and still winning

at this point it's not a fluke, he is obviously doing something right because it happens all the time
Old 03-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #1240
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
MIKEL ARTETA has written an open letter to Liverpool to thank the club and their fans for their support after his Anfield injury scare.

The Arsenal midfielder was carried off on a stretcher in the 2-1 away win following an accidental clash with Jordan Henderson off the ball.

But despite being given the all-clear since — bar a week's rest which will see him miss the Champions League clash with AC Milan — the Spaniard wanted to express his gratitude to all those that assisted in his treatment.

The former Everton star wrote: "I just want to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their help and friendship towards me on Saturday.

"After my accident on the pitch, the Arsenal medical staff did a great job, together with everyone at Liverpool Football Club.

"From Anfield, I was taken straight to the Aintree University Hospital, where they checked me, just as precaution.

"Everything was fine and I was able to travel from the hospital and join up with my teammates for the train journey back to London.

"I've since looked back at the TV images of when I was being taken off and just want to show my appreciation to the Liverpool fans at Anfield.

"It is touching to receive that response from the fans of a great club when I am leaving the pitch injured. Thank you.

"I also want to thank Pepe Reina and the Liverpool players who have sent me messages of support and friendship, this again is really touching and just shows class from a great football club.

"And very importantly, a message to all the fantastic Arsenal fans, not only all those at Anfield on Saturday who were brilliant, but also those who have sent me many messages since Saturday.

"It is hugely appreciated. I cannot tell you how much this means to me.

"It must have looked very serious to everyone as I left the pitch on a stretcher, but I'm pleased to say that I'm fine now and hope to be back on the pitch very soon.

"Thank you everyone.

"Mikel Arteta"
Classy statement by Arteta, and nice one by the Liverpool fans who applauded a former Toffee off the pitch.

Liverpool fans have been given a lot of grief this season - it is only fair they get credit where it is deserved.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread