Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2023, 06:54 PM   #161
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I lasted longer than usual this time. It has been difficult to get into the show the last few seasons.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 10:43 PM   #162
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree, this season is not that great. Even though i havn't lost a player, it's been just not that good.

Next year, when the Survivor Au comes out. I think I'll try a pool. The show is so much better and really does need a to have it's own pool.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2023, 09:13 AM   #163
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just fast forward to each of the challenges and tribal.
20 minute watch.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 10:46 AM   #164
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
I agree, this season is not that great. Even though i havn't lost a player, it's been just not that good.

Next year, when the Survivor Au comes out. I think I'll try a pool. The show is so much better and really does need a to have it's own pool.
I haven't watched any of it but what makes it better? just more of a traditional style Survivor game?

I think that this vote makes sense for the 3 who are still from the same tribe, forget most of their names and the tribe name. But it gaurantees they can make the final 5.

That guy with the glasses thinks he can beat everyone, but the eccentric girl will take him down in the final I think. But he can use her as a shield maybe to sneak into the top 3 as she will be target number one.

Yam Yam will end up winning this I think though if he can get out both of his tribe mates.

If the final is those 3 interchangeable women I probably won't even watch, just google the winner.

Hopefully they do something to save this show because I am sure they have something massive planned for the 50th season, but you have to actually make it to 50.
Old 05-22-2023, 10:48 AM   #165
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
This cast sucks, the immunity challenge lasted like 4 minutes lol. I'd have a really hard time voting for any of them if i was in the jury.

I honestly think id vote jamjam or yamyam or whatever he goes by just for being able to cockroach the longest, he was almost voted off in the first couple episodes but found a way to stick around.

This might be the last season for me, finding they get worse and worse, until they fix their casting this show doesnt offer much anymore
They honestly should just bring back Russell Hantz.

Call him Wade Peterson and try and change his look a bit and just drop him right into the middle of these lambs slathered in BBQ sauce. It would be fun to watch.
Old 05-22-2023, 11:23 PM   #166
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I haven't watched any of it but what makes it better? just more of a traditional style Survivor game?
The vast majority of the cast are actually physically fit enough to want to, and make an impact in the challenges which usually are pretty physical. In the American version it's always the same people wanting to sit out consistently.

The episodes are significantly longer (90 minutes televised AUS vs 60 minutes televised US). I'm pretty sure I was able to break it down and noticed that there was 16-18 minutes post immunity challenge in USA vs 34-38 minutes post immunity challenge in AUS. It gives you a lot more time to watch the players strategize and come up with plans prior to tribal council which for me is the biggest difference between the two.

I would seriously recommend giving a past AUS season a try. I don't think you will be disappointed. I certainly was not as someone who just started watching AUS survivor the past 2 seasons.
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 09:22 PM   #167
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought I heard rumours that the next season will be 90 mins. That will help I guess. I fear that this ‘new’ era of survivor is played out but I never liked it to begin with.

The players all are expecting the same that they’ve seen on 43 and 44. The games too fast, the episodes are too short, the edits too confusing by omitting key things. You have an amazing AU version to literally just copy. Do it. Find interesting athletic competitors, make the challenges physically gruelling and competitive, show more game strategy, throw in twists rather than give away ridiculous powers for going on a hike, and stop allowing people to gamble their frigging votes.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 01:09 PM   #168
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I think that this vote makes sense for the 3 who are still from the same tribe, forget most of their names and the tribe name. But it gaurantees they can make the final 5.

That guy with the glasses thinks he can beat everyone, but the eccentric girl will take him down in the final I think. But he can use her as a shield maybe to sneak into the top 3 as she will be target number one.

Yam Yam will end up winning this I think though if he can get out both of his tribe mates.

If the final is those 3 interchangeable women I probably won't even watch, just google the winner.

Hopefully they do something to save this show because I am sure they have something massive planned for the 50th season, but you have to actually make it to 50.
Just need to watch any of the last 3 seasons and you’ll get it. The comparison is night and day. I would not be saying this 5 / 6 years ago.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:46 AM   #169
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well another hohum season done with a winner who basically rode coattails the entire way. Yet Jeff suggests it was one of the best .

Yam Yam made people happy, and that is a recipe for success in this game. But he also showed us in this scene with Carson and the fire that his bonds went well beyond humor. Whether it was a strategic move because he figured showing such concern for Carson would guarantee him Carson's vote from the jury, or it was just a genuine display of friendship and helping out a tribemate clearly in a vulnerable emotional state does not really matter

But we also need to talk about Carolyn. Mostly because I always want to talk about Carolyn, but also because she came so close to becoming the most unexpected winner in Survivor history. Carolyn was the first face we saw and the first voice we heard this entire season.

There was Carolyn Wiger, sitting there preparing for a confessional interview with a producer, and she wasn't even sure what she was supposed to do. "So I'm just, like, talking?" she asked. At that moment, we knew we had some classic comedic relief coming our way this season, and Carolyn definitely delivered in that department.

But even though Carolyn was an absolute delight to watch all season long, and Heidi Lagares-Greenblatt was a 100 percent certified badass down the stretch — winning both the final immunity challenge and dominating at fire — I don't know how anyone could be truly unhappy with this result.

https://ew.com/tv/recaps/survivor-44...-recap-winner/

/bleh

Yam Yam takes the glory and ChuckieNZ and csnarpy split the CPHL virtual 1 Million dollar prize. I ended up with two of the three people in the final three and zip to show for it LOL.

1. WhiteTiger - Matt Grinstead-Mayle / Helen Li
2. ChuckieNZ - Yamil “Yam Yam” Arocho / Heidi Lagares-Greenblat
3. Cheese - Heidi Lagares-Greenblat / Carolyn Wiger
4. brocoli - Kane "The Candian Ginger" Fritzler/Brandon Cottom
5. Barnes - Claire Rafson/Carson Garrett
6. transplant99 - Josh Wilder/Frannie Marin
7. jroc - Maddy Pomilla/Sarah Wade
8. dino7c - Carson Garrett/Lauren Harpe
9. surferguy - Bruce Perrault/***chosen under protest*** Jaime Lynn Ruiz
10. Fuzz - Matt Blankinship/Maddy Pomilla
11. TheIronMaiden -Jaime Lynn Ruiz/Bruce Perrault
12. csnarpy - Carolyn Wiger / Yam Yam Arocho
13. Yoho - Frannie Marin/Claire Rafson
14. speede5 - Sarah Wade/Kane Fritzler
15. jg13 - Danny Massa/Matt Grinstead-Mayle
16. bigtmac19 - Brandon Cottom/Danny Massa
17. savardandjokinen - Helen Li/Matt Blankinship
18. KootenayFlamesFan - Lauren Harpe/Josh Wilder
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 06:53 AM   #170
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well overall pretty forgettable season but I am happy that Yamyam won and Carolyn got zero votes. I finally learned Heidis name cause she finally did something on the the last episode of the show, otherwise completely forgettable cast member.

As stated before i would have had a very hard time writing any name down but Yamyam was the best of the worst, his staying power despite being an early vote almost every tribal in the beginning was impressive. Absolute elite floater but sometimes thats all it takes, as mentioned good relationships and knowing how to get by, his game although not overly impressive to me, was very effective.

Ill reluctantly watch 45 cause what else do i have to do. But the leash gets shorter haha
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 09:28 PM   #171
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meeeeeh.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 12:48 AM   #172
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

What comes out first the next AU or Survivor 45?
Old 05-27-2023, 01:00 AM   #173
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Decent article about whats wrong with Survivor today

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...o-fix-survivor
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2023, 08:03 AM   #174
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Survivor is at its best when you have a diverse cast of characters. And while CBS did literally pass a diversity quota for casting their unscripted shows, the show somehow feels less diverse than ever. Every season feels like it's filled with the same characters. Super fan baristas from Williamsburg who have a sad story to tell. We need more diversity in characters, not just in demographics. And this is not me saying CBS should get rid of the diversity quota. I think that's totally fine to keep and shouldn't be an issue. But they need to also cast different personalities. You need the old guy who's just there for the adventure. You need the hot girls there for a tanning trip. You need the dumb jocks there to flex their abs and dominate challenges. You need the nerdy super fans. You need the total wild cards and weirdos. You need the great social players. You need it all. These last four seasons have all run together in my brain because it feels like the same cast every season.
I think CBS is scared to take chances with casting. I think they are worried to cast the diverse contestants as villians, jerks, jocks, beach babes, or old cranky men, etc.

Why? Because they could be seen as a stereotype or that the show is casting a minority into that role and face backlash. It risks causing an internet storm of backlash.

So you need to cast all the diverse hires into a good person, good (or sad) backstory role. They leads them to be much more polite and less controversial with each other, and disincentivises taking risk on the show.

I think having the majority of the contestants cast like this also limits the play style that can naturally emerge.

Thanks goodness Yam Yam had Carolyn to allow some of his character and personality to shine. I actually think Yam Yam may be a super strong player and would love to see him in an all stars episode where we has more freedom and is pushed to play an elite game vs a safe game. (And playing the safe game was 100% the right move with this cast)

In todays version of survivor you basically try to keep your head down as long as possible vs true strategic play.

And PLEASE change the challenges. They are beyond repetitive and boring. Run an obstacle course that has no bearing on the outcome then work on a puzzle we've seen 10 times before for 15 minutes. Horrid
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2023, 12:10 AM   #175
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
What comes out first the next AU or Survivor 45?
Survivor AU is an annual event so expect it to come out sometime in January. The next Survivor US comes out in the fall.
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2023, 07:34 PM   #176
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Decent article about whats wrong with Survivor today

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...o-fix-survivor
Sounds like Survivor AUS
Old 05-30-2023, 10:03 PM   #177
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terrible season. That’s it for me. It was a good show but the last what 8-10 seasons haven’t been good at all.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 06:27 AM   #178
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last night I ffwd past the reunion stuff that I skipped last week to see the preview for next season, and I couldn't even make it through that. I'm probably out.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:21 AM   #179
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I will agree with many that this was a pretty boring season. We only saw one really big move, Danny's, and that painted a target so big on his back nobody else would dare try to repeat it. Danny is about 10 seasons to late on his gameplay unfortunately.

Heidi tried really hard I will give her that, but she was far to little far to late. She tried to play that idol at one point and got zero votes that tribal council, which shows how out of tune she was with the game itself. She won the final immunity, grats, and I will give her props for building the fire. But like I said, this was to little to late. You can't float and then press down on the gas at the final 4. I honestly could not remember who was who between Jamie, Lauren and Heidi.

Combine this with her plan at the final tribal to throw everyone else under the bus while shamelessly plugging her diversity as an accomplishment and the reason she should get votes... while sitting next to an openly gay Puerto Rican immigrant... lol

I honestly though Carolyn was the odds favourite to win going in, but Yam Yam definitely did a better job selling himself at the final tribal council. I actually thought he played really well and deserved the win. He was very likeable but at the same time had a very intense side that he would flare up when necessary to smoke out peoples plans then bat his eyes and play the lamb role when necessary to let the 'strategic threats' feel comfortable.

Carolyn did this even better though, which made me very surprised nobody voted for her. I honestly felt we might for once have a pretty close split vote between Carolyn and Yam Yam. She was the most under rated player in Survivor history I think. I have a hard time believing she won't be back at some point if she wants it.

Overall it was a meh season, I am happier with the outcome than say someone like the three floaters winning. I do wish Carson could have taken it as he was probably the most deserving on the cast with his strategic play, physical play, puzzles, preparation etc.. etc.. but that is in the inherent flaw with this game now. You can dominate the game to the end but you lose one fricken challenge and Floater McFloaterson comes in and decides your fate. HUUUUUGE flaw. I am not sure how they fix it, but it needs to go away.

I am also a sucker like everyone else and will keep watching, but I am really holding out hope that Season 50 has something big for us. I am hoping they do something like pick 50 players and let the fans vote on who shows up or something. it could still be a secret because you just don't reveal the results to us and them go film.

But the reality is that this show is more concerned with appearing to be 'on trend' than casting an entertaining group of players. I haven't watched AUS but you guys talking about it just reiterates the fact that this is really an American thing and probably isn't going away any time soon.

Is there any legal way to watch AUS seasons?

Last edited by GreenLantern; 06-01-2023 at 09:25 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 10:16 AM   #180
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Is there any legal way to watch AUS seasons?

VPN set to Australia,

https://10play.com.au/australian-survivor

If that doesnt work the old TD Torrents works well (need an invite, PM me?)

Last edited by Cheese; 06-01-2023 at 10:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post: