Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #121
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
I hope he does succeed, I honestly do.

My issue was never with his campaign promises, or the fact that he has a nice resume. It all came down to experience for me, and I know I'm not the only one who thought that way. Yes McIver wasn't flashy, and didn't have nice purple posters, but he did have a working knowledge of the bureaucracy in the city, which I think should have gotten more emphasis than it did.
See, that's one of the big knocks on why I didn't vote McIvor, because he's too comfortable with how the city works. I want new blood in there that hasn't been tainted by the old process.

Call me pessimistic, but it is my firm belief that ALL politicians are corrupt, and that they all receive benefits under the table, to varying degrees. The difference is who is less corrupt and won't go overboard with all the cash under the table. To me, McIvor seems like a prime guy already set up to take over the gravy train after Bronco leaves.

So in a way, I'm glad it's an academic sitting in the mayor's chair rather than a greasy politician that's been in council for so many years. Time will tell if Nenshi will do a good joob or not, but I'm willing to give him a chance.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #122
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
This.

Anonymity is a wonderful thing.

So is stirring the pot. Thanks for some morning entertainment CP.

Now I'm off to work on my campaign. Looks like I have a bit of work to do.
Can you save me a Double Down? I heard they sell out pretty fast.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #123
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
Can you save me a Double Down? I heard they sell out pretty fast.
You betcha.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #124
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Deerfoot was awful this AM - how much time does he need??

Grade: F-

Deerfoot is a provincial highway.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #125
frege64
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Ralph Klein isn't Jewish. "Klein" isn't always a Jewish surname- our monsignor at my church when I was a kid was "Father Klein." Ralph's mom's maiden name was Harper- definitely mainstream white northern European Albertan.

And can we please nix this rumour that Naheed is gay? It's taking on a life of its own. He is the most non-homophobic straight man you'd ever want to meet but he has enough BS discussing/defending his background to contend with without having to deny these rumours, especially when doing so makes it look as if he feels that being gay is anything to have to defend.

He's not gay. End of story. There's plenty of non-rumours to talk about concerning him and the mayoralty he'll be organizing.
frege64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #126
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm.

Sounds like a conspiracy to be debunked..... Now if only we had some truthers to get to the bottom of this.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
Old 10-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #127
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

A big positive for Nenshi is he has never chased money. Personal wealth does not appear to be his motivation. His Harvard degree earned him a plush appointment with an international consulting company which would, if he stuck with it, lead to mega bucks. Instead he came back to Calgary, and became a professor. He wrote a book on how to make cities in Canada better.

He is following his passion, and that showed in his campaign. He may or may not succeed as Calgary's mayor, but he's not doing it for personal wealth, of that I'm certain.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #128
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think what has resonated with me is that Nenshi is the first person running for public office that I honestly trust. I'm not naive to think he's going to deliver on all the promises he has proposed, but I feel like he will work his hardest to try to do as much as he can. Rather than just paying lip service like so many before him do, I feel like really does want to implement his ideas. The guy just seems a lot more genuine and real.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #129
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Hmm well I have the business degree.

Working towards a CFA charter. I've also volunteered with lots of charities. If I can just somehow teach at the U of C I should be set.
Soooo a masters from Harvard is comparable to an incomplete CFA? Volunteering with "lots of" charities is the same as providing global strategy to the UN? The same as designing non-profit policies for the province of Alberta? The same as being a Chairman of the Epcor Centre for Performing Arts? Was one of your research papers "pretty much the same as" writing a book about municipal development?

You're right, the only difference between you and Nenshi is the teaching job..
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TopChed For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #130
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
Soooo a masters from Harvard is comparable to an incomplete CFA? Volunteering with "lots of" charities is the same as providing global strategy to the UN? The same as designing non-profit policies for the province of Alberta? The same as being a Chairman of the Epcor Centre for Performing Arts? Was one of your research papers "pretty much the same as" writing a book about municipal development?

You're right, the only difference between you and Nenshi is the teaching job..
You clearly have missed the entire point of any of my posts. Throughout the entire thing I've been using sarcasm. In no way am I actually comparing my achievements, one year out of University, to his. But way to be a complete jack ass.

Last edited by IliketoPuck; 10-21-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #131
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You clearly have missed the entire point of any of my posts. Throughout the entire thing I've been using sarcasm. In no way am I actually comparing my achievements, two years out of University, to his. But way to be a complete jack ass.
Taking you word for word makes me a jack ass? The post I quoted goes on to explain why being a tenured professor might not be a good pre-requisite to be mayor. I'm assuming that part was serious. So when it's convenient, you'll make a real argument, and when you're completely off base, it's sarcasm. Got it.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #132
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Deerfoot is a provincial highway.
Hey now, no need to crap in his cornflakes. Let him have his fun, alongside those who think the SWRR will bankrupt the City, and those who think the Airport Tunnel will cost $500 million.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #133
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
Taking you word for word makes me a jack ass? The post I quoted goes on to explain why being a tenured professor might not be a good pre-requisite to be mayor. I'm assuming that part was serious. So when it's convenient, you'll make a real argument, and when you're completely off base, it's sarcasm. Got it.
My post about the university professors at a certain business school was in no way sarcasm, and I think it is a very valid argument. It is absolutely no coincidence that the U of C was ranked as one of the lowest universities in the country recently. If he was a professor at Harvard then I don't even bring that point up, but he wasn't.

What makes a good prerequisite to be Mayor? That's the entirety of my debate over whether or not I think Nenshi was the best candidate for the position. By using sarcasm to illustrate my point. However you latched onto my personal "accolades" as gospel to me being actually serious, which just makes me feel like you are more interested in taking a personal pot-shot at me than actually debating with me.

The way you vote is completely up to you, and if you think that Nenshi best represents your interests as a constituent, then all the power to you for voting for him. It was my personal belief that some form of experience with the way Calgary works was a necessity to having a successful and smooth transition from Bronco to his successor.

Am I completely off base?? Is this sarcastic enough or does it need some more added in? Do you need me to go through all of my previous posts and put all the sarcasm in green for you so you can understand more clearly what I am trying to debate? Or would you like me to post my resume on CP, so you can go ahead and tell me why I'm not as qualified as Nenshi to be mayor, and while you're at it you could take some more pot shots at me.

I am curious what makes Nenshi the best choice in your eyes. In mine he didn't have enough experience, and that's why I didn't vote for him.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #134
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really wonder how Nenshi's going to go about transforming city administration like he wants to. The city, CPS, everything public is run by unions.

Everyone I've talked to that's worked for the city agrees with Nenshi's stance about the city being a soul destroying place. Departments heads spend to budget so they budgets don't get cut the following years, new employees getting told not to work so hard so they don't make the long timers (union lifers) look bad, coupled with the fact that the whole thing is run by unions that make it impossible to fire anyone, Nenshi's going to have a real tough time.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #135
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I am curious what makes Nenshi the best choice in your eyes. In mine he didn't have enough experience, and that's why I didn't vote for him.
This is a valid point. However, it undermines him when you start downplaying his personal achievements, achievements that many people believe are more than enough to be mayor of Calgary.

Nenshi has been my choice since I read his policy in the summer, when other major candidates' websites were still full of generic, vague fluff about a "better Calgary." At the same time, Nenshi was releasing specific strategies once a week. He also responded to other candidates' platforms, and he shares many of the beliefs I value. Aside from that, I've also met him a few times and he always did seem like a genuinely good person.

I'm not trying to take away from your main argument. It's perfectly reasonable to question his lack of hands-on government involvement. For myself, it might be a positive considering he seems to know enough without actually making some of the mistakes that McIver has. For you, obviously it isn't. That argument makes sense to me. I just don't think you can mitigate Nenshi's accomplishments (sarcastic or not) to try and better your argument. Personally, I think his resume is impressive, and does pertain to politics, despite not being involved in them directly.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #136
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

There we go.

Thanks for the well thought out post.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #137
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

And my issue isn't that he doesn't have an impressive resume, he does. My concern is with the practical experience, how he will deal with the bureaucracy and red tape that McIver has dealt with for 20 years.

There is a big difference between being able to talk about theories and strategies, and being able to implement them effectively, while maintaining positive relationships with the various bureaucrats in the city. McIver may not have been flashy, but he sure had working knowledge of how this city functions.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #138
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Probably could have saved yourself a lot of typing and us a lot of reading if you just posted, the above with a slight addition.

That all that explains why some people voted for him and you didn't. Simple, logical and totally understandable. You value political experience, others don't as much.

ahh for fata sake, someone elser said the same thing while I was writing that
But isn't that the point of CP?

To veil sarcasm and watch the hilarity ensue?

The 9/11 thread seems to be going strong, even though it was clearly all a conspiracy by the illuminati to start the Iraq war with the end game plan being Nenshi elected as Mayor of Calgary.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #139
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
And my issue isn't that he doesn't have an impressive resume, he does. My concern is with the practical experience, how he will deal with the bureaucracy and red tape that McIver has dealt with for 20 years.

There is a big difference between being able to talk about theories and strategies, and being able to implement them effectively, while maintaining positive relationships with the various bureaucrats in the city. McIver may not have been flashy, but he sure had working knowledge of how this city functions.
These are all valid to me. And I guess the main difference between your standpoint and others on this board is just about whether or not he can be successful without having played a part in council before.

None of us know at this point how things will work out with Nenshi, but to me, that was better than the more certain future that I saw with McIver in office.
The Following User Says Thank You to TopChed For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #140
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

If people are unhappy with what council has been doing, and it appears that a lot of people are, then either they believe McIver, as a part of that council, has the wrong ideas or hasn't been able to implement them effectively; either way you slice that one, it doesn't show his experience in a positive light. Apparently, knowing how the city functions and knowing how it should function/how to fix it are very different.
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote