Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2017, 12:07 AM   #41
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of options.

I think for me Hunter Smith is a long-term project, and thus the only thing I expect from him is progression. I wouldn't call him out as a player with lots to prove yet.

In the AHL, it is Shinkaruk, Poirier and Wotherspoon.

Shinkaruk needs to show that his game is translatable. The Canucks gave up on him due to Benning thinking that his game was not translatable. So far, and I really hate to think this, it seems he had a point. I have never been very keen on Shinkaruk as a prospect, but was hoping when he came here he could add something to the team. Every time I see him, I don't see what he is adding. He is not fast, he is not really very skilled or slippery, he is not a great playmaker, he doesn't have an awesome shot, and I don't see any intangibles like grit, or a high compete level. I just always see 'meh'. He has to step up this season and just show something that is NHL calibre.

Poirier just needs to show that his demons are behind him and that he is capable of moving forward again in life. I really believe that if he does that, things will just start falling into place for him.

Wotherspoon just needs to show that he can be as dependable in the NHL as he is in the AHL. No easy task. I find it is his consistency that keeps him from solidifying a spot. He looks great at first, and then seems to just burn-out or something (Kulak too).

I don't include Jankowski. For me, Jankowski has kept proving himself almost every year, and has shown progression each season since the draft. I do expect him to make the team, but I also think contract status and waiver eligibility (asset management) plays a role here. I just expect him to continue to progress.

I think Gillies needs to show his health concerns are behind him, and that he is a high calibre goalie prospect this season. Last year was (for me anyway) his first year pro and a season in which to get his feet wet at that level.

This name hasn't been brought up yet, and maybe I am alone here, but I want Fox to prove that last season's numbers wasn't just 'everything going right'. I would be happy if he hits around the same level offensively as he did last season in the NCAA. I have been really turning my head at his play, especially at that summer showcase where I thought he was not just good offensively, but was pushing the pace offensively for his team while still being reliable defensively. I think he has proved his worth to me already, but I would still be a heck of a lot more comfortable to see him at least repeat last season's numbers.

Pribyl is a name that for me has to show more. He looked good, but the kid (well, he is 24, but still a kid compared to me) couldn't stay healthy. I do think that if he manages to stay healthy he will just have a good season. His contract is up after this year (like everyone being mentioned), so I do think he needs to show a bit more than he has.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 01:08 AM   #42
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Shinkaruk. I keep thinking he would explode beside Monahan and Gaudreau. He can shoot and he has the appropriate amount of sandpaper to his game.
2. Poirier. His personal issues probably facilitated his slide in play. This is a big year for the dude.best of luck.
3. Pribyl. Big scoring RW with injury problems. I think he might be a full time NHLer if he can stay healthy. Let's see what happens.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:34 AM   #43
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Prospect? for me it'd be Shinkaruk. He's waiver wire fodder this year, so if he doesn't make the team out of training camp... Jankowski, I agree with GranteedEV, he's in the unenviable position of being waiver wire exempt on a team full of centres. Even so, he still may find a way to surprise and make this team, he's ready for the next step. If not, next year is his defining year, after guys like Stajan have moved on.