Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #1
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Injuries

I didn't want to bring up the "Do you workout" thread as I know most people get annoyed of old threads being bumped up but I just had my first major injury.

So I recently injured my right shoulder on July 24th but that was after ignoring what was possibly 3-4 weeks worth of pain before the incident happened that I should have realized something was very wrong. (I'm quite stubborn when it comes to missing gym time)

Anyways, I had it checked out with the family doctor a week later and he told me that I've got an AC Joint Separation on right shoulder and told me to lay off of the Gym/Sport Activities or any physical labor for a couple weeks and to also go back to swimming to strengthen the muscles. He also prescribed me some prescription cream that I seem to have to apply 3 times a day. (and to be honest I don't think it works at all)

It's been just about 3 weeks now and I've got Gym and Hockey With-drawls because of this injury. Through, I don't plan on going back to the gym till September, so hopefully its gets better a lot sooner before that. Anybody have a similar injury and how long did it take to recover?

Also, any information on what I can and can't do at the gym after a shoulder injury would be quite helpful..

Thanks.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:57 PM   #2
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would check with a physiotherapist who specializes in those kinds of injuries.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

+1 for the physio recommendation. I've had a few minor injuries (knee, foot, wrist) and things seem to go so much better once I finally decide to go to physio. I don't really understand why it works so well, usually because the exercises and recommendations they give so simple and basic, but recovery is always faster with them.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:31 AM   #4
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I would check with a physiotherapist who specializes in those kinds of injuries.
Follow this advice. I will often defer to PT's for muscle/joint injuries. I find they are better at accessing/treating them than a GP.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #5
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ya, go see a physiotherapist. It's becoming more and more clear that simply resting will not fix a lot of issues. A good physio will help you treat the immediate issue, identify any aggravating causes, and prescribe exercises to stretch and/or strengthen but not aggravate.

Also, be leery of those anti-inflammatory creams. Inflammation is basically your body's response to an issue and anti-inflammatories and ice should not be overused as they can actually slow healing.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:40 AM   #6
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

No excuse for skipping leg day bro.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #7
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to assume it was only a grade 1 separation. As you can see from the picture here, a grade 2 separation has significant ligament damage associated, and you should probably wait about 2 months before using your shoulder regularly again. A grade 3 separation would require surgery to reattach.

There are a few other types, but they are of the very rare variety.

I second others in saying that rest and rehabilitative exercise are your best option, so a physiotherapist is your best bet. Have your diagnosing physician refer you to someone.

One thing that probably wasn't mentioned: white connective tissue takes an exceptionally long time to heal, so don't do too much vigorous activity with that shoulder until the 2 month mark (8 weeks). If you haven't aggravated it during that time, you should heal with a perfectly stable shoulder. If you put too much strain on your shoulder (particularly with carrying heavy weights) the scar tissue may tear/stretch, and you may heal with the ligament in an elongated position, resulting in shoulder instability. That would be worse long term, so be patient right now while you're healing up.

Swimming makes sense to me, but don't be too vigorous for the first few weeks. If you have a flare up of pain/inflammation following the activity, you probably need to back off on the intensity. That's where the anti-inflammatory creams/pills will cover up important symptoms that you need to pay attention to.

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 08:47 AM   #9
Guest1

As a swimmer that has had MANY shoulder injuries, I just wanted to pipe up that you should watch which stroke you re swimming while you rehab. I find some strokes go easier on the joints depending on the injury. I am also stubborn and tend to work through pain. Listen to what your shoulder is telling you. It's not worth completely screwing up your body body for the rest of your life, just because you can't hold off for a couple of weeks.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:10 AM   #10
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had the exact same injury. 16 months ago it happened to me and just yesterday was the first time I could do a pushup without pain.

I hurt it playing hockey and it wasn't that bad so I finished the game. In fact I played the next two games to finish up the season. I tried working out (see the DDPYoga thread) but certain movements were too hard, including the push ups. I almost immediately started playing summer ball hockey. I didn't give my shoulder a rest until this time last year. My shoulder slowly got worse. The rest helped but I did heavy lifting during the first week of September and my shoulder wasn't ready for it. Then ice hockey started again.

Now, I'm lucky that my wife is a physio because she can treat me at home and was doing so. But what held me back was not taking proper time to rest my shoulder. I stopped working out and only played hockey. It took me until late January to get my shot back. It wasn't until I completely gave up on working out, aside from hockey, thatI was feeling satisfied with the progress of my healing.

I've been working out again for the last three weeks because I took time to rest my shoulder. I did only walking or running on the treadmill for April through June. I rested my shoulder and it finally got better.

Two things helped me heal; physiotherapy and proper rest. Physio was helping but it wasn't until I rested my shoulder that healing finally took off. So rest your shoulder!!!

It will be frustrating and will take time but it will heal.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #11
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think learning how to play with the injury is really important too. I've had a number of shoulder dislocations and it's super important to alter your game to avoid reinjuring. Absorb or avoid hits. Fall properly. Increase your range of motion but don't go past it.

The one exercise I thought was really helpful was using a resistance band. Keep your elbow at your side and rotate with resistance from pocket to pocket. If you're not into to going to physio there are so many videos on YouTube for the "do it yourselfer".
Old 08-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #12
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So I just did my first physio session and it looks like there's gonna be more to come. Physician says its not a AC Joint Separation but a Shoulder tendonitis so that's good news. Need to start doing 2 types of Rotator cuff exercises strengthen the muscles now. Recommended sets of 3 and 10-15 reps once or twice a week.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:40 AM   #13
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Knowing how to properly recover is a huge part of working out IMO. Injuring yourself and losing all your gains while recovering is a bit silly. I've always been a fan of swimming. It's tiring, good resistance, and the cold water IMO helps recovery. Treading water or a slow casual lane swim is great.

IMO, Physio can get you on the right track, but ultimately, they're just diagnosing you at a point in time. What you do on a regular basis will determine the recovery. I used to go to Physio until I realized that it was my working causing back, shoulder and neck pain (+migraines). Transitioning to Yoga and swimming worked well for me while also doing the physio exercises.

If you can't strain your upper body, you might as well spend time really working on your core and stamina.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:17 AM   #14
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rrent98 View Post
So I just did my first physio session and it looks like there's gonna be more to come. Physician says its not a AC Joint Separation but a Shoulder tendonitis so that's good news. Need to start doing 2 types of Rotator cuff exercises strengthen the muscles now. Recommended sets of 3 and 10-15 reps once or twice a week.
Tendonopathy is kind of worse in a way. An injury is generally something that has a beginning, middle and end in recovery. Over use of tendons is something that can just go on and on and on and recur anytime. Shoulder issues I think would be less concerning than lower body tendonopathy because you can rest it better. You're not walking around on your shoulders all day. But I'd be careful with swimming. Maybe not the best for repetitive shoulder injuries.
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 12:24 AM   #15
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tendonitis, a GP's diagnosis when they have no clue what is going on....
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote