Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-14-2017, 07:03 PM   #101
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've met some great people in person thanks to this community, and specifically D'Arcy's grace.

I've witnessed the Flames play in the Saddledome twice (granted, they were both shut outs for the opposition!)
I attended the inaugural Heckle (I think it was the first one?)
I've discovered a ton of great music, TV and film
I've been exposed to the full spectrum of viewpoints on a thousand different issues
I've found support in a times of great stress and have seen complete strangers offer overwhelming support to others in times of great need

I would not have found these things elsewhere. I don't visit a lot of websites and this is the only one on which I am actively engaged in communication with other users.

Thanks D'Arcy for creating a way to feed my fanaticism that is exponentially superior to where we first encountered each other. I could have never imagined how much more I would benefit from it.

Well done!

Last edited by Displaced Flames fan; 08-14-2017 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Edited so it didn't sound like I thought the site was created specifically for me! WOW.
Displaced Flames fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Displaced Flames fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 07:04 PM   #102
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
Yep that was the worst. Remember how you would think there was ten guys all over you for something and it turned out to be one guy with ten accounts.
I remember the moderator being called Spiro. He was awful.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:45 PM   #103
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was a time this board ruled my life. Some seriously good stuff over the years. Definitely don't miss the years in the early-mid 2000's where you could post virtually nothing without being FATA'd nine or ten times instantly.
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:11 PM   #104
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
I remember the moderator being called Spiro. He was awful.
LOL there was a moderator? That place was just nuts / best day ever when Bingo rescued me from that board.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:30 PM   #105
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Greyshep invited me over in 99 or 2000. Been wasting way too much time here ever since.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 12:32 AM   #106
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was around 1999 or 2000 when I was on HF and complained that hardly anyone was posting in the Flames sub-forum there (at that time). FlamesDraftWatcher told me I should check out Calgarypuck and I've never looked back.

I lurked for awhile before starting my first thread, to debate whether a Marc Savard or Derek Morris holdout would be more damaging to the Flames.

I have a lot of great memories from this site:
- the Peanuts pub meet up with the likes of Bingo, Dis, ReggieDunlop, etc (and with special guest Mark Stephen!)
- the 9/11 megathread
- attending the first Heckle in Eckville
- the old chat room
- watching the 2004 game 7 victory vs. Vancouver with KevanGuy and other CPers
- going to games and having fun during the 2004 playoff run with so many CPers (KevanGuy, Bingo, looooob, josef, calgARI, Cowperson and many others)
- so many funny stories: snotboy, Jordon, wannamaker, the president, etc.

I've not really lived more than a few months in Calgary since 2004, but this site and this community is my anchor to home no matter where in the world I travel or live. I wonder how many countries I've accessed this site from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I was there. I was flamesfanont back then. Cheese who was GerryCheevers back then came over to my house in Aylmer and got a tattoo from what is now my ex wife. At least I believe it was him.
My mom is from Aylmer! Small world.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:36 AM   #107
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
So this forum has been going for 20. Another two periods of 20 and then we'll get into... Gaudreau pertinent.
Wait, what the hell is a Gaudreau pertinent?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 01:03 AM   #108
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man it doesn't seem that long ago! Thank you to everyone involved in making this a daily habit for 20 years. I lurked around before joining as well. Great community! I learned a few new things and have been entertained as well. Go Flames Go!
badradio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:07 AM   #109
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

Geez I feel old now lot of things do that these days including listening to tunes from the early 90's). I lurked and read till 2004 when I finally cracked and joined.
Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:13 AM   #110
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

THIS is what I remember seeing the first time I ever came to this site:

Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scrambler For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 02:38 AM   #111
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Wait, what the hell is a Gaudreau pertinent?
Something that is germane to Johnny.
Something that would be sweet to him.
Something like playing for the Flyers.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:01 AM   #112
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I forgot to add that after a number of losses we started putting beer in the water bottles. It helped to numb the losses
thats how we won! Schooners=Newfies. I was the token Ukranian, I put Vodka in mine.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 06:17 AM   #113
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
No, it was indeed Killer Carlson.

Sorry for not attributing it to him. The thread was closed before I could edit it.
Thanks...you saved me from booking myself in for a dementia test!
Old 08-15-2017, 06:18 AM   #114
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I was a lurker here at the start, but was never on the old site. Back then I frequented the old CBC forums, the Sportsnet forums and another Flames site that I can't recall...someone probably mentioned it in this thread actually.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:19 AM   #115
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Greyshep invited me over in 99 or 2000. Been wasting way too much time here ever since.
I go to this site multiple times a day!

But I enjoy the hockey talk and the Off topic forums are great.

I'm glad I stumbled onto this site. I don't think there is anything like it for Leafs or Habs fans, so Flames fans are pretty lucky to have a place like this.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:29 AM   #116
Fredrik
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wow... I feel old... I lurked a bit on the old site, started posted under another nick, but got more serious in december 99 (remember it, cause I started a new job at the same time). Mostly lurk these days, but do it on a regular basis.

Some funny moments:
The thread when we drafted Andrei Medveded
A poster getting ripped for annoncing we hade traded for Nazarov – which turned out to be true
The Rico Fata-threads
Me having a bet with a poster, who couldn´t post my prize, cause he went to jail (won´t name any names, still post here )
Being interviewed by the Sun, having a poster sending me a hard hat afterwards ...
Reading on Färjestads site about Mathias Johanssons nickname, posted it here, and some journalist asking him about it. He had never heard it before...
Creating the second logo for the site...

Big thanks to Bingo and the guys, you have enrichened the last 20 years!
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fredrik For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #117
fastpuck
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I love this site. I don't post much, but I check in several times a day, and it is a great forum for keeping up to-date on the Flames and the filthy Oilers.... Thanks Bingo and others for keeping it great...
fastpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:54 PM   #118
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lanny_MacDonald
On The Bubble
On the bubble is appropriate. You were never sure when he was going to pop and go mental on someone. Even back in the 2004/05 days posters were pretty careful on what they posted lest they get the "old guard" attacking them.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:18 PM   #119
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
...the other at Peanuts Pub to watch Game 6 of the 1989 Cup Finals.

Man, that was a long time ago.
Ha, yeah. Someone was selling DVD's of that game on this board, and the 2&7 coverage afterwards. Good luck doing that now. That was summer 2003. We'd met up once prior to at Peanuts, I want to say Fall 2002, and then March 2004, after the Flames beat Phoenix to make the playoffs, we had a meet up in Duttons too.

I joined March 2002, after an internet search for something else Flames related. I had gone previously in years prior to the Flames official board, which was terrible, and didn't think of alternatives to that. If I did see the pre Oct 2001 board, I likely dismissed it as being as poor as the official Flames one at the time.

Weekend I joined was just before the Flames played the Oilers in Edmonton, and myself and some friends were headed up for that; after that trip, BringBackShantz and Hulkrogan detailed the Northlands idiots kicking out a large section of the Flames fans that game (I was sitting below where that was happening). Par for the course up there in that crap hole, with beers "accidently" spilled, things thrown at you etc...but you do one thing back and you're tossed.

Lot of good times here, and a lot of time spent here, for better or worse. Shame the postings around the 2004 run has been lost to the Internet black hole.

Finally, a pop in from the long standing most frequent poster, Cowperson, would round this thread off nicely.

Last edited by browna; 08-16-2017 at 02:22 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #120
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This thread must be KILLING a few old timers who were previously banned and now have to post under new names and need to keep that a secret! haha.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post: