Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-15-2017, 11:39 PM   #7941
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
The difference in climate in the winter is astounding. It's often snow free here for spells in the middle of winter and the spring thaw is a month earlier.

I think some people don't realize how close the mountains are. It's a 45 minute drive down highway 66 to 1000 m scrambles.
Yep you can hike Prarie Mountain every month in shorts
Old 08-16-2017, 12:15 AM   #7942
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
In terms of economy they may be number one and two in the world.

I struggle to think of anywhere else that combines such high earning power (Especially in non prestige fields ie. Doctor, Lawyer, Finance), with such cheap housing prices.

As far as things to do/see. Pretty bland.
Is this a joke?
Old 08-16-2017, 02:34 AM   #7943
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lol it's even funnier when I think of it more. Something tells me oil stain has never left Alberta.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #7944
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Northern California and the Sierras I think rolls over Calgary on every category IMHO. Likewise the coastal range north of Vancouver is far more than just Whistler and having the ocean beside you is a huge plus for YVR. Could say likewise for Seattle Denver Colorado provides similar access to the Rockies with a much shorter winter - and much of the Colorado range is over 14000 feet.

the Rockies are incredibly scenic but the rock can be quite poor in quality and the skiing here is actually not that great because we live in a dry pocket (ie. low snowfall) and the winter is too damn cold.

Off this continent but staying in the G8 - Southern france and the Alps are amazing - with a better climate and granite mountains - albeit very crowded. Auckland New Zealand is also highly ranked for urban living and outdoor lifestyle - again with the climate that beats Calgary every time.

I like it here - but its far from #1
Not sure where you would live to have good access to the Sierras. (Ie day trips possible). Though you do have better climbing rock it's certainly not as scenic. I'd argue the Colorado Rockies and PNW are underwhelming. A 14000 ft mountain you can drive to the top of is not that exciting. But some of that is preference. Alps are far to busy. There is barely something resembling the outdoors left. It's all developed. Though that might be a pro for some people. Vancouver barely has mountains. Though if you are a Ocean person in does have that.

I'll give you Auckland New Zealand. I have never been there but from talking with people who have I think you are probably right. You also seem to dislike winter which appears to suppress your view of Calgary.

I think in general you under appreciate what you have here in terms of the combination of a high paying job in a city with good but not great amenities with premiere access to the outdoors.

Last edited by GGG; 08-16-2017 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:30 AM   #7945
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the record, if you add it all together I've lived in the greater Edmonton area for almost a third of my life, all my family is there. I definitely prefer Calgary and think it's the much prettier city, but I like Edmonton more than I let on in this thread, it's just chirps. I wish the BoA (beyond just hockey) and context of this thread didn't need explaining every few pages in this thread, especially to our own fanbase.

Just buy into the thread & rivalry fun. Go throw on a Flames jersey and walk around Edmonton for a day or two, I bet you'll hear lots of chirps that extend well beyond just the hockey team..

Last edited by Sainters7; 08-16-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:44 AM   #7946
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

I think in general you under appreciate what you have here in terms of the combination of a high paying job in a city with good but not great amenities with premiere access to the outdoors.
To some extent, just being the devil's advocate. i more or less agree with you. But for the climate here is not very good. More summer would be great though. And to bring this back into the thread - we can all agree Calgary beats Edmonton every time on all these factors.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:50 AM   #7947
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

All this city comparison stuff is just . . .

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #7948
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here, Edmonton is no longer a bunch of weaklings:

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...-says-enforcer

Quote:
This just in from NHL tough guy Shawn Thornton, an interview with the WEEI sports radio network where he says the Edmonton Oilers are now the toughest team in the entire league.
“Intimidation is still a part of life, it’s still definitely still part of the game of hockey,” said Thornton, now 40. “I’ve had this conversation with general managers, it’s not out yet. You look at the Edmonton Oilers, and they probably have one of the most talented young teams in the league, but they’re also the toughest team in the league, and I think that’s part of the reason why they had some success.”
Quote:
My take

That is high praise coming from Thornton, one of the true hard men of hockey.

There were a handful of folks who claimed when the Oilers were one of the smallest and weakest teams in the NHL that size and toughness didn’t matter, that teams like the Chicago Blackhawks proved an NHL team could win without having a line-up loaded with intimidating players. I love great skilled players like Patrick Kane and Marian Hossa as much as the next hockey fan, but I never fully bought that line of thinking. It’s good to have skilled players on your team, but it’s even better to have skilled, tough and mean players — and the Edmonton Oilers were almost completely lacking in that category.
Quote:
We also had commentator Don Cherry in the playoffs talking about Edmonton’s transformation from wimps to toughs. “They were sucks before. Let’s face it, they got all these big tough guys. I think they took them by surprise — #they won’t next year. But I’ll tell ya, nobody pushes them around with Lucic and guys like that. They are a team you don’t push around.”

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #7949
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ You're doing it wrong.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:12 AM   #7950
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post

I would argue in this day and age that's an over rated feature of a roster. Most teams are going away from toughness in a sense. The 3rd and 4th lines that used to be the home of the cement head, are now home to the great defensive players. Or the agitators

I mean its great if you have a guy like Lucic or Maroon who can throw down and protect McDavid. But lets be honest, Johnny took 8 million slashes last year and the toughness really should have come from the officiating team.

I mean frankly with that team toughness thing what are you going to do? Jump someone and take the instigator penalty.

If its toughness on the boards and in the forecheck that's a different kind of tough and the Flames have guys that do a great job of winning board battles.

Its typical Edmonton, like Mullets and sweatpants from Sears, they're 5 years behind the times.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:40 AM   #7951
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
^ You're doing it wrong.
Not really. Local Oilers shill David Staples coming out with the shocking revelation that a "larger" "tougher" Oilers roster is a better team is akin to a hot take. Of course he thinks so: Staples would write an article about the tremendous benefits that the Oilers' regular proximity to the aroura borealis combined by the perfect assemblage of players named "Mark" and "Ryan" on the roster as key ingredients to future success if he could only find a source to make such claims.

Any "article" from the pen of David Staples points overwhelmingly to the truth that Edmonton is no good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 12:50 PM   #7952
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
^ You're doing it wrong.
Yeah, I dont think so.

I look at that roster and to call them 'the toughest team in the League' is patently absurd as to be outright false.

Lucic? Hes the worst! Hes a wuss with a temper. He'll stamp his feet and get his face smashed in....when he eventually shows up.

Toughest group in the League? By what metric? This is just more Edmonton propaganda.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #7953
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is nothing new, ...It is nauseating. Shut up, Edmonton, until your hapless collection of hockey hubris has actually accomplished something—ANYTHING—then shut the hell up.
Spector is a buffoon

Old 08-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #7954
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

wrong thread.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 08-16-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #7955
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Charges laid after multi-million dollar chop shop discovered in northeast Edmonton

http://globalnews.ca/news/3674553/ch...east-edmonton/
Old 08-16-2017, 03:41 PM   #7956
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Lol it's even funnier when I think of it more. Something tells me oil stain has never left Alberta.
Hey! I've been to Moosejaw!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #7957
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

This city comparison stuff, meh. Both are essentially the same sized cities in western Canada with very little difference between the two. There is nothing you can do in Edmonton that you can't do in Calgary. That's vica versa as well. You can always tell who has edmonton or calgary roots on that topic, by way of posts/comments.

I like the Flames but don't care bout the Oilers! That's what matters.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:15 PM   #7958
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post

Meh, a year from now, Lucic won't even be in their top 6, nor will maroon. Every team has their tough guys in the bottom lines, where Lucic and Kassian will be.

Of course they have replacements in their top6 for this toughness.... Yamato? Poolparty?
Old 08-16-2017, 05:44 PM   #7959
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Hey! I've been to Moosejaw!
The town named after former PM Brian Mulroney?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 08:21 PM   #7960
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Edmonton right now. Can confirm it sucks. Smells too.
Closed Thread