Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #2921
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playing around with google maps the furthest away I can get any person living south of 16th ave and east of 10th sw and west of the Bridgeland station is a 2km walk. That's a person living at about 5th Ave and 8th St.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #2922
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Don't forget about riders that would be frequenting businesses in the area, or employed by them. It isn't very dense residential area, but there are a lot of businesses along Centre. I'm certainly not saying that this justifies such an expensive station right now, but the possibility of future TOD in the area would help to justify it later.

If this were a regular station, it would be a no brainer. But the depth/cost really does make it tricky.
It's not every going to be a TOD though. It's to close to downtown, TOD's are farther from the core, like Westbrook and Brentwood. I just don't see the density requiring this for at least 50 years. It made sense when they were talking about surface LRT to have a stop here, now it doesn't.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #2923
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's not every going to be a TOD though. It's to close to downtown, TOD's are farther from the core, like Westbrook and Brentwood. I just don't see the density requiring this for at least 50 years. It made sense when they were talking about surface LRT to have a stop here, now it doesn't.
Well not a TOD in the same sense as the big, master-planned areas of Brentwood and Westbrook. I was more referring to the opportunity to gradually increase density in the vicinity by having a station there, and attracting residents, customers, and employees who don't rely on cars. It is a chicken and egg thing - while the density now doesn't justify it, having it would increase the density/justification. Granted over decades.

That being said, I agree with you fully that if it were at the surface, it would make sense. Unfortunately, at that depth, the money would go a lot further elsewhere.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:27 AM   #2924
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

The city is currently conducting a master plan for the Rundle LRT area. They're currently seeking feedback on three concepts, and some suggested improvements for the public realm. The first draft of the master plan should be presented in October.

http://engage.calgary.ca/rundle
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:18 PM   #2925
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Christ, just minding your own business waiting for a CTrain. Murdered in broad daylight during rush hour.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rges-1.4144960
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #2926
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You can find his Facebook and its pretty open. Search his name and you can find it.

Quote:
The man charged in a deadly “unprovoked” stabbing at a Calgary light rapid transit station on Friday night once walked away from a Fraser Valley prison.

Keeton Michel Gagnon, 39, faces a second-degree murder charge in relation to the attack that claimed the life of a 46-year-old man.

Police identified the victim as Nicholas Nwonye. He was taken to hospital where he later died of his injuries.

Insp. Don Coleman of the Calgary Police Service’s Major Crimes Section said the attack occurred on the CTrain platform and appeared to be unprovoked. The suspect was captured while trying to get away on a train.

In October 2005, Gagnon walked away from the Kwikwexwelhp Healing Village, 37 kilometres east of Mission. He has a long criminal record in B.C., with dozens of charges stretching back almost two decades. He faced charges in Burnaby in 1998 for allegedly escaping lawful custody. In 2015, he was charged with assault with a weapon.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:12 PM   #2927
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
You can find his Facebook and its pretty open. Search his name and you can find it.
Has to be more to it - I doubt completely random, could be drug or gang related (one would hope from a safety perspective)

Related note, wow the honesty of that guy is on his fb

Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:36 PM   #2928
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunately Nicholas was a nursing student at Bow Valley College, just getting out of class. So it does seem as though it was random
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #2929
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never had any fear walking around this city, often at all hours of the night. I gotta say though, recent stories like this, and the girl being abducted off the street and raped, have me looking at Calgary differently. Maybe it's a distorted view from a few media cases, but this city feels less safe than it did 10 years ago.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #2930
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I've never had any fear walking around this city, often at all hours of the night. I gotta say though, recent stories like this, and the girl being abducted off the street and raped, have me looking at Calgary differently. Maybe it's a distorted view from a few media cases, but this city feels less safe than it did 10 years ago.
A buddy and I were walking to my office at 3 am on Thursday night last week and we were approached by a group of 8 or so homeless folks who started harassing us for money. We politely declined and kept walking and they kept following and yelling at us til we got to my office. There was a security guard there who was wondering what the commotion was.

First time I have felt actually a little scared for my well being in Calgary.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #2931
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Unfortunately Nicholas was a nursing student at Bow Valley College, just getting out of class. So it does seem as though it was random
Leaves behind a wife and three kids Moved to Canada from Nigeria recently and had just started classes four weeks earlier.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/06/05...ble-impression
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:52 PM   #2932
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

FFS

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...gnon-1.4147312

Eighteen months ago, Nicolas Nwonye, 46, left his job as an engineer in Nigeria to bring his family to Canada.

On Friday, he died after being randomly attacked by a man with a knife.

News of Nwonye's death "devastated" both Hersak and her students.

She said there is a lot of concern about Nwonye's wife's financial situation. He did not have life insurance and his wife is now caring for their three children, including a three month old baby, alone.

Suspect is a career criminal from B.C

Gagnon has a long criminal history with police in British Columbia dating back two decades. He's a career criminal with dozens of convictions including assault with a weapon, robbery, escaping custody, and many breaches.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:08 PM   #2933
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a waste.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #2934
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole college is pretty shaken up right now. Have to feel for the family.. seems like it could have been anybody. Really too bad
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #2935
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fundraiser for the guy randomly murdered at CTrain station.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...bing-1.4148679

https://www.gofundme.com/nicholas-nwonye
Old 06-22-2017, 12:21 PM   #2936
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What does this latest news mean for the Green Line? Are they saying it will be built all the way north past 16th, or is it still being built in the two phases where 16th and beyond are postponed indefinitely?

http://calgaryherald.com/news/traffi...tion-locations

Quote:
The committee approved the full 46-kilometre alignment after hearing from several citizens who spoke favourably of the selected route.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #2937
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
What does this latest news mean for the Green Line? Are they saying it will be built all the way north past 16th, or is it still being built in the two phases where 16th and beyond are postponed indefinitely?

http://calgaryherald.com/news/traffi...tion-locations
Stage 1 will still be 16th ave N to Shepard.

The rest of the line will be just be an approved ROW, for now.

There is still plenty of time for more of the line to be added so that construction is continuous.

There is probably 3 years worth of land acquisition work prior to the rest of the North section being ready to go.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:27 AM   #2938
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rumour is that the Province of Alberta will announce their share of funding for the Green Line LRT Phase 1 today at a media event at 10:30 at 4th Street Station.

This is the last piece of funding needed as the City federal government have already committed.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:30 AM   #2939
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great news. Can't see how they can afford to fund it, but it seems like they really have no choice but to pony up.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #2940
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a big day. Largest infrastructure project in calgary history.

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings