Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2017, 04:47 PM   #661
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

good steak seasoning or salt rub tips?

I'm still not getting it right.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #662
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post

All i use is salt and pepper on my steaks. But get a GOOD quality flaked sea salt, I used regular and a smoked sea salt I found. Use enough salt that it looks like its almost too much and that is usually the right amount. Cook, rest, cut and sprinkle more on before serving.

Last edited by Gundo; 06-23-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gundo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 06:46 PM   #663
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Totally disagree. The biggest problem with seasonings is that most of them have far too much salt. Go to Silk Road, buy the St Laurent steak blend, sprinkle onto fatty areas then spread around and pat in.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:33 PM   #664
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
What kind of oil are you guys using? I prefer to use Olive Oil but was told it's smoking temp is too low and better to use vegetable?

**edit** Maybe that was for frying now that I think about it.....
I use olive oil and have never had an issue. Just a little brushed over the meat, you don't want to have it soaked in oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post

I just buy the steak spice at Master Meats, so good.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 10:21 PM   #665
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Master Meats is great. Just grabbed some one week late fathers day steaks for tomorrow night. They look delicious.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #666
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just another reminder to ditch your bristle brush and replace it with something that won't leave you in the hospital.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...193970?cmp=rss
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 08:34 AM   #667
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Just another reminder to ditch your bristle brush and replace it with something that won't leave you in the hospital.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...193970?cmp=rss
I've only seen the cedar planks at Costco and Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-10-2017, 08:38 AM   #668
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or spend more money on a higher quality product. It's not surprising you hear more of these stories now when you can go buy a $4 scraper made in China.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 08:49 AM   #669
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post

I made mine out of oak, becuase I like my wood hard.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:51 AM   #670
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Or spend more money on a higher quality product. It's not surprising you hear more of these stories now when you can go buy a $4 scraper made in China.
I spent some time looknig a few years ago, but I couldn't find any assurance that anything was higher quality. From what I've read, even the "good" ones will shed some bristles, which makes sense becuase flexible metal will flex and break one day. I took one look at my grill on the ledges holding the grates, and the number of wires I saw was enough to convince me to switch. Wood scrapers work fine, so I don't see any reason to risk a bristle brush.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #671
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's going to happen. It's just the nature of bending metal back and forth. Eventually the bristles will fatigue and break.

I haven't picked up the cedar scraper yet, and for now just using using the edge of the large spatula to scrape off bits of food off of the grates.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:54 AM   #672
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not cedar (if that matters?) but you can get them at BBQ Galore as well.

It's a little strange that this is suddenly an issue though. I can't remember any type of brush aside from the metal bristles and until the last year or two I didn't hear anything about these injuries. Maybe I just didn't pay attention?

I don't really like the wood scraper though. It might be great once its worn down enough to be a perfect fit for your grill, but until then its substandard, which makes me not want to use it...and it never gets worn down properly. Then I just think once its a perfect fit you have a little while of that perfection and it will wear past that point to be not good again?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:00 AM   #673
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

It's a little strange that this is suddenly an issue though. I can't remember any type of brush aside from the metal bristles and until the last year or two I didn't hear anything about these injuries. Maybe I just didn't pay attention?

I don't really like the wood scraper though. It might be great once its worn down enough to be a perfect fit for your grill, but until then its substandard, which makes me not want to use it...and it never gets worn down properly. Then I just think once its a perfect fit you have a little while of that perfection and it will wear past that point to be not good again?
Mine works fine. To set the grooves you have the grill at high heat and with a little pressure you get some nice grooves after a couple passes. Once you have the grooves you are supposed to scrape at a lower temp, then you don't wear it out as quick.

Maybe the softer wood conforms to the grill quicker?
Old 07-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #674
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I bought a stack of those cedar scrapers from Costco and have been giving them out as gifts. Great price point to either be a small gift or part of a bigger one and very useful for everyone.

Have had great reactions so far.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #675
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

Again I think its a quality issue. People buying rubber, cheap made scrappers are having issues.

I still have a metal scrapper, but the bristles are gold coloured and attached in a way that is different than your standard rubber one.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #676
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can also use a file or sandpaper to get some starter grooves going. I usually notice one of these stories every year or so. It's a small risk, but one I don't wan't to take as ending up with a perforated bowel doesn't sound like a good Saturday night.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #677
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I used to buy the package of cedar paneling from Totem/Rona so I could cut to my own length and if I needed it wider, they were tongue and grove. I don't believe they were treated with anything as cedar usually isn't. A package would do several cooks and worked out much cheaper than buying the individual specialty planks.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #678
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mine works fine. To set the grooves you have the grill at high heat and with a little pressure you get some nice grooves after a couple passes. Once you have the grooves you are supposed to scrape at a lower temp, then you don't wear it out as quick.

Maybe the softer wood conforms to the grill quicker?
Yeah I could be just lazy here for sure! I think ?I just tried it once and went back to bristledom.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #679
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again I think its a quality issue. People buying rubber, cheap made scrappers are having issues.

I still have a metal scrapper, but the bristles are gold coloured and attached in a way that is different than your standard rubber one.
Take a really good look around the edges of your grill. I'm sure you will spot a few errant bristles.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #680
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.h...000727369.html

I've been using one of these for like 5 years. I have been wondering about how people were unable to see the bristles that were still on the grill for some time now, but when I read the most recent article I saw the brush they had been using and realized how small and thin the bristles are. I guess it had been so long since I'd used one of those brushes I forgot how tiny the bristles actually are. If a bristle came out of mine I'd like to think it would be more visible to the eye. I am curious about the wooden ones though.

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber