Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #81
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you look no further than Antifa's name, sure. If you actually look at the kind of things they do in practice, they're a violent anarchist movement that is far more fascistic and oppressive than the people they tend to oppose.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #82
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I don't think I could ever join a group like this.

I just can't for the life of me grow a beard or mustache. And there's no way I'd want to always be relegated to background flag waving duty.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
V
Old 06-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #83
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
That's why I always get lost in these threads. I never thought being agasint fascism was a bad thing.
Antifa is about as close as you can get to modern day Brown Shirts in America, despite what they call themselves.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #84
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #85
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

They were talking about these losers on the 6 o'clock news tonight.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:45 PM   #86
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I don't think I could ever join a group like this.

I just can't for the life of me grow a beard or mustache. And there's no way I'd want to always be relegated to background flag waving duty.
You could go cue ball and tattoo the hell out of it. I mean, if facial hair is the only thing holding you back...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #87
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

I love the videos where the antifa losers get a knuckle sandwich after blocking someone from going to work, ect... And then crying to nearby cops to do something.

It's as if they don't even know what antifa stands for.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #88
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Out of curiousity how long have the Antifa been around.

I still remember it wasn't that long ago that it was the anarchists that were the supreme jerks of the protest circuit.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:37 AM   #89
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsd1 View Post
So you're a fascist? What's wrong with being antifa?
Antifa are fascists themselves, it's ironic that they can't see that. It's not just your message that makes you a fascist, it's how you enforce it.

When you're marching through the streets in black clothing attempting to silence people, it should be a big tip off to the fact you've crossed a line. Just because you've declared yourself an anti-racist doesn't justify your actions.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #90
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Out of curiousity how long have the Antifa been around.

Antifa is derived from the German anti-Fascist movement known as "Antifaschistische Aktion"
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #91
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, it just seems like they've increased what they're doing.

Reading on them a bit their structure and methods are a lot like the early Brown Shirts of the Nazi Party.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:58 AM   #92
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yeah, it just seems like they've increased what they're doing.

Reading on them a bit their structure and methods are a lot like the early Brown Shirts of the Nazi Party.
The irony is that the Communist Party of Germany founded the movement for that specific reason- to fight the Nazi Party, and the Brown Shirts.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:38 AM   #93
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
If you look no further than Antifa's name, sure. If you actually look at the kind of things they do in practice, they're a violent anarchist movement that is far more fascistic and oppressive than the people they tend to oppose.
Either you have no clue what fascism actually means, or what anarchism as a political movement means, or both.

In any case, what you just said makes no sense. Here's a hint: neither movement is defined by their methods.

EDIT:
Btw, violent anarchists and violent fascists generally use very different methods actually, because they draw inspiration from very different sources and have very different goals. The similarities are mostly superficial.

Some examples:
Violent anarchists often use masks or disguises. They use similar clothes to each other because they want to remain unrecognizable. They identify with guerilla tactics. Hit and run, hide in the crowd.

Fascists generally don't wear masks. Even if they do, they want to be recognizable as fascists, which is why they tend to use uniforms or outfits that effectively work as uniforms. They identify with military organizations, which openly display their colors and numbers.

Vast majority of anarchist action is targeted against property, and that is considered a way to attack instititutions. Many anarchists go out of their way to avoid damage to people. They are ready to fight the police, but generally that's a means to an end. For example, they might want to provoke police violence, or they might want to get past the police to attack certain property or to gain access to a certain place. They do actively initiate violence against fascists, but only against clearly outright fascist groups, the types that wear uniforms etc. They also rarely attack lone targets. Their violent attacks are generally planned in advance, not random attacks of opportunity.

Fascists target people and groups of people. They want everyone to know who they are, and they want everyone to fear them. Damage to property is a way to attack people, but straight up violence is a preferred method. Fascists often have street patrols which actively go out looking for people to hurt and scare, so attacks of opportunity are common, and most attacks are against a single person. Fascists often have sympathies for the police, and vice versa, so unlike anarchists they often avoid outright conflicts with the police. (With the exception of situations where they want to show that the police are unable to stop them.)

Anarchists and fascists also have completely different political goals. Fascists strive for control of the society, which means they're interested in political sympathies and political power. They very commonly have active members or sympathizers inside the police. Anarchists mostly consider themselves as provocateurs and thorns in the side of power, and essentially never want to work within the system.

These things are just some examples why I think comparing fascists and anarchists as "similar" is nonsense. Anarchists are a nuisance that are mostly harmless to the general society. Fascists are seriously dangerous.

Last edited by Itse; 06-25-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 07:08 AM   #94
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Vast majority of anarchist action is targeted against property, and that is considered a way to attack instititutions. Many anarchists go out of their way to avoid damage to people. They are ready to fight the police, but generally that's a means to an end. For example, they might want to provoke police violence, or they might want to get past the police to attack certain property or to gain access to a certain place. They do actively initiate violence against fascists, but only against clearly outright fascist groups, the types that wear uniforms etc. They also rarely attack lone targets. Their violent attacks are generally planned in advance, not random attacks of opportunity.
Unfortunately, the Antifa defines "fascists" as "anyone who opposes them". Could be a Trump supporter, a guy filming them, a businessman going to work, etc. Haters are haters. The the true anarchists are in the slim minority. The two groups have more in common then they would like to admit. You also have to keep in mind that the so-called "anarchists" are mainly composed of young White middle-class students, with too much time on their hands, and just looking for some form of excitement. It's not like they are a marginalized group.

Last edited by ToewsFan; 06-25-2017 at 08:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToewsFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 07:26 AM   #95
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

*enters thread about publicly bigoted groups in Calgary*

"UHHH BUT THERE ARE DIFFERENT GROUPS THAT WERE VIOLENT SOMEWHERE ELSE BEFORE"

*smugly walks out of thread*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:29 AM   #96
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

These losers look the same where ever you see these groups, in Iceland its some viking group, again beared white men who clearly needed more hugs as kids.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:46 AM   #97
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
These losers look the same where ever you see these groups, in Iceland its some viking group, again beared white men who clearly needed more hugs as kids.
Sad indeed, when you see men in their 30s/40s stage a demonstration with no support from the locals. I'm sure these guys secretly are wondering where in life they went wrong.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #98
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToewsFan View Post
Unfortunately, the Antifa defines "fascists" as "anyone who opposes them". Could be a Trump supporter, a guy filming them, a businessman going to work, etc. Haters are haters. The the true anarchists are in the slim minority. The two groups have more in common then they would like to admit.
That sounds like a North American phenomenon to me. I guess over there those people are suffering from a lack of legitimate targets, as you don't have openly fascist groups the same way every country in Europe does. The actual Antifa activities over here are pretty genuinely targeted against actual fascists. We even have plenty of outright self-identifying nazis to attack.

Also, Antifa are not all anarchists, although some are. It is generally what the name suggests, a collection of various actively anti-fascist people. These kinds of activist groups tend to be very confusing to outsiders, because there's always all sorts of people involved with often conflicting ideas both about methods and sometimes about targets.

Those individual people then go on to speak for the whole of Antifa (or what ever activist group we're talking about) often without actually representing them in any real sense.

Mainstream media generally is completely incapable of and uninterested in keeping track of who actually does or says what, instead just going for what ever storyline they think will sell. Which is mostly some variation of "look at these crazy people" or "youth of today are idiots".

Quote:
You also have to keep in mind that the so-called "anarchists" are mainly composed of young White middle-class students, with too much time on their hands, and just looking for some form of excitement. It's not like they are a marginalized group.
I'm not sure "just looking for excitement" is at all fair, but I agree that they tend to be fairly privileged group. Which is understandable, because you have to be pretty ridiculously sheltered to think anarchism is actually a good idea. Plus you can't get anarchism at all without doing a heavy amount of reading, which in itself means anarchists have more or less academic backgrounds.

They do have some interesting and worthwhile perspectives on society though.

Last edited by Itse; 06-25-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 11:44 AM   #99
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Either you have no clue what fascism actually means, or what anarchism as a political movement means, or both.
They're anarchistic in apparent goal and fascistic in method - that is to say, thuggishly oppressive of those who don't agree with their dogma. For example:
Quote:
Fascists target people and groups of people.... Fascists often have street patrols which actively go out looking for people to hurt and scare, so attacks of opportunity are common, and most attacks are against a single person.
Antifa are essentially a mob that beats the #### out of people who say things they don't like.

As for the aforementioned goals, the problem is that like most movements in the past ten years they can't coherently express their position on anything. Whether it's the tea party or OWS, left or right, getting together a group to "do something" seems to have no philosophy or end game to it anymore. They simply want to hurt people who they perceive as evil and consider themselves to be morally justified in doing so. Hence, they are absolutely dangerous.

And of course, after recoiling at comparisons to an ideologically dedicated pro-Israel poster you've now followed up by defending a blight on society. I can't say I'm totally surprised, but for ####'s sake... This is like Northcrunk or someone coming in here and defending Richard Spencer and company.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 03:59 PM   #100
HarryH93
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anybody manage to see the rally today?